Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 253

Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in :

Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1430 looks like a beehive: the two notches at the bottom are the "in" and
"out" doors for the bees, and the two stick crossd inside it are to help
support the weight of the comb.

1434: a bullseye lantern?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 4:15*am, "Rob H." wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1432- the wine-cellar master.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1428 - for measuring the length of rope a person is buying
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1432- the wine-cellar master.

Not likely, unless wine is poured into buckets. There is a prominent bucket
hook above the spout.

wrote in message
On Oct 9, 4:15 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1432- the wine-cellar master.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 3:15*am, "Rob H." wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1428 is a planimeter for measuring distances or areas on a map.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Let's see...

1428 - Measurer for some purpose. The removable wheel hints that maybe
different sized wheels were available for different measurement units.
Given the diameter of the wheel shown, I suspect it might count in feet.
Presumably this would be used for some continuous feed application,
maybe measuring the throughput of a web press or similar.

1429 - It's a white cat in a snowstorm!

1430 - It, ummm, probably served its intended purpose right well...what
with the lid keeping the insides in and the outside out, and the notches
doing...something.

1431 - This pretty plainly clamps around something (perhaps loosely),
and then has a hasp to either lock it with a padlock or attach a clip or
rope to. I can't really think where you'd need a quick-acting lockable
clamp to go around a pole, though. It could perhaps be used to tether
an animal (with a snap hook on the tether line), but I'd imagine that
simply tying the tether off to the pole or whatever would be just as
quick and require less complicated gadgetry.

1432 - Who would use a locking spigot for a barrel? Maybe the captain
of a sailing ship who wishes to preserve his rum supply (or, I guess,
any other purveyor of spirituous beverages to unrefined persons).

1433 - Appears to be a wobble plate mechanism, but the application isn't
clear. Possibly it's to cause vibration of a machine (say, for a feed
hopper or paper jogger).

1434 - Signal lantern, possibly of military application, but I'd guess
instead railroad or nautical use.

Not very good guesses from me this time, I'm afraid.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-09, Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1428) Device to measure linear speed -- on a conveyer belt,
bandsaw blade, sanding belt, or something similar.

The dials are first set to zero. The lower one possibly by
pressing one of the two levers on the bottom to disengage the
worm drive from the lower dial, and the upper one by pressing
the other lever to withdraw the pinion in the center of the
lower dial from meshing with the upper dial.

Maybe a single lever will move the lower disk, disengaging it
from both the worm and the upper disc making zeroing easier.

Then the rubber rim of the wheel is placed in contact with the
moving surface, and held there for a precise time duration,
after which the number of feet per minute (or perhaps meters per
minute, depending on where and when it was made) can be read off
the dials. Given that the place of manufacture shows as
Manchester (England?) and the age based on appearance, it would
have been feet per minute.

Since it appears to have three scales on each dial, I suspect
that it could be used for three different periods depending on
the speed range. Nope -- make that two different periods, with
the two inner scales reading in different directions, depending
on the direction of motion of the belt.

I would like to see other views of it to see how the reset
operation goes.

1429) Hmm ... where did 1429 go?

1430) Hmm ... some other kind of trap for "trap shooting"?

Not sure of the function of the notches at the bottom.

1431) Looks like it would fit around the pipes of a chain-link
fence -- but that is unlikely to be found on a ranch.

Perhaps to go around the legs of a calf to hold it for branding?

1432) This would be used by a bartender or pub operator to tap a keg
of beer. Looks like from the period where you could buy a
bucket of beer, so the tab on the front of the spout could hold
the bail of the bucket.

1433) Kind of small -- but it looks like something which could be
used for closing collets with a drawbar -- perhaps in a
specialized jeweler's lathe.

1434) Perhaps a long-burning kerosene lantern -- with the kerosene
reservoir on the back part?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Let's see...

1429 - It's a white cat in a snowstorm!

Oops, looks like I misnumbered the first one in this set, it's fixed now.

1433 - Appears to be a wobble plate mechanism, but the application isn't
clear. Possibly it's to cause vibration of a machine (say, for a feed
hopper or paper jogger).

You're on the right track, it is a part from a power tool.

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1429: Looks like a fifth-wheel device for measuring distance
travelled. Can't imagine what such a small one is for.

1431: Looks like a gate latch of some sort, with a spot for a padlock.

1432: A tap used on an inspection port for some chemical tank,
keyed so only the inspector can use it?

1433: One possible design of a tail slider on a model helicopter but I
doubt that's actually what it is.

1434: Bee carrier?
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-09, Andrew Erickson wrote:
In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

[ ... ]

1429 - It's a white cat in a snowstorm!

:-)

1430 - It, ummm, probably served its intended purpose right well...what
with the lid keeping the insides in and the outside out, and the notches
doing...something.

:-)

1431 - This pretty plainly clamps around something (perhaps loosely),
and then has a hasp to either lock it with a padlock or attach a clip or
rope to. I can't really think where you'd need a quick-acting lockable
clamp to go around a pole, though. It could perhaps be used to tether
an animal (with a snap hook on the tether line), but I'd imagine that
simply tying the tether off to the pole or whatever would be just as
quick and require less complicated gadgetry.

Hmm ... you know -- dogs have an amazing ability to wrap a
particularly long leash around the center pole so they have only six
inches of slack left. This would prevent that, at least.

I was thinking that it might go around the leg of a calf (too small for
grown cattle) but your idea may make more sense.

1432 - Who would use a locking spigot for a barrel?

The owner of the contents of said barrel in the presence of a
bunch of people who would like to partake of the contents of said barrel
without paying for it. :-)

Maybe the captain
of a sailing ship who wishes to preserve his rum supply (or, I guess,
any other purveyor of spirituous beverages to unrefined persons).

The captain -- or the first mate or the Bosun perhaps, as being
closer to the actual task of dispensing said beverage.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Back to my usual schedule this week, a new set has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1431 -- I wonder if it served as a makeshift attachment point to clip a
cable or chain to something an inch in diameter. The fact that it's a
sleeve suggests that it went on something not as strong as a steel rod:
maybe a pipe or a wooden spoke.

Could it have been to move equipment to supply water to livestock on the
range? To tether an animal to a spoke? To use a wagon to provide
tension for fence work? To recover a stuck wagon? (If the cowboy clips
a chain to a spoke at the top of the rim and uses a crowbar to pull the
chain, he has a lot of mechanical advantage to roll the wheel out of a
hole.)

A manila rope could be used for these things, but a rancher would get
longer service from a cable or chain.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1428) Device to measure linear speed -- on a conveyer belt,
bandsaw blade, sanding belt, or something similar.

..... I would like to see other views of it to see how the reset
operation goes.

The only other shot that I have is one that shows the back, though I don't
think that will help very much, the text on it is somewhat hard to read, it
says "German Manufacture" and "Patented":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9/DSC00012.jpg

The answers for this set can be seen at the link below, along with an update
on a device that had remained unidentified for several years, it was number
76 on my site, posted back in August of 2004:

http://answers253-t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-10, Rob H. wrote:

1428) Device to measure linear speed -- on a conveyer belt,
bandsaw blade, sanding belt, or something similar.

..... I would like to see other views of it to see how the reset
operation goes.

The only other shot that I have is one that shows the back, though I don't
think that will help very much, the text on it is somewhat hard to read, it
says "German Manufacture" and "Patented":

But it *does* show me what I needed to see. One of those two
rivets (I think the one on the left) is in a slot on the underlying
part, and pulling the levers at the bottom to the right pivots around
the other rivet, pulling the lower wheel both out of mesh with the worm,
and its pinion out of mesh with the upper wheel, thus allowing them both
to be rotated by the other hand to set to zero.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9/DSC00012.jpg

The answers for this set can be seen at the link below, along with an update
on a device that had remained unidentified for several years, it was number
76 on my site, posted back in August of 2004:

O.K. I don't remember that one item -- must be before I started
following these.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-10, Rob H. wrote:

[...]

I would have liked to have this device, but the seller wanted $375 for it, a
lot more than I usually pay for the ones that I buy.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-10, Rob H. wrote:

[ ... ]

The only other shot that I have is one that shows the back, though I
don't
think that will help very much, the text on it is somewhat hard to read,
it
says "German Manufacture" and "Patented":

But it *does* show me what I needed to see. One of those two
rivets (I think the one on the left) is in a slot on the underlying
part, and pulling the levers at the bottom to the right pivots around
the other rivet, pulling the lower wheel both out of mesh with the worm,
and its pinion out of mesh with the upper wheel, thus allowing them both
to be rotated by the other hand to set to zero.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9/DSC00012.jpg

I would have liked to have this device, but the seller wanted $375 for it, a
lot more than I usually pay for the ones that I buy.

FWIW -- I have a couple of other devices which are similar
except that they give direct readings in SFM (Surface Feet per Minute).
Without the wheel, they have other slip-on devices for measuring RPM
instead. One has a diameter of 3.1897", which gives a circumference of
12", and the other's wheel has a diameter of 1.9099", giving a
circumference of 6", and requires the reading from the scale to be
divided by two.

If I had that one from your puzzle photos, I would be tempted to
re-tire the wheel.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564