OldScrawn

Default Penetrating damp, silicone or paint?

Just moved horsies to a new stable. It's single skin 4 inch blockwork, not
rendered, and in the driving rain a lot of damp is coming through on the
courses and some of the blocks. Relative merits of silicone and masonry paint?
I have a compressor so could spray given that it's about 80 square metres.
Grunff

OldScrawn wrote:

Just moved horsies to a new stable. It's single skin 4 inch blockwork, not
rendered, and in the driving rain a lot of damp is coming through on the
courses and some of the blocks. Relative merits of silicone and masonry paint?
I have a compressor so could spray given that it's about 80 square metres.

We've used textured masonry paint for this exact same application (well,
the hay shed - the stables will get done later in the year), and it does
a pretty good job.

--
Grunff
OldScrawn

textured masonry paint

Thanks, that was my first thought too; but someone on uk.rec.equestrian
recommends Thompsons Water Seal, which I have never used before. Decisions
decisions.....
OldScrawn

It's *definitely* penetrating damp from driven rain on the outside (fairly
exposed spot). I was only planning to treat the outside, when it's dry, so
drying out should not be an issue.