Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default fastener depth

Eigenvector wrote:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
In general when joining wood, how deep should the fasterners go?
To clarify, if I'm joining two 1/2" planks with screws - should
use a 1" screw, a 3/4", 5/8". I'm trying to determine what size
screws to order for my next project, and to do that I'll need to
figure out how deep the screws should go into the wood.

You should use the longest screws you can find that don't come
out
the other
side. That being said, no matter what screws you use, 1/2" to
1/2"
is going
to be a weak fairly attachment no matter what screws you use. I'd
certainly
use glue in addition to screws and it would help to know where in
your project are you joining 1/2" boards? Maybe it's a location
that can be joined by other means.

1/2" to 1/2" is a hypothetical. The actual project itself will
involve a whole bunch of different sized boards. What I was
interested in hearing, and thanks for the advice - "use the
longest
screws you can find that don't
come out the other side" Glue is definitely going to be used for
all the joints - just so I can minimize usage of screws.

For some reason I had it in my head that it was in fact better to
use the smallest length screws that still joined the boards.

Just remember, the longer the screws the bigger chance of a split
board, pre-drill your holes.

--
Froz...

That's exactly why I thought it was best to use the shortest screws
rather than the longest ones. This is where a good drill press
comes
into play.

As a rule of thumb you want about 1/3 of the screw length going into
the piece that is in contact with the screw head.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)