Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bench for the ages

Lie Nielsen's current news, with orders suspended until they clear
some of the current nine month backlog:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...c8b9c6170.aspx

I've gotta go wipe the slobber off my keyboard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
Lie Nielsen's current news, with orders suspended until they clear
some of the current nine month backlog:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...c8b9c6170.aspx

I've gotta go wipe the slobber off my keyboard.

I'm not convinced that the stretchers are wide enough. The skinny
stretchers are fine when the legs are mortised into the top like on the
original, but when the top is removable the stretchers provide more of
the racking resistance and I'm not sure that they will hold up long-term.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...,fba82d70-b48a...

I've gotta go wipe the slobber off my keyboard.

I'm not convinced that the stretchers are wide enough. *The skinny
stretchers are fine when the legs are mortised into the top like on the
original, but when the top is removable the stretchers provide more of
the racking resistance and I'm not sure that they will hold up long-term.

The article said there are two sets of stretchers - one up, one down.
The draw bolts will keep things tight, so where is it going?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

The article said there are two sets of stretchers - one up, one down.
The draw bolts will keep things tight, so where is it going?

The upper stretchers go side-to-side, not end-to-end. There is a single
bolt in the center of each lower stretcher...the thinner the stretcher
the less racking force is necessary to compress the wood in the legs
beyond yield, allowing racking.

The relationship is basically linear--given the same materials, a
stretcher twice as wide can withstand twice as much racking force.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 22, 3:37 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
The article said there are two sets of stretchers - one up, one down.
The draw bolts will keep things tight, so where is it going?

The upper stretchers go side-to-side, not end-to-end. There is a single
bolt in the center of each lower stretcher...the thinner the stretcher
the less racking force is necessary to compress the wood in the legs
beyond yield, allowing racking.

To be precise, racking will occur even while wood is only stressed
within the elastic range. Stressing it to the yield damages it
permanently.

Diagonal braces could be added to the bench, many would probably
want to add shelves or cabinets underneath for storage anyhow.

--

FF

RACK OF AGES J T Woodworking 4 January 5th 05 08:03 PM
WITHDRAWN: rec.woodworking.all-ages J T Woodworking 14 December 1st 04 04:00 PM
REVOTE: rec.woodworking.all-ages Woodchuck Bill Woodworking 8 November 28th 04 02:36 AM
CFV: rec.woodworking.all-ages Larry Jaques Woodworking 47 October 5th 04 07:34 PM
OT - middle ages? Larry Blanchard Woodworking 65 June 19th 04 02:56 PM