Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Jointer 37-220

I know there are folks out there who have one of these
machines.

I just got one (a minor gloat - for free). It's a bit rusted
but nothing that bad that hasn't cleaned up with some
Boshield, but the head is a bit more rusty than
what I can do without taking it off the machine.

I downloaded the manual and instruction guide
from the OldWoodworking Machine site and it
was helpful to understand the mechanics. However,
I be interested to know people's experience in
taking the cutting off and reseating it. It is an easy
or difficult job? What should I watch for?

Also, the out table has a hole in it and since
the fence sort of swings from a pivot point on the
in table, I thought there might be a hold down or
bolt that held the table steady. The manual and
parts diagram doesn't show that. Perhaps
there's some maintenance to be done on the
fence to prevent it from swinging? Or is
that just how it runs?

Thanks in advance.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
ups.com:

snip
Also, the out table has a hole in it and since
the fence sort of swings from a pivot point on the
in table, I thought there might be a hold down or
bolt that held the table steady. The manual and
parts diagram doesn't show that. Perhaps
there's some maintenance to be done on the
fence to prevent it from swinging? Or is
that just how it runs?

First, good job! Nice machine to use, and a really good price.

Secondly, the fellow from who I bought my jointer indicated something about
a hole to mount a power stock feeder. Might this hole be something along
those lines?

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Patriarch wrote:
" wrote in
ups.com:

snip
Also, the out table has a hole in it and since
the fence sort of swings from a pivot point on the
in table, I thought there might be a hold down or
bolt that held the table steady. The manual and
parts diagram doesn't show that. Perhaps
there's some maintenance to be done on the
fence to prevent it from swinging? Or is
that just how it runs?

First, good job! Nice machine to use, and a really good price.

Secondly, the fellow from who I bought my jointer indicated something about
a hole to mount a power stock feeder. Might this hole be something along
those lines?

Don't know this one by model number and no pitchurs to go on but many
had a set of tapped holes on the outfeed table for a sharpening
attachment rather than feeders (as they would be in the way of the stock
if the base of the feeder were mounted there)...

As for the original question the fence, I don't have a clue from the
description. "Swinging" from where and which direction, first? The
fence on any Delta jointer I've seen is center-mounted except for the
little 4" guy which was on a round bar at the front end of the infeed
table...

Posted to rec.woodworking

First off, thanks to dpb and Patriarch for the

After re-reading the manual, the second hole on
the outfeed table is for another guard. The
manual states that it will provide additional
safety because the cutters behind the fence
will be covered. I guess that happens if you
narrow the fence, I always just leave the fence
to rear.

The swinging fence is from the infeed table side
and it pivots from the adjustment mechanism.
The manual indicates that you clamp the table down,
but I can't see yet that there is something on
the machine that does that or you just use
a clamp. I'm away from the machine for
the next 24 hrs so I'll take another look
tomorrow.

To let you both know. I tested both the tables
and the fence and they were FLAT! I could only
get a .001 feeler gauge in one or two spots.
I just need to get the blades sharpened and the
head cleaned up and it's good to go!

Here's the link to manual and exploded parts
diagram:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDeta...1141&PubID=490

Thanks again!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

The swinging fence is from the infeed table side
and it pivots from the adjustment mechanism.
The manual indicates that you clamp the table down,
but I can't see yet that there is something on
the machine that does that or you just use
a clamp. I'm away from the machine for
the next 24 hrs so I'll take another look
tomorrow.

Here's the link to manual and exploded parts
diagram:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDeta...1141&PubID=490

OK, that's the rear fence guy. I still don't exactly follow you about
"clamping the table down" -- what do you mean more specifically?

And I don't follow "swinging" as a description of a normal movement on a
jointer fence, either, but I'll presume you're talking about the angle
of the fence wrt the table surface. I would call that a rotation. If
you're asking about how to lock the fence in position, as the manual
describes, it is a two-function handle. The rear acorn nut locks the
angle of fence to the table while the handle in the most forward
position tightens the slide against the bracket to lock the fence in
position. When adjusted correctly and tight, the fence will be rigid.
If that isn't the case, something isn't adjusted correctly or perhaps
you don't have all the original pieces of the fence mount or something's
broken or...

If I'm not on base w/ your question, try again...

Posted to rec.woodworking

And I don't follow "swinging" as a description of a normal movement on
jointer fence, either, but I'll presume you're talking about the angle
of the fence wrt the table surface. I would call that a rotation. If
you're asking about how to lock the fence in position, as the manual
describes, it is a two-function handle. The rear acorn nut locks the
angle of fence to the table while the handle in the most forward
position tightens the slide against the bracket to lock the fence in
position. When adjusted correctly and tight, the fence will be rigid.
If that isn't the case, something isn't adjusted correctly or perhaps
you don't have all the original pieces of the fence mount or something's
broken or...

I'll check tomorrow when I'm home. It maybe that the
locking mechanism is worn or that piece might be missing, tho
other than the spring for the guard, the machine appears
to be intact.

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know in a couple of days if
I still have a question.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

More likely the adjustment isn't correct so it doesn't clamp tight. W/
my slow dialup I didn't wait for all the pdf doc to load so didn't see
the blownup diagram so not positive the exact details of the locking
mechanism on that fence. The old Craftsman I had had a jamb nut that
had to be at the proper distance for the handle to catch it and lock
tightly. I presume this is similar. It may be the mounting bolt needs
to be brought in closer or similar. Whatever it is, the secret is in
that adjustment -- there's nothing else required to lock the fence
rigidly for use...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dpb,

More likely the adjustment isn't correct so it doesn't clamp tight. W/
my slow dialup I didn't wait for all the pdf doc to load so didn't see
the blownup diagram so not positive the exact details of the locking
mechanism on that fence. The old Craftsman I had had a jamb nut that
had to be at the proper distance for the handle to catch it and lock
tightly. I presume this is similar. It may be the mounting bolt needs
to be brought in closer or similar. Whatever it is, the secret is in
that adjustment -- there's nothing else required to lock the fence
rigidly for use...

Fixed it. The angle adjustment on the jointer was loose. As soon as I
tightened it, the
fence became more rigid and didn't swing. Next is to remove the cutter
head
and perhaps replace the bearings and most assuredly replace the knives
or at
least sharpen them up.

Thanks,

MJ Wallace