Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fein knock-off from Dremel

I ran into the Dremel rep at the Borg today and he was touting a new
Dremel Multi-Max. He was supposed to have one to demo, but they haven't
shipped yet. Looks a lot like the Fein, with a $99 price tag. Here's
the link in case anybody's interested:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...?pid=Multi-Max

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 10:11*pm, TD Driver wrote:
I ran into the Dremel rep at the Borg today and he was touting a new
Dremel Multi-Max. *He was supposed to have one to demo, but they haven't
shipped yet. *Looks a lot like the Fein, with a $99 price tag. *Here's
the link in case anybody's interested:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...?pid=Multi-Max

Larry

Let's hope that their blades fit the real Fein.... and that they're as
good as Fein's blades.
A little competition is always nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 10:11 pm, TD Driver wrote:
I ran into the Dremel rep at the Borg today and he was touting a
new
Dremel Multi-Max. He was supposed to have one to demo, but they
haven't shipped yet. Looks a lot like the Fein, with a $99 price
tag. Here's the link in case anybody's interested:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...?pid=Multi-Max

Larry

Let's hope that their blades fit the real Fein.... and that they're
as
good as Fein's blades.
A little competition is always nice.

They won't. The mount is quite different. There are a couple of
other competitors though.

If you want third-party blades, there's a sweat equity approach
http://home.comcast.net/~dldecker/fein.html
The fellow who came up with that approach is now selling his own
blades for a bit less than the Fein prices
http://www.multiblades.com/.

I'm not clear at all on which blades work with the Multimaster other
than that the Bosch don't.

There are several other Multimaster clones around now though.

Rockwell/Worx is selling the "Sonicrafter/Sonicraft" (the same tools
is sold under different names and brands). It will take Fein blades
with an adapter, whether the reverse is true I don't know. Blades for
it seem to be available only direct from the manufacturer, for about
half the price of Fein.

Bosch is selling the "Multi-X", again it will take Fein blades with an
adapter but I don't know if the reverse is true.

Harbor Freight has a knockoff 65700-0VGA for 50 bucks that looks like
a straight copy of the Fein. They sell a blade kit 65979-0VGA for 5
bucks that's one saw blade and two scrapers. Again I don't know for
sure if it fits the Fein.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:16:52 -0500, "J. Clarke"
bucks that's one saw blade and two scrapers. Again I don't know for
sure if it fits the Fein.

There seems to be wide spread concern about whether Fein blades will
fit the clones. Are the Fein blades so much better that almost
everybody prefers them over the clone blades?

I know Fein makes a really good product, but are their accessories so
much higher in quality that they're the only ones people will use?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 7:59*am, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:16:52 -0500, "J. Clarke"

bucks that's one saw blade and two scrapers. *Again I don't know for
sure if it fits the Fein.

There seems to be wide spread concern about whether Fein blades will
fit the clones. Are the Fein blades so much better that almost
everybody prefers them over the clone blades?

I know Fein makes a really good product, but are their accessories so
much higher in quality that they're the only ones people will use?

Price is an issue. The Fein blades are very good, but expensive. The
blades that I use most often come in 3-packs as well as singles and
that saves a fair bit of money.
So it is always sport to get the same quality of blades at a cheaper
price.
I sharpen the T-shaped metal/wood blades myself with adequate results.
I also noticed that the Fein has a stronger motor.

As a countertop fabricator/installer/remover, the Fein is an essential
tool. Period.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Let's hope that their blades fit the real Fein.... and that they're as
good as Fein's blades.
A little competition is always nice.

That's true.
Six months on the market for the Dremel and I 'll finally be able to
afford the fein.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"TD Driver" wrote in message
I ran into the Dremel rep at the Borg today and he was touting a new Dremel
Multi-Max. He was supposed to have one to demo, but they haven't shipped
yet. Looks a lot like the Fein, with a $99 price tag. Here's the link in
case anybody's interested:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...?pid=Multi-Max

Larry

Well actually there is also the Proxon, (spelling) version, the Bosch
version, and the Harbor Freight version. The Harbor Freight uses $5-$10
blades and the tool is about $40 IIRC.

Knock, knock Robatoy Woodworking 31 May 1st 07 01:14 PM
KNOCK-DOWN HUTCH J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 02:16 AM
KNOCK-DOWN SAWHORSE J T Woodworking 1 September 18th 05 11:45 AM
knock down knock down ginger dave @ stejonda UK diy 35 February 17th 05 02:21 PM
Can I knock this down? Stephen Gower UK diy 5 November 19th 04 12:11 PM