Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Penetrating Mixwax Stain

I used a Minwax Red Oak stain on some oak and it didn't turn out red
enough. Attempts to stain over that with Red Mahagony stain, which is
deeper, hasn't deepened the color at all. I'm guess that it's due to the
sealer that Minwax incorporates into the stain. Short of sanding it down,
is there anyway to penetrate the sealer in the first coat? I suppose that
I could use a toner over it...

-- Geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
I used a Minwax Red Oak stain on some oak and it didn't turn out red
enough. Attempts to stain over that with Red Mahagony stain, which is
deeper, hasn't deepened the color at all. I'm guess that it's due to the
sealer that Minwax incorporates into the stain. Short of sanding it down,
is there anyway to penetrate the sealer in the first coat? I suppose that
I could use a toner over it...

-- Geoff

If you don't test on samples, you are experimenting on your project.

I suggest tossing the Miniwax and don't buy it a again.

If the stain indeed had a sealer it is not likely that you will get a darker
stain by reapplying. You may however find some success if you lightly scuff
sand the finish, give the new coat of stain something to stick to.

AGAIN, don't experiment on your project, try my and others suggestions on
scraps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
I used a Minwax Red Oak stain on some oak and it didn't turn out red
enough. Attempts to stain over that with Red Mahagony stain, which is
deeper, hasn't deepened the color at all. I'm guess that it's due to the
sealer that Minwax incorporates into the stain. Short of sanding it down,
is there anyway to penetrate the sealer in the first coat? I suppose that
I could use a toner over it...

-- Geoff

Hello,

As already suggested, toner is probably the way to go but you might
consider a glaze instead.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

[...]

I did test it on scraps and thought that it was deep enough. Upon later
evaluation (on a much larger piece), I determined that it wasn't dark-red
enough. I've tried sanding with a 220 grit and re-applying, but that
didn't do much.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually with "penetrating" oil stains, there is a pigment that has to
get into the fibers of he wood. So sanding at 220 after staining
probably just clogged up the pores more. Using your sample, you can
try to apply a dye stain over the pigment stain. Most of these are
water based and since this is likel minwax oil stain, you should use
an alcohol based mix. Transtint can mix with either or if you can find
a pre-mixed NGR (Non Grain Raising) it has used some solvent based mix
that is not water.

A second idea is to tint some shellac with trans tint. Do it about 2
shades lighter than you want when tested on white paper or wood. Then
build a few coats to getr the color you want. Pretty much any film
finish can then go over the shellac (poly lacquer, etc.)

Penetrating damp kev007 UK diy 33 June 27th 07 08:06 PM
Penetrating Damp [email protected] UK diy 3 March 3rd 07 10:25 PM
can penetrating oil be gelled? Nick Hull Metalworking 13 November 24th 04 07:07 PM
"Penetrating" Oil Ted Bennett Metalworking 9 May 26th 04 12:22 PM
need better-than-oil penetrating oil JohnM Metalworking 6 July 11th 03 07:12 AM