Bob

"J T" wrote in message
Gods above, you're good, you make it sound almost like someone
actually cared. "Leaving people in suspense". Yeah, I could hardly
stand it. ROTFLMAO

I kind of snickered at the serious, original posting, then roared when I
read your reply.

Before internet, I operated a bulletin board with fidonet discussion groups.
We learned over the years to just ride out a few storms in an active group,
rather than go off and create a new one. The new one and any group with
large, active participation is going to have problems from time to time.
This group has proven that its vital and lasting. The worst thing in the
world would be to try to kill it. Its a good thing just like it is - warts
and all.

Bob

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:27:01 -0800, NAN Team
wrote:

After further consideration, the proponents of rec.woodworking.all-ages
have elected to withdraw their proposal rather than seek a revote. There
will not be a revote, and no newsgroup will be created.

Thankyou Susan and Vito. I sincerely think this is the best result
for the newsgroup and its users. I appreciate your action in making
this decision.

Now, how about showing up in the group and talking about some
woodworking ? It's a good group, you'd be very welcome.

Woodchuck Bill

"Bob" wrote in
nk.net:

"J T" wrote in message
Gods above, you're good, you make it sound almost like someone
actually cared. "Leaving people in suspense". Yeah, I could hardly
stand it. ROTFLMAO

I kind of snickered at the serious, original posting, then roared when
I read your reply.

Before internet, I operated a bulletin board with fidonet discussion
groups. We learned over the years to just ride out a few storms in an
active group, rather than go off and create a new one. The new one
and any group with large, active participation is going to have
problems from time to time. This group has proven that its vital and
lasting. The worst thing in the world would be to try to kill it.
Its a good thing just like it is - warts and all.

Despite JOAT's flamage, there were many people who were *very* interested
in the outcome of this vote. Some of those people were rec.woodworking
regulars, some were news.groups regulars. Some people fell into both
categories. In the end, the proponents did the right thing. If you read the
"concession speech" they posted to news.groups, you'll see that their
proposed all-ages woodworking group will still be created in another
hierarchy, but not in rec.*. I wish them well. I only suggest that they go
back to the original plan of moderating the group, or else it might not
serve their intended purpose.

--
Bill

wrote:

After further consideration, the proponents of rec.woodworking.all-ages
have elected to withdraw their proposal rather than seek a revote. There
will not be a revote, and no newsgroup will be created.

Thankyou Susan and Vito. I sincerely think this is the best result
for the newsgroup and its users. I appreciate your action in making
this decision.

Now, how about showing up in the group and talking about some
woodworking ? It's a good group, you'd be very welcome.

they won't. people sometimes say **** here....

Thomas Bunetta

snipped 4 BW

they won't. people sometimes say **** here....

Gasp!

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:05:39 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:36:33 +0000, Andy Dingley
After further consideration, the proponents of rec.woodworking.all-ages
have elected to withdraw their proposal rather than seek a revote. There
will not be a revote, and no newsgroup will be created.

Thankyou Susan and Vito. I sincerely think this is the best result
for the newsgroup and its users. I appreciate your action in making
this decision.

Now, how about showing up in the group and talking about some
woodworking ? It's a good group, you'd be very welcome.

they won't. people sometimes say **** here....

Who does that?

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=****&safe=images&as_ugroup=rec.woodwor king&lr=&num=100&hl=en

Robert McClenon

On 30 Nov 2004 14:14:54 GMT, Woodchuck Bill
wrote:

[snip]
Despite JOAT's flamage, there were many people who were *very* interested
in the outcome of this vote. Some of those people were rec.woodworking
regulars, some were news.groups regulars. Some people fell into both
categories. In the end, the proponents did the right thing. If you read the
"concession speech" they posted to news.groups, you'll see that their
proposed all-ages woodworking group will still be created in another
hierarchy, but not in rec.*. I wish them well. I only suggest that they go
back to the original plan of moderating the group, or else it might not
serve their intended purpose.

I agree. However, the problem is that they did not consider a
compromise. They originally proposed manual moderation. Then they
proposed no moderation. The compromise was robomoderation, which
works reasonably well at keeping out dirty words.

I think that they should consider robomoderation.

- - Bob McClenon

Woodchuck Bill

Robert McClenon wrote in
:

On 30 Nov 2004 14:14:54 GMT, Woodchuck Bill
wrote:

[snip]
[...]

I meant moderation in general, which could be either robo or manual..or a
hybrid of both.

--
Bill
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:47:27 GMT, Robert McClenon wrote:

I agree. However, the problem is that they did not consider a
compromise. They originally proposed manual moderation. Then they
proposed no moderation. The compromise was robomoderation, which
works reasonably well at keeping out dirty words.

I think that they should consider robomoderation.

I think they should come here (the Wreck) and introduce themselves,
and explain what they're actually up to, participate in a conversation,
and explain why they want our support.