Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grinder stones

It's probably time to replace the grey grinding stones that came with
my power grinder. While I use traditional whet stones and diamond
stones as well as the Scary Sharp method, there are times when a power
grinder is needed. (Such as when hitting a hidden nail with a
chisel.)

What are the best stones for woodworking tools? White, pink, or
whatever?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 8:02*pm, wrote:

What are the best stones for woodworking tools? *White, pink, or
whatever?

Generally speaking, but not always, each stone color represents
different usages for the wheels.

Your needs will be best served by what you are going to grind. Nails,
most chisels, screwdrivers, lawanmower blades, etc. will all be easily
ground with gray alox wheels.

If you move to HSS, cobalts, or high molybdenum steels, then friables
are better. Friable wheels will grind carbon steels well, but they
don't hold up for really heavy use when doing so.

I have white friables on my slow speed grinder that I use for my lathe
tools (mostly HSS and some sintered or "powdered" metals) that have
lasted well. One side is 80 grit, the other is 120.
I can reshape my turning tools, and do any thing that a good gray
wheel can do with these wheels, but they need to be resurfaced
frequently as the surface breaks off to provide a clean cutting
surface. The friability feature also seems to make the cutting
surface of the wheels cooler.

Purple and pinks... now you are getting into some money. To my
knowledge they are all purpose made wheels, and they are made and
priced accordingly. I got a great 40 grit pink Norton wheel that cut
as smoothly as the 120 grit white. At $90 for the pink wheel (1" x
8" ), I was glad I got it as the last one on the closeout table.

If you are just generally goofing with your grinder, get a couple of
good gray wheels and call it a day.
If you are doing some sharpening, get at least a good set of whites.
Strangely, you can get a slow speed grinder with good wheels on it at
Woodcraft.

http://tinyurl.com/68wh6e

Every wood turner I know has this grinder. Once you start shopping
for wheels, you will note this grinder with the wheels is cheaper than
a set of wheels alone. I have two of them, and they both work great.
One has been on the job for about 10 years now, and still works great.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in news:9630bad0-
:

*snip*

If you are just generally goofing with your grinder, get a couple of
good gray wheels and call it a day.
If you are doing some sharpening, get at least a good set of whites.
Strangely, you can get a slow speed grinder with good wheels on it at
Woodcraft.

http://tinyurl.com/68wh6e

Your URL got mangled, at least using Firefox. The special characters (?
and =) got turned in to their HTML equivalents and not turned back.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

*snip*

Robert

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
" wrote in news:9630bad0-
:

*snip*

If you are just generally goofing with your grinder, get a couple of
good gray wheels and call it a day.
If you are doing some sharpening, get at least a good set of whites.
Strangely, you can get a slow speed grinder with good wheels on it at
Woodcraft.

http://tinyurl.com/68wh6e

Your URL got mangled, at least using Firefox. The special characters (?
and =) got turned in to their HTML equivalents and not turned back.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

Looks just like mine, save mine is a varb. speed. From HD with a Delta name
on it. The wrench free wheel change sucks, but other then that, it does
what I need.

I'll second the white wheel, good choice for HSS

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 2:36*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Your URL got mangled, at least using Firefox. *The special characters (?
and =) got turned in to their HTML equivalents and not turned back.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

*snip*

That's the one.

I got in the habit of using Tinyurl when those super long links would
wrap and then not work. And since it folds right into Firefox as an
add on, I have used it a lot over the last few years.

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long
addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me
either.

Thanks for the fix.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Nov 10, 2:36 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Your URL got mangled, at least using Firefox. The special characters (?
and =) got turned in to their HTML equivalents and not turned back.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

*snip*

That's the one.

I got in the habit of using Tinyurl when those super long links would
wrap and then not work. And since it folds right into Firefox as an
add on, I have used it a lot over the last few years.

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long
addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me
either.

Thanks for the fix.

*********************

How about the bracket approach?

long URL

It works for me. My wife likes to send long URL's to her friends all the
time. I showed her the brackets and she has been happy ever since. Her
URL's are going through and showing up with all the characters intact.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Nov 10, 2:36 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long
addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me
either.
-------

The trouble with tinyurl is you can't see where it points. It becomes a
matter of blind faith and trust that it doesn't lead you to someplace you
wouldn't otherwise go. Pasting the long link inside angle brackets, '' and
'', works for most newsreaders. Posting from Google groups might be
different, however.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in
:

wrote in message
..
Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long
addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me
either.
-------

The trouble with tinyurl is you can't see where it points. It becomes
a matter of blind faith and trust that it doesn't lead you to
someplace you wouldn't otherwise go. Pasting the long link inside
angle brackets, '' and '', works for most newsreaders. Posting from
Google groups might be different, however.

The solution is just to post the tiny URL link and the original. If the
original wraps, the tinyurl is there to let you click on something. If
the url might be suspicious or whatnot, the original's there to let the
reader determine if they want to go at all.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 9:02*pm, wrote:
It's probably time to replace the grey grinding stones that came with
my power grinder. *While I use traditional whet stones and diamond
stones as well as the Scary Sharp method, there are times when a power
grinder is needed. *(Such as when hitting a hidden nail with a
chisel.)

What are the best stones for woodworking tools? *White, pink, or
whatever?

Try a softer wheel such as those made for a surface grinder, say "I"
hardness and 60 grit.