joe

Default which twin laser miter saw to buy, porter cable or delta?????

The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=875

thanks

Eide

I think the biggest difference in all miter saws is the ability to get back
to a 90 deg cut without using your square to reset. The better a saw can do
that, the better the saw, in my opinion. I'm sorry to say that I don't know
about either of these in that factor, but to me that would be the first and
most important question. As you said, no difference can be seen, but there
will be differences under the hood.

Good luck
Eide

"joe" wrote in message
The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=875

thanks

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"joe" wrote in message
The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

Same saw....Delta & Porter Cable are the same company....pay an extra $50
for the better name tag if you must LOL.

--
© Jon Down ®

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:57:21 -0500, "P©WÉ®T©©LMAN
²ºº3" wrote:

Same saw....Delta & Porter Cable are the same company....pay an extra $50
for the better name tag if you must LOL.

Take a look at the saws. Same company, not the same saw.

Barry

Joseph Smith

They are pretty much the same saw. Porter Cable, Delta , Devylbus
(spelling?),
Oldham, and Viper all fall under the same parent company. Both saws
have rated equally in the magazine reviews I've seen. Go w/ the
Delta if its cheaper. If your possibly a tool collector I have a family
member who works for PC-DELTA in Jackson, TN. He says most likely
that PC will move out of the miter saw business soon and just focus on
power/hand tools (which is what PC does) and turn over the miters completely
to Delta (the woodworking machinery side).
"joe" wrote in message
The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=875

thanks

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
²ºº3" wrote:

Same saw....Delta & Porter Cable are the same company....pay an extra $50
for the better name tag if you must LOL.

Take a look at the saws. Same company, not the same saw.

Barry

We service them & essentially they are the same saw, a few cosmetic
differences perhaps....all part of Pentair / Porter Cable / Delta past
Rockwell / Beaver

Starting with the two main components 894458 Armature...same in both, 894462
Field...same in both & so on & so on. Different decals perhaps, colors &
plastic identifying parts do not really make them different saws.

--
© Jon Down ®
J.D.Power Tool.

My eBay items currently listed:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=25

Greg G.

joe said:

The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

The Delta 36-255L and the Porter-Cable 3802L are exactly the same saw
except for the decals. The extra $50 gets you a one year warranty
instead of the two year Delta warranty. Go figure...

Greg G.
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:02:28 -0500, "P©WÉ®T©©LMAN
²ºº3" wrote:

We service them & essentially they are the same saw, a few cosmetic
differences perhaps....all part of Pentair / Porter Cable / Delta past
Rockwell / Beaver

Starting with the two main components 894458 Armature...same in both, 894462
Field...same in both & so on & so on. Different decals perhaps, colors &
plastic identifying parts do not really make them different saws.

Maybe some are.

The two that come to my mind:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000223A3/qid=1072873361/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5997910-6893431?v=glance&s=hi
and
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2733

Are quite different, no? Maybe the motor internals are the same, but
they use totally different table mechanisms. I've used both of these
guys and there were serious differences.

Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:25:22 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote:

Maybe some are.

Ah!!

NOW I GET IT! G

The saws I'm thinking of are older, non-laser designs. Thanks
Toolman!

Barry

I couldn't see any difference but it posed an interesting question for
me. I am still using a 9" Delta Rockwell I bought in 1975. Still
works great but been thinking maybe time for an upgrade. Your two
choices fall in line with what I have been thinking about. When did
the 1" arbor hole come along? Dumb me thought everything used the 5/8
arbor still. Come to think about it I guess that saw is the newest
major tool in my shop!

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:01:12 GMT, "joe" wrote:

The porter cable is priced at about $50 more, other than that, I see no
difference. Any opinions???

http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=875

thanks

Steve

SNIP
" The extra $50 gets you a one year warranty
instead of the two year Delta warranty. Go figure."
/SNIP

Isn't that called Tipping the Porter for carrying your Cable?

sorry :-(

OK... Not Really :-)
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1072873361/sr=
1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5997910-6893431?v=glance&s=hi
and
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2733

Are quite different, no? Maybe the motor internals are the same, but
they use totally different table mechanisms. I've used both of these
guys and there were serious differences.

Barry

You are thinking of different older models I think.

But I don't wish to argue....have a great New Year!

--
© Jon Down ®

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
wrote:

Maybe some are.

Ah!!

NOW I GET IT! G

The saws I'm thinking of are older, non-laser designs. Thanks
Toolman!

Barry

That's what I figured....the links featured earlier in this thread however
were to the two that are the same.....even the major table components.

--
© Jon Down ®