Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer slides for a medicine cabinet door?

Thinking out loud he I've built an oak medicine cabinet to fit
into a standard stud-cavity recess but have not attached the door yet.
Rather than using Euro-style or other hinges, I'm wondering if I might
use a pair of drawer slides to hang the door so it slides to one side
rather than swinging out? Anyone done this? Or given it enough
thought to consider what sort of slides would work? I'm thinking low-
profile side mount ball bearing slides, but wouldn't one need to be
mounted "backward" for that to work?

I don't mind if the finished door protrudes 1/2" or so from the wall;
it has a mirror inset so would look like I'd hung a mirror on the
wall. Much more than that might look odd though, and would reveal the
slides when closed.

thanks,

kiwanda
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kiwanda" wrote:

Thinking out loud he I've built an oak medicine cabinet to fit
into a standard stud-cavity recess but have not attached the door
yet.
Rather than using Euro-style or other hinges, I'm wondering if I
might
use a pair of drawer slides to hang the door so it slides to one
side
rather than swinging out? Anyone done this? Or given it enough
thought to consider what sort of slides would work?

An old trick on a boat where space is at a real premium.

Take a look at some examples in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht
Joinery.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kiwanda wrote:
Thinking out loud he I've built an oak medicine cabinet to fit
into a standard stud-cavity recess but have not attached the door yet.
Rather than using Euro-style or other hinges, I'm wondering if I might
use a pair of drawer slides to hang the door so it slides to one side
rather than swinging out? Anyone done this? Or given it enough
thought to consider what sort of slides would work? I'm thinking low-
profile side mount ball bearing slides, but wouldn't one need to be
mounted "backward" for that to work?

I've seen it done. And you don't need to worry about mounting one
"backwards". Side-mount ball-bearing slides are reversible.

If 1/2" gap is acceptable, you don't even need to go "low-profile",
that's the gap for regular standard slides.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Kiwanda wrote:

Thinking about our "medicine" cabinets, because they hold every damn thing
except meds..... The sliding door would probably disturb the delicate balance
of 30 lbs of **** in a 20 lb bag and spill stuff every time the door was
opened..
I visualize a sink/floor with various tubes/jars/packages/etc scattered in/on
it..

Other than that, I like the idea.. I had a phone that slid open and liked it..
(once I got used to it)

As to the drawer slides, I find that simple mockups, even out of cardboard, a
more fool proof way of design than logic or drawings...

Thinking out loud he I've built an oak medicine cabinet to fit
into a standard stud-cavity recess but have not attached the door yet.
Rather than using Euro-style or other hinges, I'm wondering if I might
use a pair of drawer slides to hang the door so it slides to one side
rather than swinging out? Anyone done this? Or given it enough
thought to consider what sort of slides would work? I'm thinking low-
profile side mount ball bearing slides, but wouldn't one need to be
mounted "backward" for that to work?

I don't mind if the finished door protrudes 1/2" or so from the wall;
it has a mirror inset so would look like I'd hung a mirror on the
wall. Much more than that might look odd though, and would reveal the
slides when closed.

thanks,

kiwanda

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Drawer Slides, Filing Cabinet Victor Woodworking 6 August 3rd 08 09:31 PM
Drawer slides skulde13 Home Repair 3 January 12th 06 03:30 PM
medicine cabinet door opening Ken Home Repair 3 September 27th 05 01:45 AM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM
Joining Corner Problem - Medicine Cabinet Door Patrick Gillette Woodworking 7 February 20th 04 03:19 PM