Posted to rec.woodworking
Renata Renata is offline

Default Granite & Water Stones

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:31:45 -0500, "Dave B - Parkville, MD"
wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. We decided (good or bad) to
use granite tiles for vanity top. We have purchased the tiles and are very
happy with the tiles themselves. I have never dealt with granite before
and am trying decide how to finish the front edge. I saw the aluminum
edging and didn't like it. I want to polish the unfinished sides of the
tile and just use tiles to finish the front edge.

The question: Has anyone used waterstones to polish the edge of granite?
I tried it on a scrap piece, using 200, 1000 and 4000 grits. It seemed to
work pretty well. After only 10 minutes total, the side was pretty smooth
to the touch, but was not as glossy as the top (but close). I think a
little more time and it will work. I may buy a 6000 or 8000 grit stone to
shine it up a bit.

Any thoughts?

I used the diamond impregnated pads from here, successfully on my
granite tile edges in the kitchen.

http://granitecitytool.com/showcat.c...lishing%20Pads

They also sell router bits, but those are more for shaping an edge
rather than merely polishing them up.

I was able to make a small chamfer on the underside of the tiles with
these pads.

Renata