Posted to rec.woodworking

Default fastener depth

In general when joining wood, how deep should the fasterners go? To
clarify, if I'm joining two 1/2" planks with screws - should I use a 1"
screw, a 3/4", 5/8". I'm trying to determine what size screws to order for
my next project, and to do that I'll need to figure out how deep the screws
should go into the wood. Seems like in the above example 1" screws would be
too long, the risk of the point erupting from the wood is too great. But
5/8" is pretty darn short - barely penetrating the second board.

So, it seems like the answer is easy - 3/4". But before I go and ruin a
perfectly nice project, I figure I'd better ask just in case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
In general when joining wood, how deep should the fasterners go? To
clarify, if I'm joining two 1/2" planks with screws - should I use a 1"
screw, a 3/4", 5/8". I'm trying to determine what size screws to order

for
my next project, and to do that I'll need to figure out how deep the

screws
should go into the wood.

You should use the longest screws you can find that don't come out the other
side. That being said, no matter what screws you use, 1/2" to 1/2" is going
to be a weak fairly attachment no matter what screws you use. I'd certainly
use glue in addition to screws and it would help to know where in your
project are you joining 1/2" boards? Maybe it's a location that can be
joined by other means.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

1/2" to 1/2" is a hypothetical. The actual project itself will involve a
whole bunch of different sized boards. What I was interested in hearing,
and thanks for the advice - "use the longest screws you can find that don't
come out the other side" Glue is definitely going to be used for all the
joints - just so I can minimize usage of screws.

For some reason I had it in my head that it was in fact better to use the
smallest length screws that still joined the boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

Just remember, the longer the screws the bigger chance of a split board,
pre-drill your holes.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

That's exactly why I thought it was best to use the shortest screws rather
than the longest ones. This is where a good drill press comes into play.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

As a rule of thumb you want about 1/3 of the screw length going into
the piece that is in contact with the screw head.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

1/2" to 1/2" is a hypothetical. The actual project itself will involve a
whole bunch of different sized boards. What I was interested in hearing,
and thanks for the advice - "use the longest screws you can find that
don't come out the other side" Glue is definitely going to be used for
all the joints - just so I can minimize usage of screws.

For some reason I had it in my head that it was in fact better to use the
smallest length screws that still joined the boards.

The rule of thumb is to have 1/3 of the screw in the board to be fastened
and 2/3" of the screw into the board being fastened to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
1/2" to 1/2" is a hypothetical. The actual project itself will involve a
whole bunch of different sized boards.

You can't really use a hypothetical question because the thickness of the
wood to be joined changes the answer in varying degrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

For some reason I had it in my head that it was in fact better to use the
smallest length screws that still joined the boards.

The rule of thumb is to have 1/3 of the screw in the board to be fastened
and 2/3" of the screw into the board being fastened to.

Another rule of thumb is to put your thumb on the back side of the work. If
the screw goes into your thumb, it is too long.

Keep in mind that screws not only come in different lengths, but different
thicknesses. I use mostly #6 and #8 for typical 3/4" wood but if you are
working with 2 x 4's and the like #10 or #12 may be better. Pre drilling a
pilot hole helps as does a countersink. You can get bits that do both in
one operation.

Buy good screws. Buy from McFeelys, Lee Valley and the like, not Home
Depot. I also like the square drive screws too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
1/2" to 1/2" is a hypothetical. The actual project itself will involve a
whole bunch of different sized boards.

You can't really use a hypothetical question because the thickness of the
wood to be joined changes the answer in varying degrees.

Hmm, didn't know that.

My apologies.

Well in this case I'm installing a 1/2" stiffener board to the backside of a
1" plank surface.. The planks are poplar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:34:52 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

In general when joining wood, how deep should the fasterners go? To
clarify, if I'm joining two 1/2" planks with screws - should I use a 1"
screw, a 3/4", 5/8". I'm trying to determine what size screws to order for
my next project, and to do that I'll need to figure out how deep the screws
should go into the wood. Seems like in the above example 1" screws would be
too long, the risk of the point erupting from the wood is too great. But
5/8" is pretty darn short - barely penetrating the second board.

So, it seems like the answer is easy - 3/4". But before I go and ruin a
perfectly nice project, I figure I'd better ask just in case.

Sometimes the longest possible screw will give the best holding power.
You can take a 1" screw and grind off about 1/16" so it won't blow
through. I still use a regular screwdriver in cases where I need the
greatest possible control, and this sounds like one of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:01:44 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Well in this case I'm installing a 1/2" stiffener board to the backside of a
1" plank surface.

For that scenario, I'd probably use a #8 1-1/4 or 1-3/8 through the
stiffener into the plank. Flat head countersunk if I needed the head
to be flush.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Fastener puzzle Dave99 Metalworking 8 April 24th 08 04:55 AM
Have you seen this fastener? [email protected][_2_] Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 09:15 PM
drywall fastener... [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 13th 07 06:20 PM
supporting a new tile floor- plywood depth, backer board depth? K Ruck Home Repair 7 July 3rd 05 08:16 PM
Fastener for 5/8 MDF baseboard Yc Woodworking 44 April 13th 04 05:11 AM