Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 253

On 2008-10-09, Andrew Erickson wrote:
In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

[ ... ]

1429 - It's a white cat in a snowstorm!

:-)

1430 - It, ummm, probably served its intended purpose right well...what
with the lid keeping the insides in and the outside out, and the notches
doing...something.

:-)

1431 - This pretty plainly clamps around something (perhaps loosely),
and then has a hasp to either lock it with a padlock or attach a clip or
rope to. I can't really think where you'd need a quick-acting lockable
clamp to go around a pole, though. It could perhaps be used to tether
an animal (with a snap hook on the tether line), but I'd imagine that
simply tying the tether off to the pole or whatever would be just as
quick and require less complicated gadgetry.

Hmm ... you know -- dogs have an amazing ability to wrap a
particularly long leash around the center pole so they have only six
inches of slack left. This would prevent that, at least.

I was thinking that it might go around the leg of a calf (too small for
grown cattle) but your idea may make more sense.

1432 - Who would use a locking spigot for a barrel?

The owner of the contents of said barrel in the presence of a
bunch of people who would like to partake of the contents of said barrel
without paying for it. :-)

Maybe the captain
of a sailing ship who wishes to preserve his rum supply (or, I guess,
any other purveyor of spirituous beverages to unrefined persons).

The captain -- or the first mate or the Bosun perhaps, as being
closer to the actual task of dispensing said beverage.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564