Ed Erbeck Jr.

Default Wood checkering Kits with instructions

Hello All

Looking to try my ahem talent at wood Checkering.
Anyone have experience with them and comments on the Instructions.

Thanks for any and all information.

Crazy Ed

RB

I'd suggest going to a good used book store and looking through their
older gun books. Some of the older ones will probably contain detailed
instructions.

I started on inexpensive 0.30 caliber rifles that I bought from the DCM.
I checkered my first stock in the mid-50s and have done numerous ones
since then but I can't even recall where the checkering tools came from
now. All you need to get started are a couple of checkering tools and a
rifler or two (a curved rifler helps and I think I've seen some in
catalogs from MSC.) Here are a few URLs I found quickly, there may be more.

http://nt.bnt.com/mhconline/shopfram...category%3D248
http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/Sketc...3.2-howto.html

For those who have forgotten, or never knew, DCM is Director of Civilian
Marksmanship...a Government organization from the era when the US
Government was trying to encourage it's citizens to own and use
weapons...my how times change.

Make a good jig or vise to hold the object and allow you to rotate it as
you work, lay out the area you want to checker carefully, keep your
tools sharp, and above all don't hurry.

It's not difficult and can be quite rewarding.

RB

Ed Erbeck Jr. wrote:
Hello All

Looking to try my ahem talent at wood Checkering.
Anyone have experience with them and comments on the Instructions.

Thanks for any and all information.

Crazy Ed

David Bush

It has a new name; Civilian Marksmanship Program.

For those interested -- http://www.odcmp.com/

Mostly M-1's and assorted bits. Shooters only need apply.

Dave