Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding glass?

I have a few pieces of 3/32" glass that are just slightly larger than
what I need.

If I could get about 1/32" off of one side that would be fine.

I tried the belt sander with some medium grit...it will smooth the
surfqace somewhat but I don't get any material removal.

(I know -- it's hard sh**)

Anyway....any tips?

Either a special paper for the belt sander or something I can put on
the drill press?

If it's something that will take forever, I'll just junk these pieces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 1:12*pm, mkr5000 wrote:

I have a few pieces of 3/32" glass that are just slightly larger than
what I need.

If I could get about 1/32" off of one side that would be fine.

I tried the belt sander with some medium grit...it will smooth the
surfqace somewhat but I don't get any material removal.

I have seen my glass guy use a belt sander with a blue zirconium belt
on it to cut down thin glass for out of square windows.

As always, YMMV.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I have a few pieces of 3/32" glass that are just slightly larger than
what I need.

If I could get about 1/32" off of one side that would be fine.

I tried the belt sander with some medium grit...it will smooth the
surfqace somewhat but I don't get any material removal.

(I know -- it's hard sh**)

Anyway....any tips?

Either a special paper for the belt sander or something I can put on
the drill press?

If it's something that will take forever, I'll just junk these pieces.

diamond grinder or wet belt sander. take it to a stained glass shop or
someone who does stained glass. they'll probably do the job for a few
dollars and take only a few minutes.

if you're going to do this yourself, you need carbide belts to grind glass
easily. failure modes include shattering the glass due to heat buildup.
protect yourself (eyes, facemask, apron, long sleeves/pants, etc). don't
breath the dust. do you know for sure that the glass is non-tempered? if
not, prepare for an explosion. you can't trim tempered glass.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/Gal6606_Chani_Artss_Gallery.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gotcha.

Thanks guys...I'll try that blue belt first.

Mcmaster carr may have it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If I can't find it at Mcarr....any online places I can get these belts
you know of?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
If I can't find it at Mcarr....any online places I can get these belts
you know of?

i use http://customsandingbelts.com/cgi-bin/abrasive.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:51:37 -0600, mkr5000 wrote
(in article
):

If I can't find it at Mcarr....any online places I can get these belts
you know of?

I've seen them at Sears.
-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 7:11*pm, Bruce wrote:

I've seen them at Sears.

Me, too. In fact I bought my last ones there. I use them for
sharpening.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Cut a fair amount of glass in my youth.

Based on that experience, my suggestion is to find a commercial shop
with a water jet to trim panes to size.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:51:37 -0700, mkr5000 wrote:

If I can't find it at Mcarr....any online places I can get these belts
you know of?

I found an abrasive web site with belts for glass:
http://abrasivesoasis.com/products.asp?cat=15

As I was looking for a link, I found a lot of reference to the need to
lubricate with water, lots of water.

(by the way, I know nothing about the above link, never done any business
with them.)