Christopher Mooney

Default Scrapbooking Center?

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney
John Carlson

I guess I haven't been paying attention. When did "scrapbook" become
a verb?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:40:18 -0600, Christopher Mooney
wrote:

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Christopher Mooney

Oh Puleeazzzzze! Get over yourself!

Just when I thought this wasn't a group where people were so ANAL
about grammar. If you don't know what I am talking about, read past to
the next post!

Gee Whiz! PLONK!!!

wrote:

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

John Carlson

Geez, sensitive, aren't we?

(Never did answer my question. I hate when people verb their nouns,)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:05:15 -0600, Christopher Mooney
wrote:

Oh Puleeazzzzze! Get over yourself!

Just when I thought this wasn't a group where people were so ANAL
about grammar. If you don't know what I am talking about, read past to
the next post!

Gee Whiz! PLONK!!!

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

John Carlson

Why yes, exactly like that.

(I assume you realize the irony was intentional; I thought it was
obvious enough not to need a smiley.)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:07:23 -0600, "todd"
wrote:

You mean like when someone takes a noun (such as "verb" for example) and
uses it as a verb? I hate that, too.

todd

-- jc
Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection.
To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net
mel

Actually "scrapbooking" is being used as a noun. In the phrase used by the
OP, "the art of scrapbooking," scrapbooking is the subject of the
prepositional phrase........dufus. g You brought it on yourself.

todd

Well, Mr. Language Person, a better question would be "when did Chris use
the word 'scrapbook' as a verb?". The only point where the text "scrapbook"
appears in his text is in the word "scrapbooking". "Scrapbooking" is a
gerund, not a verb. You can tell that it's a gerund and not a present
participle because it is the object of a preposition (and thus functions as
a noun).

Thanks for playing.

As for Chris, my wife scraps ;-) and I recently made the mistake of making
wood holders (if that is the correct word - I'm sure Mr. Language Person
will correct me if not) for some stamps she bought. The stamps only came
with the part that actually contacts the ink. They came with one plastic
holder per set that you were supposed to put each of the stamps in as
needed. Obviously, that would really blow, so I bought some 1x2 maple and
used shaper cutters in my table saw to cut finger holds in the side of the
wood pieces, cut them to length, and then she used contact cement to attach
the stamps to the wood. Well, now, of course, she needs a place to store
all of these stamps. Right now, I think I'm going to build a small cabinet
with drawers just tall enough to hold the stamps. The design could also be
expanded to include storing of the 12x12 paper that is so popular with
scrappers.

I'm not sure which sickness is worse, the collection of Xyron machines,
stamps of every style and case, seeminly endless supplies of paper and
stickers, and punches, or the collection of table saws, routers, band saws,
wood, and the most insidious of them all, clamps. It does, however, give
good cover for me. I think we have an unspoken understanding that I don't
complain when she comes home with a Sizzix, and the doesn't when I come home
with a drill press.

wrote:

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

BRuce

LOL, yep same détente is in place here. What i did for my wife last
year was to build her a "craft" room above the shop. 13x20, all
drywall, ceiling fan, AC and gas heat, tons of light and and a bunch of
built in drawers in the knee wall.

We have talked about other storage solutions but for the most part there
is stuff out there that works very well, is fairly inexpensive and much
lighter than I could make.

BRuce

--
---

BRuce
John Carlson

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:03:38 -0600, "todd"
wrote:

Well, Mr. Language Person, a better question would be "when did Chris use
the word 'scrapbook' as a verb?". The only point where the text "scrapbook"
appears in his text is in the word "scrapbooking". "Scrapbooking" is a
gerund, not a verb. You can tell that it's a gerund and not a present
participle because it is the object of a preposition (and thus functions as
a noun).

Quite correct. But gerunds derive from verbs, so implicitly,
"scrapbook" was taken to be a verb in order form a gerund from it.

(I think that the definition of a gerund is "the present participle of
a verb used as a noun." But it's been a long time since grammar
school and that might not be quite right.)

So technically, Chris did not use the word scrapbook as a verb. But
then, if you'll re-read my post you'll find that I didn't say he had.
I only said (and only by implication) that scrapbook had become a verb

Thanks for playing.

You're quite welcome, and thank you for the challenge. :-)

-- jc
Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection.
To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net

todd

wrote:

[...]

Your definition of a gerund is incorrect. Going back to your original,
off-topic post, are you aware that words, sometimes more than one, are added
to the dictionary every year? Do you think English professors have a
convention where they invent new words? Words get created because people
decide that the existing lexicon is not sufficient to handle something they
want to express. Thus, particularly in the scrapbooking community,
"scrapbook" has become a verb. I suppose we could consider it a special
word created by a defined group, making it jargon. But jargon has the habit
of becoming part of regular speech. I wonder if I searched through your
posting history, assuming it goes back far enough, if I would find that you
used the word "e-mail" as a verb, prior to it being "officially" added to
the dictionary. Besides, Chris isn't writing his doctoral thesis here.
He's asking a question in an informal setting. So, how about stepping down
as grammar Nazi?

Another question would be, do you have an on-topic response in this thread?

todd

John Carlson

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:25:19 -0600, "todd"
wrote:

[...]

Well, so far it looks like you've contributed at least as much
off-topic verbiage to the discussion as I have. But since my
contributions seem to upset you so, I'll stop.

But one last question, if I may: can you give me the _correct_
definition (and a reference) for gerund? As I said, it's been a long
time since grammar school and if I need to refresh my brain, I'd like
to do so. Thanks.

-- jc
Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection.
To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I guess I haven't been paying attention. When did "scrapbook" become
a verb?

Mid-Victorian times.

Clarke Echols

It happened when someone took "book" as a verb and put "scrap" in front of
it -- as in "book" a cruise, "book" an order, etc. One of the awful and
yet so useful characteristics of the English language, being a *******
derivative of so many other languages including old German, high German,
midieval French, Latin, and nearly everything else on the planet, is that
it tends to freely adopt new words and new uses for old ones.

Get over it.

As for my credentials, the last book I produced required 12 semi-trailer
loads of paper for the first press run -- 3000 pages, 15,000 copies. I
didn't write it all, but I edited and expanded on it for years through
several editions.

CE

wrote:

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

A Womack

Christopher Mooney wrote in
:

Hey fellas!

I'm wondering how many of us are fortunate to have a SWMBO that is in
to the art of Scrapbooking! Well, mine is, and it really wasn't a
surprise to me when she uttered the words "I'm considering getting you
to build something for me to help me with storage and work space." I
have a few ideas (and this likely would not be tackled until sometime
in early spring), but was hoping to hear from those on the WRECK what
you had put together to help your SWMBO out.

Thanks!

Chris Mooney

Wifey has much more in stamps, punches, stickers, die cuts, Quickutz,
and papers then I do in my garage of manly man toys. BUT we don't
discuss such things.

My wife was lamenting space for her growing stamp collection and was not
impressed with the ISIS carts for $40 and up. She zero'd in on a
cabinet that was about $175.00, but she won't spend lump sums, it's 7
trips at $50 that rock her boat.

So I pipe up that I could buy a piece of birch from the local Windsor
store, and make her up a cabinet for under $50.00 that will have like 6
or seven drawers in it.

Gaunlet was dropped. Bought the board, got out a straight edge, the
razor, some blue tape and the circular saw with plywood blade. Made a
carcase that wasn't do great, but you couldn't tell. Then I made her 8
drawers on masonite slides just a hair skinner than the cabinet. They
are 16 1/4" wide, buy 23" deep. It fit ALL her stamps, the pads, some
other junk and she was hooked. I used my router to pattern the drawer
fronts and made a hand pull buy notching the drawer itself. She stamped
those and embossed them.

Then I made a 12x12 paper drawer, that was a bit too much as the hangers
had to push the edge of the drawer over the clearance limit. The top
drawer is usable, but the bottom drawer is still too tight. Someday
will get some of the HDPE tape and fix it.

Then I made another 12x12 cabinet with a skinner type of hanging folder,
and 4 drawers above that.

There is another cabinet to be made after a couple of other projects. I
am trying to talk her into some on the wall storage, but she likes her
walls mostly barren in her room.

Alan
Christopher Mooney

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:28:16 GMT, A Womack
wrote:
snip
There is another cabinet to be made after a couple of other projects. I
am trying to talk her into some on the wall storage, but she likes her
walls mostly barren in her room.

Alan

Thanks for the first-hand experience and ideas! I really appreciate
it, and I am sure the wife thanks you as well

Chris Mooney
A Womack

Here is a link to the first cabinet I made for her:

http://arwomack01.home.att.net/images/cabinet.jpg