Ted Bennett

Default "Penetrating" Oil

What is this stuff? What makes it more penetrating than any other low
viscosity oil? Maybe some solvent/surfactant added to aid the oil's
ingress?

I'm thinking about threaded fasteners that get power-washed. Like spoke
nipples in a motorcycle wheel.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Lennie the Lurker

Ted Bennett wrote in message ...
What is this stuff? What makes it more penetrating than any other low
viscosity oil? Maybe some solvent/surfactant added to aid the oil's
ingress?

I'm thinking about threaded fasteners that get power-washed. Like spoke
nipples in a motorcycle wheel.

It's what resembles to me anyhow, a thin grade of kerosene. Kerosene
works almost as well, is cheaper.
Clark Magnuson

When I was a kid in the 60's, my father put Liquid Wrench in rusted
stuck nuts and bolts and wait overnight.
It never seemed to help me.
A couple months ago I unscrewed the barrels off a couple dozen rifles
that fought in WWII.
I would put the barrel in the barrel vice, the action in the action
wrench, and hit the action wrench with a 20 pound hammer.
When it would not move with 5 or 10 hits, I would put 5 drops of Kroil
in the crack and wait 10 seconds.
The barrels always came loose with the next hit.

All the guys I demonstrated this to went out and bought some Kroil.
https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/kano3p1.gif

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Bob Edwards

I don't know what's in it, but I've had the same experience with PB
Blaster on frozen marine parts. It was the only thing short of
dynamite that would take a shaft coupling half off the prop shaft in
one of my boats, that hadn't been disturbed in 20 years. Another guy
at the yard turned me on to it, when he heard me cussing in the bilge.
A good overnight soaking and the coupling half was off with a couple
swats of the hammer.

Regards,

Bob

Clark Magnuson wrote in message ...
When I was a kid in the 60's, my father put Liquid Wrench in rusted
stuck nuts and bolts and wait overnight.
It never seemed to help me.
A couple months ago I unscrewed the barrels off a couple dozen rifles
that fought in WWII.
I would put the barrel in the barrel vice, the action in the action
wrench, and hit the action wrench with a 20 pound hammer.
When it would not move with 5 or 10 hits, I would put 5 drops of Kroil
in the crack and wait 10 seconds.
The barrels always came loose with the next hit.

All the guys I demonstrated this to went out and bought some Kroil.
https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/kano3p1.gif

Richard J Kinch

Ted Bennett writes:

What is this stuff? What makes it more penetrating than any other low
viscosity oil? Maybe some solvent/surfactant added to aid the oil's
ingress?

Nothing but a light petroleum distillate. In short, boob bait for bubbas,
like most of what's on that aisle with the pretty bottles of stuff to pour
into your engine/transmission/stuck-bolts/radiator/etc to fix expensive
problems as if by magic. Check the MSDS if you don't believe. I confess
to still having a can on the shelf from my ignorant youth.

Kind of like selling ordinary glue with "weld" in the product name. You
suggest what would be illegal to claim, and the casual or the simple will
buy.

Mustmaker

What is that physics theory that a belief in something can affect the real
world? Therefore if I believe in Kroil, (I do, I do, I do believe,) it's use
does result in the loosening of previously impossible to remove fasteners.

John H.
Kevin Carney

Nothing like the smell of "Kroil" in the morning !! The best stuff on earth
for almost anything that moves, slides, rusts, etc. A "must" for every
tinkerer. I bought some of their products 15-20 years ago and they send me
mail every 2-3 months. A great small company. I also use their Memogenda
(low cost, high value version of a Franklin Planner). I have an amazing
story on Kroil too. Bolts were froze on my exhaust system, sprayed Kroil,
waited 10 minutes and they came right out. Great company with excellent
products......

--
change .combo to .com for correct email

"We ought always to know precisely why a given job
is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
When I was a kid in the 60's, my father put Liquid Wrench in rusted
stuck nuts and bolts and wait overnight.
It never seemed to help me.
A couple months ago I unscrewed the barrels off a couple dozen rifles
that fought in WWII.
I would put the barrel in the barrel vice, the action in the action
wrench, and hit the action wrench with a 20 pound hammer.
When it would not move with 5 or 10 hits, I would put 5 drops of Kroil
in the crack and wait 10 seconds.
The barrels always came loose with the next hit.

All the guys I demonstrated this to went out and bought some Kroil.
https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com/kano3p1.gif

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of

atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Garrett Fulton

"Kevin Carney" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, it's good stuff and works as advertised. The airline I work for sure
believes in it and there's one gallon cans of it all around the flight line
and hangar.

Garrett

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Kevin Carney" wrote:

Nothing like the smell of "Kroil" in the morning !! The best stuff on earth
for almost anything that moves, slides, rusts, etc. A "must" for every
tinkerer. I bought some of their products 15-20 years ago and they send me
mail every 2-3 months. A great small company. I also use their Memogenda
(low cost, high value version of a Franklin Planner). I have an amazing
story on Kroil too. Bolts were froze on my exhaust system, sprayed Kroil,
waited 10 minutes and they came right out. Great company with excellent
products......

I dunno. I had some hydraulic hose connections which had probably been
together for 35 years - Kroil - nothing. Heat, more Kroil, nothing.
Repeat. I eventually found connections at either end beyond where I
needed to open it up that would move, got the entire assembly out, was
able to put 3-foot cheaters on the wrenches, and then they came free
just fine. No room under the tractor for 3 foot cheaters.

I also have tried it on a power steering cylinder anchor pin, with no
results. Shortly I'll try it again (having given it several months to
soak in), and I expect I'll end up burning the pin out (that's what the
dealer recommends).

IIRC, somone here claimed that you could make your own, cheaper, by
mixing ATF and a solvent. Not quite the same mix as Ed's Red (another
fine ATF-based recipe).

Kevin Carney

I know a sewing machine guy that has a "homemade brew". He uses ATF and
alcohol. I don't know the ratio or type of alcohol (isopropol,
ethyl,denatured,etc.).

--
change .combo to .com for correct email

"We ought always to know precisely why a given job
is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson