Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spray Contact Cement

I have a veneer project coming up. I have already decided I am going to use
contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? How messy? What
about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact cement
is "doable." Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most appreicated. ;-)

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 6:38*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a veneer project coming up. *I have already decided I am going to use
contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? *How messy? *What
about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact cement
is "doable." *Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most appreicated. ;-)

Deb

Is the veneer backed? Like a paper or cloth backing? If it isn't,
stay away from water based contact.
I'd be inclined to use a can of 3M 77.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 25, 6:38Â*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a veneer project coming up. Â*I have already decided I am going to
use contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? Â*How messy?
What about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact
cement is "doable." Â*Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most
appreicated. ;-)

Deb

Is the veneer backed? Like a paper or cloth backing? If it isn't,
stay away from water based contact.
I'd be inclined to use a can of 3M 77.

Yes, the veneer is 22mil paper backed. Thanks for the tip on the 3m 77.
Now, all I have to do is find it. It is amazing how many things are not
available in Montgomery, Al. Watching the cooking shows (my other hobby)
and the DIY shows where they say, "You can get this at your local ____."
The chances of getting in and around Montgomery are not all that good.
Thank goodness for online ordering. :-)

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 8:50*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:38*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a veneer project coming up. *I have already decided I am going to
use contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? *How messy?
What about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact
cement is "doable." *Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most
appreicated. ;-)

Deb

Is the veneer backed? *Like a paper or cloth backing? If it isn't,
stay away from water based contact.
I'd be inclined to use a can of 3M 77.

Yes, the veneer is 22mil paper backed. *Thanks for the tip on the 3m 77..
Now, all I have to do is find it. *It is amazing how many things are not
available in Montgomery, Al. *Watching the cooking shows (my other hobby)
and the DIY shows where they say, "You can get this at your local ____."
The chances of getting in and around Montgomery are not all that good.
Thank goodness for online ordering. :-)

Deb

HD has it on the shelf...even here in a small HD store. Try there?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

On Jul 25, 6:38Â pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a veneer project coming up. Â I have already decided I am going to
use contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? Â How messy?
What about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact
cement is "doable." Â Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most
appreicated. ;-)

Deb

Is the veneer backed? Like a paper or cloth backing? If it isn't,
stay away from water based contact.
I'd be inclined to use a can of 3M 77.

Yes, the veneer is 22mil paper backed. Thanks for the tip on the 3m 77.
Now, all I have to do is find it. It is amazing how many things are not
available in Montgomery, Al. Watching the cooking shows (my other hobby)
and the DIY shows where they say, "You can get this at your local ____."
The chances of getting in and around Montgomery are not all that good.
Thank goodness for online ordering. :-)

Deb

I bought mine at Lowe's.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A diplomat thinks twice before saying
nothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be careful using the solvent based. Fumes create a fire/explosion hazard.
I just pour it out and spread it with a scraper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:38:21 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I have a veneer project coming up. I have already decided I am going to use
contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

Nothing wrong with contact cement, but if you're veneering a flat surface
you don't need a veneer press. Hide glue and a veneer hammer will work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 8:50*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:38*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a veneer project coming up. *I have already decided I am going to
use contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

What brand and product in that brand would you recommend? *How messy?
What about water based contact cement?

From what little I have been able to Google on this, spraying contact
cement is "doable." *Any hints, advice or help ridicule is most
appreicated. ;-)

Deb

Is the veneer backed? *Like a paper or cloth backing? If it isn't,
stay away from water based contact.
I'd be inclined to use a can of 3M 77.

Yes, the veneer is 22mil paper backed. *Thanks for the tip on the 3m 77..
Now, all I have to do is find it. *It is amazing how many things are not
available in Montgomery, Al. *Watching the cooking shows (my other hobby)
and the DIY shows where they say, "You can get this at your local ____."
The chances of getting in and around Montgomery are not all that good.
Thank goodness for online ordering. :-)

Deb

BTW, the spray comes out in a fan-shape. The right distance will give
you a spray about 6" wide. The glue will have noticeable 'direction'
to it.
It is hard the explain. The 'grain' of the glue will show up as a
'vertical' pattern. Then when spraying the piece that you are going to
attach, turn the spray pattern on that piece 90 degrees, so that the
'glue-grain' crosses at 90 degrees. Allow to dry till you feel a
slight resistance (grabbiness *s*) when you lightly slide your clean
fingers across the glue. The glue should not stick to you. Also, poke
any large bubbles in the glue with a toothpick so that the gas can
escape.
And no open flames in the same building. That includes pilot lights.
I'm sure you already know that.

At the HD type Borgs, they sell rubber rollers which are used to apply
laminate. They can be a bit pricey, but by looking at them, you'll get
the idea what they're about. A 3" x3" block of flat stock and a hammer
works as well.

I don't know how big a piece it is, but suspending it with some clean
dowels, about 3" apart (or other small sticks) then you get to align
your piece and then remove the centre dowel and press the veneer down.
Then work outwards from the centre by removing one stick (dowel) at
the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:38:21 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I have a veneer project coming up. I have already decided I am going to use
contact cement (not worth it to build a veneer press large enough -
48"x57") and need some advice.

Nothing wrong with contact cement, but if you're veneering a flat surface
you don't need a veneer press. Hide glue and a veneer hammer will work.

And if you decide to go that route, make sure you learn the proper way to use
a veneer hammer first. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

HD has it on the shelf...even here in a small HD store. Try there?

In my area, 3M 77 is also carried in most any hardware store, auto parts
stores, office supply stores, photography stores, craft stores...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 3:57*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

HD has it on the shelf...even here in a small HD store. Try there?

In my area, 3M 77 is also carried in most any hardware store, auto parts
stores, office supply stores, photography stores, craft stores...

BBbbut BARRY... (*whispers*) the Doc is in Alabama??
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
news

Yes, the veneer is 22mil paper backed. Thanks for the tip on the 3m 77.
Now, all I have to do is find it. It is amazing how many things are not
available in Montgomery, Al. Watching the cooking shows (my other hobby)
and the DIY shows where they say, "You can get this at your local ____."
The chances of getting in and around Montgomery are not all that good.
Thank goodness for online ordering. :-)

Fortunately, 3M 77 is a common find almost anywhere. You should find it
right on the shelf at Home Depot.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
: On Jul 26, 3:57*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
: Robatoy wrote:
:
: HD has it on the shelf...even here in a small HD store. Try there?
:
: In my area, 3M 77 is also carried in most any hardware store, auto parts
: stores, office supply stores, photography stores, craft stores...

: BBbbut BARRY... (*whispers*) the Doc is in Alabama??

Actually Montgomery has 2 HDs and 2 Lowes, so I really don't understand
the comment about not finding stuff there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

km

Actually Montgomery has 2 HDs and 2 Lowes, so I really don't understand
the comment about not finding stuff there.

They probably have Office Depot and Staples, as well.

I know all about Alabama. I saw the "Top Gear" episode where the hosts
drove through! G