Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Our Guys in Houston

Anybody know how Swingman or Leon faired in the
hurricane ? I believe there are several other
folks on the list from that area.

They both dropped off the grid some time on
Saturday.

It appears that power is problematic in parts
of Houston and Galveston is a mess/disaster.

There is a LOT of very unfortunate folks in that
area right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Anybody know how Swingman or Leon faired in the
hurricane ? I believe there are several other
folks on the list from that area.

They both dropped off the grid some time on
Saturday.

It appears that power is problematic in parts
of Houston and Galveston is a mess/disaster.

There is a LOT of very unfortunate folks in that
area right now.

I believe them to be OK. Swing weighed in [via generator] shortly after
the big event and allowed as how he had finally gotten hold of Leon. It
could be that neither has yet to get their power back on or that both are
helping with cleanup and repairs for friends and/or kids and relatives.
As for myself, power is back on here in NW Houston since Tuesday
evening. My loses amount to a single limb of any consequence which missed
the house and the back cedar fence which is 18+ years old anyway and about
to fall down on it's own.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody know how Swingman or Leon faired in the
hurricane ? I believe there are several other
folks on the list from that area.

They both dropped off the grid some time on
Saturday.

It appears that power is problematic in parts
of Houston and Galveston is a mess/disaster.

There is a LOT of very unfortunate folks in that
area right now.

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.
:-)
jo4hn

Oh well, fire season will be with us soon. Spasm.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Anybody know how Swingman or Leon faired in the
hurricane ? I believe there are several other
folks on the list from that area.

They both dropped off the grid some time on
Saturday.

Leon and my respective families fared well, but Leon's home was still out of
power yesterday ... ours is up and running now. I think a couple of the
others from Houston who post here managed to get out of Dodge before Ike.

It appears that power is problematic in parts
of Houston and Galveston is a mess/disaster.

To say the least ... power outages are to be expected when the preponderance
of the infrastructure is above ground. Too damn bad local politics and a
false economy keep that "duh" factor intact in a hurricane prone area.

There is a LOT of very unfortunate folks in that
area right now.

Galveston and surrounding counties are pretty much a mess, but have always
been after hurricanes ... nothing new there, just too many relatively new
folks to the Texas Gulf Coast, with no historical perspective and a
propensity for a quick buck, who can't seem to understand that there are
some places on earth that have no business being populated.

Nonetheless, our sympathy is with them ... a few years back our house
flooded in a tropical storm due to area subsidence and poor building
practices on adjacent lots, so we know the feeling ... it's a monumental
inconvenience that's tougher on the older/poorer citizens. Thank goodness
we've had a cool spell this week ... when the weather turns back to it's
usual seasonal, tropical, hot, humid self, the suffering will get worse.

I managed to get my generator into the hands of someone who needs it, we've
already distributed the ice we managed to keep from melting with the
generator, and the only thing to do is to wait for "business as usual" to
come back ... it always does.

ITMT, I've used a chain saw more in the last three days than in the last 30
.... no matter how old you get, there is someone older who can no longer help
themselves. That's OK ... I needed the exercise, and there is a ton of pecan
wood around that's going to make some good BBQ in the coming months.

Thanks for the thoughts!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with it!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with it!

They have:

http://www.boatblender.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote
Swingman wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with
it!

They have:

http://www.boatblender.com/

ROTFLMAO!! Damn, Jack ... I will be eternally grateful for that link.
PERFECT. Thank you very much!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

ITMT, I've used a chain saw more in the last three days than in the last
30 ... no matter how old you get, there is someone older who can no longer
help themselves. That's OK ... I needed the exercise, and there is a ton
of pecan wood around that's going to make some good BBQ in the coming
months.

Is pecan good for turning?

Glad you are doing well. I am sure that your neighbors are glad that you are
so active and helpful as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

"Nova" wrote
Swingman wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with
it!

They have:

http://www.boatblender.com/

ROTFLMAO!! Damn, Jack ... I will be eternally grateful for that link.
PERFECT. Thank you very much!

Then there are these old faorites.

http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/

http://www.gasblender.com/

http://www.totallygross.com/

Etc., etc., there is a lot of them out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Galveston and surrounding counties are pretty much a mess, but have always
been after hurricanes ... nothing new there, just too many relatively new
folks to the Texas Gulf Coast, with no historical perspective and a
propensity for a quick buck, who can't seem to understand that there are
some places on earth that have no business being populated.

This is a pretty telling pictorial (amongst a lot of pretty telling
pictorials):
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...entful_life_of.

The one of the beachfront at Gilcrest is particularly telling.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Glad you boys/girls(all of you) are back and fairly
well. I'm in hurricane country(SE NC) and we have
seen our fair share of that sort of misery.

People that live near the water never seem to accept
the power of nature.

Swingman wrote:

Leon and my respective families fared well, but Leon's home was still out of
power yesterday ... ours is up and running now. I think a couple of the
others from Houston who post here managed to get out of Dodge before Ike.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote:

People that live near the water never seem to accept
the power of nature.

As long as the fed's are willing to underwrite insurance for housing
built on barrier islands, people will continue to live on them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Minimal Impact on your being, I hope.

Best wishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Pat Barber" wrote:

People that live near the water never seem to accept
the power of nature.

As long as the fed's are willing to underwrite insurance for housing built
on barrier islands, people will continue to live on them.

Many of these homes you see in the pictures of devastation on
Bolivar/Rollover Pass and Galveston's West end are also in the "vacation
home", or "second home", category.

Saddest is those of this category that have been turned, by dreams, into
permanent (no pun intended), primary residence "retirement homes" by unwary
transplants to the area who have never been exposed to the fury of a
hurricane.

It's the latter who do elicit most of that smidge of sympathy that can be
generated for the foolish who have no respect for the power of Mother
Nature. In any case, they are all, regardless of lack of judgment, in need
of help and no effort should be spared in that regard. But, and after the
dust/water settles, and were they my kids, I'd smack the crap out of them.

My homeowner's insurance premiums in the years to come will be covering said
foolishness, like it or not.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

In any case, they are all, regardless of lack of judgment, in need
of help and no effort should be spared in that regard. But, and
after the dust/water settles, and were they my kids, I'd smack the
crap out of them.

Now you went and did it.

Just when you were on the verge of passing yourself as a true hard
ass, you go and show us what a softie you really are.grin

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs with

it!

No need for something new. The cordless drill with suitable attachments like
the beaters from a mixer should be able to handle your Margarita needs. I'm
guessing in the middle of a flood there isn't much to do except to sit
around and drink alcohol before it floats away.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Last I heard they were getting sloshed. Something about the
cordless
DeWalt Margarita maker.

LOL ... a capital idea, BTW. Hope some enterprising individual runs
with

it!

No need for something new. The cordless drill with suitable
attachments like
the beaters from a mixer should be able to handle your Margarita
needs. I'm
guessing in the middle of a flood there isn't much to do except to
sit
around and drink alcohol before it floats away.

I doubt if the drill and a beater will make much of an outboard either
HEHE
I agree it'd be best to use the batteries before they go dead for
mixing drinks
CC

O/T: Houston, You May Have A Problem Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 34 July 27th 08 03:35 PM
Still Looking for a >12" Planer near Houston Jim Woodworking 8 August 1st 05 05:59 PM
Still Looking for a >12" Planer near Houston Jim Woodworking 11 July 27th 05 02:08 AM
Help in Houston arf Metalworking 2 January 14th 05 09:05 PM
For Sale in Houston Ken S Woodworking 2 October 31st 04 10:25 PM