Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.woodworking

Default damage to folding table

for some reason the link is not working directly, so please *copy and paste*
into web browser.

"john d hamilton" wrote in message news:...
we have this type of folding table, please see picture on tinypic website

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dxeaev&s=4

the folding edges are very thin and with a very small clearance. would
this
be able to cope with being stored in a tin garden shed (with no heating)
in
north london u.k. over the winter? Or would it likely warp and distort?
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.woodworking

john d hamilton wrote:
for some reason the link is not working directly, so please *copy
and
paste* into web browser.

The link works fine for me. If the shed is _dry_ I wouldn't expect
any problems. Stored in the shed it likely sees less moisture change
than stored in a heated house, but if it's getting wet all bets are
off.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
john d hamilton wrote:
for some reason the link is not working directly, so please *copy
and
paste* into web browser.

The link works fine for me. If the shed is _dry_ I wouldn't expect
any problems. Stored in the shed it likely sees less moisture change
than stored in a heated house, but if it's getting wet all bets are
off.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

John thanks. the roof does not leak, but the concrete floor gets wet.
obviously i would stand the table on bricks off the wet floor, but i guess
the humidity is going sky high. does that count as wet, in this instance?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.woodworking

john d hamilton wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
john d hamilton wrote:
for some reason the link is not working directly, so please *copy
and
paste* into web browser.

The link works fine for me. If the shed is _dry_ I wouldn't expect
any problems. Stored in the shed it likely sees less moisture
change
than stored in a heated house, but if it's getting wet all bets are
off.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

John thanks. the roof does not leak, but the concrete floor gets
wet.
obviously i would stand the table on bricks off the wet floor, but i
guess the humidity is going sky high. does that count as wet, in
this instance?

Sort of. How does the water get on the floor--does it seep up from
undereath or is it coming in from somewhere else? If it's seeping
throught the floor it shouldn't be a problem, but if it's coming in
from somewhere else you need to find and fix the leak.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

john d hamilton wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
john d hamilton wrote:
[...]

I would be concerned about storing any kind of furniture in a building
that damp. If the floor is wet enough to notice, then the water could
easily wick up through whatever you use to raise your furniture up. You
might get by with plastic spacers, but I'd still worry about the
humidity in the air.

That looks like a nice drop-leaf table. It probably has some veneer on
it, and I've seen a lot of veneer delaminate in moist environments.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

damage to folding table john d hamilton Woodworking 2 September 16th 08 08:05 PM
FOLDING TABLE J T Woodworking 0 December 13th 05 10:31 PM
FOLDING BENCH AND PICNIC TABLE COMBO J T Woodworking 0 January 30th 05 12:26 AM
Wall mounted folding table BigBird UK diy 5 January 17th 05 03:48 PM
Where to buy folding adjustable table legs for my outfeed table Dick Snyder Woodworking 10 December 16th 04 09:25 AM