Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adapter for Delta dust collector

I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. They inform me
that Delta has their own propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 12:42 pm, jtpr wrote:
I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. They inform me
that Delta has their own propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim

make a circle cutting jig for your router table. for making narrow
rings, you're best off doing it on the router table. for fitting up
where you have a loose fit, you'll end up with a skinny ring, kinda
like a giant Oring. where you have a tight fit you'll have a block
with 2 diameter holes bored in opposing sides.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 4:06*pm, wrote:
On Aug 14, 12:42 pm, jtpr wrote:

I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. *So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. *They inform me
that Delta has their own *propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? *Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim

make a circle cutting jig for your router table. for making narrow
rings, you're best off doing it on the router table. for fitting up
where you have a loose fit, you'll end up with a skinny ring, kinda
like a giant Oring. where you have a tight fit you'll have a block
with 2 diameter holes bored in opposing sides.

I'm not really following what you are proposing. Nobody makes a
commercial adapter? Seems weird.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Which model of DC... I have a 1.5hp 50-850 unit and all things
I have bought fit fine...

Are you talking about the rubber "covers" ???

jtpr wrote:
I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. They inform me
that Delta has their own propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. *So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. *They inform me
that Delta has their own *propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? *Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim- Hide quoted text -

Well, I would like the cover for the one I'm not using. But more
importantly, I want to be able to put a "standard" 4" hose over the
one I am using. By standard I mean the clear hose I bought at
Woodcraft. It matches the size of the intake on the DC exactly, won't
go over it or even in it. So I went down to WC and they had a Delta
and a Jet in their DC room. I went over to the bin of accessories and
picked out a 4" to 2 1/2" adapter as a test. It went on the Jet, but
not the Delta. Same for everything I tried. It was exactly the same
size, same OD and ID as the hoses and adapters. Not so the Jet. I
then asked the guy that works there and he told me that all the Delta
DC's are like that. The intake ports are prorietary, none of the
standard third party attachments will work. So I asked if there was
an adapter and he said no. So I bought a 4" coupler, took it home and
dremeled out until it was paper thin and forced it over, sealing it
with duct tape. Works, but it bugs me that this could be true.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

I have the Delta 50-760 1.5hp collector and had no problems putting
standard 4" flex hose over the two inlets on the "Y".

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

Well, I would like the cover for the one I'm not using.

Duct tape! Actually a metal 4" vent cover from a home center will
probably look better, with the tape.

But more
importantly, I want to be able to put a "standard" 4" hose over the
one I am using. By standard I mean the clear hose I bought at
Woodcraft.

Put a "quick connect" on the end of the hose. It's a shame the
Woodcraft employees didn't know that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
jtpr wrote:

Well, I would like the cover for the one I'm not using.

Duct tape! Actually a metal 4" vent cover from a home center will
probably look better, with the tape.

But more
importantly, I want to be able to put a "standard" 4" hose over the
one I am using. By standard I mean the clear hose I bought at
Woodcraft.

Put a "quick connect" on the end of the hose. It's a shame the
Woodcraft employees didn't know that.

Yes, or a coupling.

But I vote for duct tape.

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:42:20 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

I just bought a used Delta 1.5 hp dust collector. So, I go to
Woodcraft to buy a cover for the y fittng and an adapter to put my 4"
hose on it which I found, to my dismay, would not fit. They inform me
that Delta has their own propriatary size on the intake and nothing
they have fit's it.

Does anybody know of an adapter to allow standard 4" accessories to
fit on this (or any) Delta dust collector? Duct tape looks cool, but
I would rather a "cleaner" look.

-Jim

Jim, I worked for Delta for many years and while I had nothing to do
with the manufacture or sale of dust collectors ( with the exception
of air cleaners), I do know that the marketing people where smart
guys. While it is the dream of all marketing folks to have a product
so unique that they would be able to sell exclusive accessories, that
is not the case with Delta dust collection stuff.

Things may have changed but during my tenure what you are describing
was not the case.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
[...]

Usually, if two fittings are exactly the same size, there is another
fitting that goes in it or around it. Anyway, I use standard PVC pipe
for my dust collection and where I want to hook up a standard shop vac
hose that doesn't fit in any plumbing pipe, I use Fernco plumbing
connectors. these connectors are high quality and flexible as to size
(within reason) and cheaper than dust collector specific stuff.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 6:07*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
jtpr wrote:

Well, I would like the cover for the one I'm not using.

Duct tape! *Actually a metal 4" vent cover from a home center will
probably look better, with the tape.

But more

importantly, I want to be able to put a "standard" 4" hose over the
one I am using. *By standard I mean *the clear hose I bought at
Woodcraft.

Put a "quick connect" on the end of the hose. *It's a shame the
Woodcraft employees didn't know that.

Funny you should say that, I saw that listed in accessories on the
Delta site. Did one of these come with the machine originally? I
guess I could order one online.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

Funny you should say that, I saw that listed in accessories on the
Delta site. Did one of these come with the machine originally?

I have a Jet, so I can't guess.