Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 37-190 jointer question

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that the
knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut off the
set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd like to find
out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if so, what your
experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick,

The knives are very easy to remove. Anyone cutting off the set screws
to remove the knives may not be very mechanically minded. The
critical part of changing/sharpening the knives is reinstalling them.
One of the many magnetic tools available makes part of the task very
easy.

I don't know the condition of your knives. If they are just nicked in
one spot rather than being real dull this can be cured by simply
adjusting one knife slightly to the right and another knife slightly
to the left. Leave the third one in the middle position. This
adjustment will eliminate the alignment of the nicks and will again
produce a smooth cut.

G.S.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:01:48 GMT, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that the
knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut off the
set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd like to find
out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if so, what your
experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that
the knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut
off the set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd
like to find out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if
so, what your experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

I used to have one; the knives were very easy to remove. Never had to
even think about cutting off the set screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that
the
knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut off
the
set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd like to
find
out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if so, what your
experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Yes, I have some nicks. I will try your suggestion. Not having owned a
jointer before I didn't know about the magnetic tools. A quick look found
this:

http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html

Do you have a favorite?

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

Yes, I have some nicks. I will try your suggestion. Not having owned a
jointer before I didn't know about the magnetic tools. A quick look found
this:

http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html

Do you have a favorite?

I use a very old, large horseshoe magnet inherited from my dad. Works
perfect. I once looked on line to see if I could find a similar magnet
but no luck. But I was just curious, not on a real search mission.

It works the same as the one listed above, but more nostalgic.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is the one I have. It works great.

G.S.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:51:19 GMT, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

Yes, I have some nicks. I will try your suggestion. Not having owned a
jointer before I didn't know about the magnetic tools. A quick look found
this:

http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html

Do you have a favorite?

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Uh...have you considered reading the manual and
following the instructions ?

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Sear....aspx?q=37-190

You will also find that a new set of blades is
quite easy to install "if" you follow the instructions
and don't screw the setting up while removing the blades.

If you don't have the correct tools, do not start the job
until you have them.

Don't get your woodworking information from a book seller
web site.

Dick Snyder wrote:
I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that the
knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut off the
set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd like to find
out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if so, what your
experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

The set screws were a problem years ago when I bought my jointer - I
would hope they fixed that problem in the last 10 years... I needed
to cut two of the set screws, one was so badly cross threaded that you
could see it was out of true by at least 10 degrees. I called delta
and they sent a replacement piece. Other than that problem on day
one, the only other thing I have had to do was clean the on/off switch
after it built up some carbon on the contacts.

Cheers,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Of course I read the manual before doing this posting. The manul makes no
mention of a problem with the set screws. What spooked me was this comment
from a user on Amazon:

"In order to adjust the blades though, you may need to cut off the set
screws and replace them. This is recommended solution from customer service
as this problem is quite common. Apparently they torque the set screws too
tight, and I broke 3 wrenches and 1 drill bit trying to loosen those."

Maybe the guy was just full of it but I thought I would find out the
experience of others in this newsgroup who own this jointer before I got
started removing the blades which are in need of sharpening.

Dick Snyder wrote:
I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that
the knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut
off the set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd
like to find out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if
so, what your experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

After replying to your posting I read further and got the information I was
looking for. The posting is from . He had this exact
problem but hoped it was gone away now. It may be gone in the new jointers
but I bought a used one. I will call Delta if after removing the blades and
inspecting the set screws closely I see the same problem.

Dick Snyder wrote:
I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that
the knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut
off the set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd
like to find out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if
so, what your experience has been in removing the knives.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. I bought a used one (the guy bought his in 1997 according the manual
he gave me) so it sounds like I need to give the set screws a very careful
look after I remove the blades. Thanks for the heads up.

wrote in message
The set screws were a problem years ago when I bought my jointer - I
would hope they fixed that problem in the last 10 years... I needed
to cut two of the set screws, one was so badly cross threaded that you
could see it was out of true by at least 10 degrees. I called delta
and they sent a replacement piece. Other than that problem on day
one, the only other thing I have had to do was clean the on/off switch
after it built up some carbon on the contacts.

Cheers,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:01:48 +0000, Dick Snyder wrote:

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives
sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that
the knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut
off the set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd
like to find out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if
so, what your experience has been in removing the knives.

I bought a well-used 37-190 (base and jointer are the old blue-green
color) last year and have had no problems at all with the blade set
screws. They guy before me replaced the on-off switch, but it is flat,
easy to adjust, and otherwise everything I need except for 2" wider.