Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Wood is This? Part 2

A friend worked at the airport and gave this to me.
It was confiscated by customs from a South American flight.

Has been ambiently air dried over time.
Very hard, very heavy.
I can barely make a pin head sized hole by pushing a center push into it
with my palm.
The piece 41" x 6" x 1-5/8" weighs 13.5lbs.

http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/mysterywood2.jpg

Yes, that reddish/maroon tint is accurate.

Rosewood?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)