Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Granite & Water Stones

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. We decided (good or bad) to
use granite tiles for vanity top. We have purchased the tiles and are very
happy with the tiles themselves. I have never dealt with granite before
and am trying decide how to finish the front edge. I saw the aluminum
edging and didn't like it. I want to polish the unfinished sides of the
tile and just use tiles to finish the front edge.

The question: Has anyone used waterstones to polish the edge of granite?
I tried it on a scrap piece, using 200, 1000 and 4000 grits. It seemed to
work pretty well. After only 10 minutes total, the side was pretty smooth
to the touch, but was not as glossy as the top (but close). I think a
little more time and it will work. I may buy a 6000 or 8000 grit stone to
shine it up a bit.

Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:31:45 -0500, "Dave B - Parkville, MD"
wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. We decided (good or bad) to
use granite tiles for vanity top. We have purchased the tiles and are very
happy with the tiles themselves. I have never dealt with granite before
and am trying decide how to finish the front edge. I saw the aluminum
edging and didn't like it. I want to polish the unfinished sides of the
tile and just use tiles to finish the front edge.

The question: Has anyone used waterstones to polish the edge of granite?
I tried it on a scrap piece, using 200, 1000 and 4000 grits. It seemed to
work pretty well. After only 10 minutes total, the side was pretty smooth
to the touch, but was not as glossy as the top (but close). I think a
little more time and it will work. I may buy a 6000 or 8000 grit stone to
shine it up a bit.

Any thoughts?

Howdy,

I suspect that it would be easier (and certainly much less
costly) to use abrasive paper instead of the stones.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave B - Parkville, MD wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. We decided (good or bad) to
use granite tiles for vanity top. We have purchased the tiles and are very
happy with the tiles themselves. I have never dealt with granite before
and am trying decide how to finish the front edge. I saw the aluminum
edging and didn't like it. I want to polish the unfinished sides of the
tile and just use tiles to finish the front edge.

The question: Has anyone used waterstones to polish the edge of granite?
I tried it on a scrap piece, using 200, 1000 and 4000 grits. It seemed to
work pretty well. After only 10 minutes total, the side was pretty smooth
to the touch, but was not as glossy as the top (but close). I think a
little more time and it will work. I may buy a 6000 or 8000 grit stone to
shine it up a bit.

Any thoughts?

Most shops use silicon carbide papers (the waterproof black stuff used
by body shops) and equipment that feeds water through the center of the
pad, to flush away the ground up stone. Several stages of grit, just
like working on wood, but a lot slower and messier. Go out to a fine
grit of your preference, then use a buffer and rubbing compound to get
that polished finish. If you do use granite, make sure you relieve the
edge before you go through the sanding/polishing steps. A sharp stone
corner on the edge of the counter is a real hazard in a bathroom. At
minimum, I'd at least use a 1/4 inch or so wide 45 degree, or a 1/4
round over. You can typically use carbide tools on granite, but you
have to go slow and may need to provide cooling. (Can't recall seeing a
water protected router for years, though).

One way to finish the edge I've used that wife really liked (in a
kitchen) was a 3/4 x 1 1/2" wooden molding on the edge. You can match
the wood with the rest of the room or house and it can tie things
together from an architectural design standpoint. It also makes for a
LOT softer edge for an elbow, and is easy to put in place before you
grout the tile. If you do use wood, use the best exterior quality
finish you can, as most interior finishes just don't like the
high-frequency of water a countertop edge will see.

Waterstones will work, but it will take you a very long time to do it
all with only "elbow grease" as the power source...

--Rick
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:24:31 -0600, Kenneth wrote
(in article ):

Howdy,

I suspect that it would be easier (and certainly much less
costly) to use abrasive paper instead of the stones.

All the best,

I used silcon carbide papers for the exposed edges around a kitchen sink. It
took some time, but I was able to round over about 8 linear feet of 1/4" tile
edge in an hour (180 grit through 600)

For the counter edges I just wrapped in hickory to match the cabinets.

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:04:01 -0600, Bruce
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:24:31 -0600, Kenneth wrote
(in article ):

Howdy,

I suspect that it would be easier (and certainly much less
costly) to use abrasive paper instead of the stones.

All the best,

I used silcon carbide papers for the exposed edges around a kitchen sink. It
took some time, but I was able to round over about 8 linear feet of 1/4" tile
edge in an hour (180 grit through 600)

For the counter edges I just wrapped in hickory to match the cabinets.

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The hickory edging sounds beautiful...

'Just curious:

How did you mount it?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 1, 2:08*am, rick frazier wrote:
[snip]
*You can typically use carbide tools on granite, but you
have to go slow and may need to provide cooling. *(Can't recall seeing a
water protected router for years, though).

There are many waterproof routers, but most are over $ 3000.00.
Carbide and granite? Even water cooled it just won't fly. You can,
sometimes, get away with small touch-up on marble, but granite is just
too hard for carbide.
You can get discs for your angle grinder with diamonds, which you can
use dry, and they're not that expensive. But the dust is insane.
http://www.granquartz.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. We decided (good or bad) to
use granite tiles for vanity top. We have purchased the tiles and are very
happy with the tiles themselves. I have never dealt with granite before
and am trying decide how to finish the front edge. I saw the aluminum
edging and didn't like it. I want to polish the unfinished sides of the
tile and just use tiles to finish the front edge.

The question: Has anyone used waterstones to polish the edge of granite?
I tried it on a scrap piece, using 200, 1000 and 4000 grits. It seemed to
work pretty well. After only 10 minutes total, the side was pretty smooth
to the touch, but was not as glossy as the top (but close). I think a
little more time and it will work. I may buy a 6000 or 8000 grit stone to
shine it up a bit.

Any thoughts?

I used the diamond impregnated pads from here, successfully on my
granite tile edges in the kitchen.

http://granitecitytool.com/showcat.c...lishing%20Pads

They also sell router bits, but those are more for shaping an edge
rather than merely polishing them up.

I was able to make a small chamfer on the underside of the tiles with
these pads.

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave B - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

i use one of these for polishing glass, concrete, or granite:

http://www.defusco.com/Power-&-Pneum...duct_info.html

if you have a lot to do, it would make things go a lot faster. you could
probably sell on ebay for about what you paid after using it on one job.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Water marks on granite worktop Martin Pentreath UK diy 7 September 12th 06 03:15 PM
Waterstones or Water Stones. What is a good source eganders Woodworking 9 November 30th 05 10:52 PM
Granite Countertop Leaving water and oil spots [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 19th 04 08:41 PM
Shapton Water Stones J Woodworking 15 December 16th 04 06:11 PM
Care and cleaning of water stones Jacobe Hazzard Woodworking 6 October 30th 04 03:40 AM