Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stain Over Finished Wood with MiniWax?

I have a piece of furniture that is stained and already sealed in a
light color. I plan to use MiniWax stain product to make it darker.
Should this work? Even though MiniWax has some built in sealer should
I still use a Varnish to seal over that for it to properly seal since
I am going over an existing sealant?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
I have a piece of furniture that is stained and already sealed in a
light color. I plan to use MiniWax stain product to make it darker.
Should this work? Even though MiniWax has some built in sealer should
I still use a Varnish to seal over that for it to properly seal since
I am going over an existing sealant?

Stain is meant for raw wood as it soaks in. You *could* use it on a
pre-existing hard finish by first sanding that finish to provide a tooth for
the stain but I'd suggest useing a toner - color in a clear finish. What
finish? Same as what is on it now, probably lacquer (if commercially done)
or polyurethane (if DIY done). In the case of the latter, the old surface
needs to be lightly but totally sanded first. More than one coat of toner
may be needed to get the color you want.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
I have a piece of furniture that is stained and already sealed in a
light color. I plan to use MiniWax stain product to make it darker.
Should this work? Even though MiniWax has some built in sealer should
I still use a Varnish to seal over that for it to properly seal since
I am going over an existing sealant?

Should it work? NO! Will it work, that will be up to you to decide.
Adding a stain over a finish is more like adding a glaze/faux finish effect.
Yes you should add a protective finish over that however it is likely to
disturb the Miniwax coat.

To do it properly sand down to bare wood and use a stain that is the
color/darkness that you like, followed by a protective varnish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can use the Minwax Polyshades product. It is a polyurethane
(varnish) with color in it. You'll need to experiment to see if you
can darken up your project as desired. Maybe there is some back leg or
area you can experiment. One thing to watch for is to be very careful
in application because overlaps on slightly dried areas will be darker
than not over;lapped areas. Have to apply very evenly with this
product, evan on raw wood.

Light (very light) sonading would be good to get good adhesion.

Drying finished wood tww Woodturning 11 June 24th 08 03:30 AM
Stupid question about wood stain (wood tint) Toller Woodworking 9 March 27th 07 04:16 AM
Pre-finished vs sand/stain wood floor Arpil Home Repair 5 January 24th 07 01:53 PM
wood stain, pre-stain, clear coat questions peter Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 08:51 PM
Burning finished wood in fireplace? ok Home Repair 6 October 2nd 04 07:33 PM