Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plywood Rabbets - Dado Blade on TS or Router??

Hey All,

So, a quick question,

I need to make some 5/16 x 5/16 rabbets on the edge of some birch
plywood replacement kitchen cabinet doors I am making.

Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for
trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table saw
or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?

The doors aren't that big, 22" x 14" do they wouldn't be unwieldy for
either method.

I have no problem going either way, but as, for some reason, I haven't
had cause to cut any rabbets in a long time and now have both a nice
Dado blade set (freud) and a new P-C 3-1/4 HP speedmatic router in a
new cast iron router table extension for my table saw, I figured I
could go either way and wanted folks opinions on the pros and cons of
each method.

Any suggestions, opinions, ideas greatly appreciated.
-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Chef Juke" wrote in message
news
[...]

I use these:
http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinf...umber=00%2D155
But I don't use the router in a table.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chef Juke" wrote:

I need to make some 5/16 x 5/16 rabbets on the edge of some birch
plywood replacement kitchen cabinet doors I am making.

Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for
trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table
saw
or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?

I'd set up a 1/4 wide dado, make a pass, then end for end and make a
2nd pass.

This will allow you to make sure rabbet is centered and also allows
you to adjust witdh of dado, if necessary.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chef Juke"
So, a quick question,

I need to make some 5/16 x 5/16 rabbets on the edge of some birch
plywood replacement kitchen cabinet doors I am making.

Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for
trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table saw
or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?

One man's poi is another man's poison ... I would always opt for the table
saw, with a sacrificial fence, over a router to do this job. An easy, quick,
accurate, less chance of tearout, one pass operation.

But then, that's just my preference ... YMMV

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
"Chef Juke" wrote:

I need to make some 5/16 x 5/16 rabbets on the edge of some birch
plywood replacement kitchen cabinet doors I am making.

I'd set up a 1/4 wide dado, make a pass, then end for end and make a 2nd
pass.

This will allow you to make sure rabbet is centered and also allows you to
adjust witdh of dado, if necessary.

Centered on what, Lew?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:03:55 -0800, Chef Juke
wrote:

[...]

All,

ThanksMax, Lew, & Swingman for the advice. I decided to go for the
router table and rabbetting bit this time and things worked out well.

Will use the dado blade next time to compare.

(Max,FYI: I used a Lee Valley rabbetting bit -
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46176&ap=1
)

Thanks again,
-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Chef Juke writes:

Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for
trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table saw
or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?

In my limited experience, the dado blades on a table saw will stay sharp
longer than a router bit used for the same operation. If true this may
be due to more cutting edges on the saw (24 teeth, 48? I forget how many
on my Jesada dado set) as compared to the router bit (probably 2).

For this reason, I'll typically use
the dado set for plywood. For solid wood, especially with the grain, I
may use the router. Neanderthals (they don't hang out here on the wreck
so much, anymore) would reach for a specialized plane in that situation.

--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeffrey Thunder" wrote

For this reason, I'll typically use
the dado set for plywood. For solid wood, especially with the grain, I
may use the router. Neanderthals (they don't hang out here on the wreck
so much, anymore) would reach for a specialized plane in that situation.

It's suddenly déjà vu all over again around here ... is that your "one post
a year" these days?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Centered on what, Lew?

The piece of stock receiving the rabbet, in this case the birch ply.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

You are back ???

We ain't see you in a while.

Where you been ?

Jeffrey Thunder wrote:
In article ,
Chef Juke writes:
Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for
trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table saw
or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?

In my limited experience, the dado blades on a table saw will stay sharp
longer than a router bit used for the same operation. If true this may
be due to more cutting edges on the saw (24 teeth, 48? I forget how many
on my Jesada dado set) as compared to the router bit (probably 2).

For this reason, I'll typically use
the dado set for plywood. For solid wood, especially with the grain, I
may use the router. Neanderthals (they don't hang out here on the wreck
so much, anymore) would reach for a specialized plane in that situation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
"Swingman" wrote:

Centered on what, Lew?

The piece of stock receiving the rabbet, in this case the birch ply.

LOL ... that would be worth seeing when plowing a "rabbet" ... what page of
Fred Bingham's book is that on?

g, d & r

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

LOL ... that would be worth seeing when plowing a "rabbet" ... what
page of Fred Bingham's book is that on?

DUH!

Much too late at night when 1st post made.

Yes dummy, there is a difference between a dado and a rabbet isn't
there, he says to self..

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" sez:

DUH!

ROTFL ... That's alright, buddy ... I won't tell!

who, for the umpteenth time, cut the right angle on the wrong end this AM,
again

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08