Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dewalt Miter Saw Question

My 12 inch Dewalt Miter saw is acting up. Sometimes,
the brake doesn't engage right away, and sometimes, it
doesn't start when I pull the trigger. (I have to move
the blade up and down a few times before it will engage.)
Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

Thanks,

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"samson" wrote:

Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

The very fact you feel the need to ask the question, leads me to
believe you know the answer.

Put saw in your vehicle and head for the DeWalt service station.

--
Lew Hodgett
Box 2302

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:36:12 -0500, samson wrote:

My 12 inch Dewalt Miter saw is acting up. Sometimes,
the brake doesn't engage right away, and sometimes, it
doesn't start when I pull the trigger. (I have to move
the blade up and down a few times before it will engage.)
Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

Try changing the brushes.
I'm not sure which model you have but the brushes should be easy to
get at and it's normally pretty obvious where the covers are.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

samson wrote:
My 12 inch Dewalt Miter saw is acting up. Sometimes,
the brake doesn't engage right away, and sometimes, it
doesn't start when I pull the trigger. (I have to move
the blade up and down a few times before it will engage.)
Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

Thanks,

S.

The first thing I'd try is blowing out the switch with an air compressor.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:36:12 -0500, samson wrote:

My 12 inch Dewalt Miter saw is acting up. Sometimes,
the brake doesn't engage right away, and sometimes, it
doesn't start when I pull the trigger. (I have to move
the blade up and down a few times before it will engage.)
Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

Thanks,

S.

It needs servicing from an authorized Dewalt dealer. I suspect a bad
switch. You might want to troubleshoot yourself, look for an exploded
view diagram and keep careful track of parts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Since both issues point towards the switch, instead of spending a lot of
time diagnosing, pay $14 for a new switch and put it in. It took me all of
5 minutes on a job site.

Steve P.
www.stellarbuilders.net

"samson" wrote in message
My 12 inch Dewalt Miter saw is acting up. Sometimes,
the brake doesn't engage right away, and sometimes, it
doesn't start when I pull the trigger. (I have to move
the blade up and down a few times before it will engage.)
Is this a simple fix, or should I be worried?

Thanks,

S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
Since both issues point towards the switch, instead of spending a lot of
time diagnosing, pay $14 for a new switch and put it in. It took me all of
5 minutes on a job site.

Steve P.
www.stellarbuilders.net

That's not a bad idea. I will give that a shot.

Thanks,

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds to me like either the brushes are worn out or the commutator or
armature has a problem. The brake depends on having good contact between the
brushes and commutator. A worn commutator would also cause the starting
issue since you have to turn the blade sometimes in order to get it to start
up.

Check the brushes first, then look down inside the brushholder with a
flashlight. All of the copper segments should look identical (uniform black
tracking is normal). Also, the gaps between the copper segments should be
identical in width. If one of the gaps looks a little wider and rough at the
edges, then you need a new armature.

Doug
"samson" wrote in message
In article ,