Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Wood is This? Part 2

A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Has been ambiently air dried over time.
Very hard, very heavy.
I can barely make a pin head sized hole by pushing a center push into it
with my palm.
The piece 41" x 6" x 1-5/8" weighs 13.5lbs.

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Yes, that reddish/maroon tint is accurate.

Rosewood?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about ipé http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia ?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Has been ambiently air dried over time.
Very hard, very heavy.
I can barely make a pin head sized hole by pushing a center push into
it with my palm.
The piece 41" x 6" x 1-5/8" weighs 13.5lbs.

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Yes, that reddish/maroon tint is accurate.

Rosewood?

How about ipé http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia ?

If it looks like ipe, walks like ipe and quacks like ipe...

How DO I get myself into these things?

twitch,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about ipé http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia ?

At one time I had a bookmark for a great website that has image samples
of just about every species of wood known to man.
If anyone has a link like that, pass it on.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

How about ipé http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia ?

At one time I had a bookmark for a great website that has image
samples
of just about every species of wood known to man.
If anyone has a link like that, pass it on.

This is one .....

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Hundreds of wood types, thousands of pictures

Posted to rec.woodworking

DiggerOp wrote:
This is one .....

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Hundreds of wood types, thousands of pictures

sumbich, that might the one.

thanks a lot

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 12:07*am, "DiggerOp" wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message

How about ipé http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia ?

At one time I had a bookmark for a great website that has image
samples
of just about every species of wood known to man.
If anyone has a link like that, pass it on.

This is one .....

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Hundreds of wood types, thousands of pictures

That is just intense! What a find, thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Has been ambiently air dried over time.
Very hard, very heavy.
I can barely make a pin head sized hole by pushing a center push into it
with my palm.
The piece 41" x 6" x 1-5/8" weighs 13.5lbs.

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Yes, that reddish/maroon tint is accurate.

Rosewood?

Looks like Ipe. Ipe often has a very fine dust that will look green in
color, not to be confused with the brownish saw dust. Also if you get a
citrus cleaner on the dust it will turn blood red. CMT Formula 2050 blade
and bit cleaner will turn the dust blood red as does my sweat sometimes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Looks like Ipe. Ipe often has a very fine dust that will look green in
color, not to be confused with the brownish saw dust. Also if you get a
citrus cleaner on the dust it will turn blood red. CMT Formula 2050 blade
and bit cleaner will turn the dust blood red as does my sweat sometimes.

I haven't tried that, but the sawdust and burn marks are very purple and
pink.
It's very similar to Purpleheart...... no, it's not Purpleheart.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 10:32*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Don't rule out Afromosia. I have some Afromosia that looks identical
to the color and grain pattern of the smaller piece in the picture. I
built a bed out of it years ago. One thing I remember about it was
the distinctive taste the sawdust had. I got a good taste of it from
the very fine dust that flew when I cut it on the table saw. Dense
and very hard.

Thanks to DiggerOp for posting the wood picture i.d. site. Nice site,
but the picture of Afromosia is lighter and not as strongly grained as
the samples I had.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't rule out Afromosia.

===============================

======================
Check out afromosia: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

KIMOSABE wrote:
Don't rule out Afromosia.

===============================

======================
Check out afromosia:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm

If it really matters then cut a sample and send it to FPL
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

KIMOSABE wrote:
Don't rule out Afromosia.

===============================

======================
Check out afromosia: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm

Thanks you and the other guy who suggested afrormosia.
I would guess it's something else since it came from South America and
all sources point to afrormosia being African, bit you never know.

On a side note,
I read some commentary on that site in which the author complains that
digital pics show too much red in their photos, making it difficult to tell
what color a wood sample really is.

I'm having the opposite problem, my camera won't show how much red there
really is in this wood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
KIMOSABE wrote:
Don't rule out Afromosia.

===============================

======================
Check out afromosia:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm

If it really matters then cut a sample and send it to FPL
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html.

That is very cool. Thanks for that link.
My enthusiasm is tempered however, considering that we are already
paying for the service.

I think I'll send in a piece of southern yellow pine, to see if they
have a sense of humor.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE- wrote:
A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Has been ambiently air dried over time.
Very hard, very heavy.
I can barely make a pin head sized hole by pushing a center push into it
with my palm.
The piece 41" x 6" x 1-5/8" weighs 13.5lbs.

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Yes, that reddish/maroon tint is accurate.

Rosewood?

Looks more like bubinga to me; OTOH, most bubinga is African, not S.
American.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Looks more like bubinga to me; OTOH, most bubinga is African, not S.
American.

Thanks, Doug.
I've worked with Bubinga and this is quite different.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Looks more like bubinga to me; OTOH, most bubinga is African, not S.
American.

Thanks, Doug.
I've worked with Bubinga and this is quite different.

Then I'm baffled. :-) Pics don't look like anything else that I've ever worked
with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Thanks, Doug.
I've worked with Bubinga and this is quite different.

Then I'm baffled. :-) Pics don't look like anything else that I've ever worked
with.

You and I, both. This is kind of fun though.
I'm learning a lot about species identification and a lot about
how UNreliable web photos on a computer screen can be.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
KIMOSABE wrote:
Don't rule out Afromosia.

===============================

======================
Check out afromosia:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm

Thanks you and the other guy who suggested afrormosia.
I would guess it's something else since it came from South America and
all sources point to afrormosia being African, bit you never know.

On a side note,
I read some commentary on that site in which the author complains that
digital pics show too much red in their photos, making it difficult to tell
what color a wood sample really is.

I'm having the opposite problem, my camera won't show how much red there
really is in this wood.

The light seems very yellow or maybe green.

I'm a half-assed photographer but, shooting it on a matte, dark, neutral
background in diffuse daylight or using a diffused flash might answer
all needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , phorbin1
@yahoo.com says...
In article ,
says...
KIMOSABE wrote:
Don't rule out Afromosia.
===============================

======================
Check out afromosia:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...afrormosia.htm

Thanks you and the other guy who suggested afrormosia.
I would guess it's something else since it came from South America and
all sources point to afrormosia being African, bit you never know.

On a side note,
I read some commentary on that site in which the author complains that
digital pics show too much red in their photos, making it difficult to tell
what color a wood sample really is.

I'm having the opposite problem, my camera won't show how much red there
really is in this wood.

The light seems very yellow or maybe green.

I'm a half-assed photographer but, shooting it on a matte, dark, neutral
background in diffuse daylight or using a diffused flash might answer
all needs.

I said this without looking at the other pic.

The blowout on the upper right and shadowed edge of the board suggests
backlighting. A window?

If it's a window, you might try the suggestions above from the other
side, using the window as your light source.

Posted to rec.woodworking

phorbin wrote:
I'm having the opposite problem, my camera won't show how much red there
really is in this wood.

The light seems very yellow or maybe green.

I'm a half-assed photographer but, shooting it on a matte, dark, neutral
background in diffuse daylight or using a diffused flash might answer
all needs.

I said this without looking at the other pic.

The blowout on the upper right and shadowed edge of the board suggests
backlighting. A window?

If it's a window, you might try the suggestions above from the other
side, using the window as your light source.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, there's a window. (duh! -- to me)
The lights are those "daylight" florescent tubes that are supposed to be
6500k, but I still find a bit too green.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--