Posted to rec.woodworking

Default a.b.p.f., is it dead?

Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

a.b.p.w.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

Yep it's dead for me. Verizon customer, Just checked. But I have been using
Mortz news server. No binaries though, oh well.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message news:FYg9k.44$HY.36@trnddc01...
Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any posts. I've been looking
using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting images these days?

There have been 4 posts on a.b.p.f during June. Most of the recent posts that I have seen there
have also been posted to a.b.p.w

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowell Holmes wrote:
Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

Are you talking about not seeing post to this news group or the binary
groups? This group's traffic have been slightly below normal. If it's
the binaries, your email address indicates you have Verizon for an ISP.
What service are you using to access the binary news groups?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

For those whose ISP is not censoring them, or who have 3rd party nntp
service: "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking"

Still active ... there have been 196 posts in June to date in abpw.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
What service are you using to access the binary news groups?

Agent newsreader

Agent newsreader is not the service, it's just a software program designed
to access an online service.
Or, possibly you're talking about Agent Premium News,
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php which *is* a service and the one I
happen to use. And yes, there's been a number of messages this June posted
in ABPW.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not just Verizon dropped the alt.binaries, I understand Time Warner has done
the same thing.

In the email I got from Verizon, they said that attempting to access the
binaries through third party news services violates their terms of service
as well.

I would be curious to see whether they find a way to block access through
the news services.

Also Comcast is testing service based on download amounts somewhere in TX.

Before I spent any money on a news service, I would confirm that you can get
where you want to go.

Verizon has preserved access to what they call the Big 8.

I wonder if there is a way to get a pix site set up in rec.* somewhere?

"Nova" wrote in message
newsgq9k.55$K%2.32@trnddc02...
Lowell Holmes wrote:
Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any
posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting
images these days?

Are you talking about not seeing post to this news group or the binary
groups? This group's traffic have been slightly below normal. If it's
the binaries, your email address indicates you have Verizon for an ISP.
What service are you using to access the binary news groups?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay R wrote:

In the email I got from Verizon, they said that attempting to access the
binaries through third party news services violates their terms of service
as well.

You must have misread their announcement. They tell you to use a
commercial news service if you wish to access news groups they don't
carry, provided it is legal to do so.

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry, what
are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider. You
may want to check out some options at

http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm.

The content available, posting policies, terms and prices will vary, so
you should select the one that is right for you. If you elect to access
a non-Verizon newsgroup over the Verizon Network, our terms of service
and acceptable use policy will still apply to your use of our Service."

http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...group_06_12_08

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry, what
are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider. You
may want to check out some options at

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.
There is a rather large war going on for your ISP dollar between Verison
and Comcast. I would not hesitate to let Verison know I was switching
to Comcast if they were limiting my newsgroup access, and let them know
why. On the other hand, if no one really cares, why should they provide
something you don't care about...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm.
The content available, posting policies, terms and prices will vary, so
you should select the one that is right for you. If you elect to access
a non-Verizon newsgroup over the Verizon Network, our terms of service
and acceptable use policy will still apply to your use of our Service."

http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...group_06_12_08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Nova wrote:

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry,
what are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider. You
may want to check out some options at

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.

Comcast's free Giganews access is limited to 2GB per month. If you're
interested in binaries, that limit will be hit very quickly.

There is a rather large war going on for your ISP dollar between Verison
and Comcast. I would not hesitate to let Verison know I was switching
to Comcast if they were limiting my newsgroup access, and let them know
why. On the other hand, if no one really cares, why should they provide
something you don't care about...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.
There is a rather large war going on for your ISP dollar between Verison
and Comcast. I would not hesitate to let Verison know I was switching
to Comcast if they were limiting my newsgroup access, and let them know
why.

A. You need to have cable TV to do that. Lots of us do not have cable
TV. I've had DirecTV since 1997. I have DirecTV because my local
Comcast operation's service was unbearable.

B. The way the alt.binaries drop has been sold to the public, I would
not be surprised if Comcast jumps on the bandwagon. Usenet is what?
..00005% of an ISP's access, but the "taking a stand against kiddie porn"
argument will will go far in corporate ISP marketing departments.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
Nova wrote:

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry,
what are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider.
You may want to check out some options at

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.

Comcast's free Giganews access is limited to 2GB per month. If you're
interested in binaries, that limit will be hit very quickly.

I'm VERY interested in binaries and I never hit the limit. Not sure
why, because with the number of binaries I was getting every day, I
should have hit it, but never did. At one time I was looking at
hundreds, possibly thousands of pictures every day, and never a whimper
from Comcast.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.

Comcast's free Giganews access is limited to 2GB per month. If you're
interested in binaries, that limit will be hit very quickly.

I'm VERY interested in binaries and I never hit the limit. Not sure
why, because with the number of binaries I was getting every day, I
should have hit it, but never did. At one time I was looking at
hundreds, possibly thousands of pictures every day, and never a whimper
from Comcast.

A few years ago Verizon also gave up on managing there own newsgroup
service and they contracted with Giganews. There was no download limit
on Giganews' news server through a Verizon account.

A number of different ISP have recently dropped the "alt" groups. I'll
be surprised if Comcast doesn't follow suit.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast,
which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account.
There is a rather large war going on for your ISP dollar between
Verison and Comcast. I would not hesitate to let Verison know I was
switching to Comcast if they were limiting my newsgroup access, and
let them know why.

A. You need to have cable TV to do that. Lots of us do not have cable
TV. I've had DirecTV since 1997. I have DirecTV because my local
Comcast operation's service was unbearable.

Yeah, you can't get Comcast without cable, and, you can't get Verizon TV
and high speed internet without fiber. Verizon Fiber is competing with
Comcast Cable for your TV, Internet and telephone dollar. Sooner or
later they both will probably be knocking down your door to sell you all
this stuff. Lucky me, they have both available where I live right now.
I can't see Either of them dropping a service when under this sort of
competition.

B. The way the alt.binaries drop has been sold to the public, I would
not be surprised if Comcast jumps on the bandwagon. Usenet is what?
.00005% of an ISP's access, but the "taking a stand against kiddie porn"
argument will will go far in corporate ISP marketing departments.

Yes, that is scary, but on the other hand, what percentage of your
internet dollar goes to giganews? I don't know myself, but I bet it's
not much.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f?
alt.binaries.pictures.???
fatso?
flatulance?
f-ups?
free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

--
sm@ug dot ichorfang
at gmail dot com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f?
alt.binaries.pictures.???
fatso?
flatulance?
f-ups?
free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

Given the context, I would suspect "furniture".

The OP might want to consider alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Personally I just got a flickr account (it's free if you don't want to
be able to display full 8 megapixel images).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Smaug Ichorfang wrote in news:Xns9ACFA04CD560goblinbiter@
207.115.33.102:

Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f?
alt.binaries.pictures.???
fatso?
flatulance?
f-ups?
free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

Maybe ....furniture

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f?
alt.binaries.pictures.???
fatso?
flatulance?
f-ups?
free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

Given the context, I would suspect "furniture".

The OP might want to consider alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Personally I just got a flickr account (it's free if you don't want to
be able to display full 8 megapixel images).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

The OP realizes his mistake. :-)

It is a.b.p.w.

I'm still upset about the change and probably will change providers. I'm
curious about EarthLink satellite service. I loose Verizon every time it
thunders anyway. Verizon's tech support technicians(?) are not very
knowledgeable. I suppose if I worked all night, I wouldn't be either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

a.b.p.f was/is alt.binaries.fun a cartoon specific site that is just
that. Seems to be a limited number of posters that had/have humorous
pictures to post

a.b.i.f. ,is a similar site. A group of posters that delve into
morphing/face changing and some darn funny cartoons (at times). These folks
have T-shirts and a map of where all the posters live,. conus and otherwise.
Never posted to it, but used to check in daily to see the new
cartoon/pictures, plus some neat background pics.

Bill

J. Clarke" wrote in message
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f?
alt.binaries.pictures.???
fatso?
flatulance?
f-ups?
free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

Given the context, I would suspect "furniture".

The OP might want to consider alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Personally I just got a flickr account (it's free if you don't want to
be able to display full 8 megapixel images).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Yeah, you can't get Comcast without cable, and, you can't get Verizon TV
and high speed internet without fiber. Verizon Fiber is competing with
Comcast Cable for your TV, Internet and telephone dollar. Sooner or
later they both will probably be knocking down your door to sell you all
this stuff. Lucky me, they have both available where I live right now.
I can't see Either of them dropping a service when under this sort of
competition.

Comcast has been knocking (to get me back) on my door for 10 years. I
didn't say I _couldn't_ get cable! G

I _had_ cable, and ditched it 10 years ago for DirecTV.

I do have very good, very dependable, DSL, and don't see alt.binaries
access being worthy enough to change providers. I'd bet most broadband
customers will see it in a similar light.

I won't ever see FIOS, as I'm not in Verizon wireline territory, but I
will see at&t UVerse. Someday... My neighbors already have it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

The OP realizes his mistake. :-)

It is a.b.p.w.

I'm still upset about the change and probably will change providers.
I'm curious about EarthLink satellite service. I loose Verizon every
time it thunders anyway. Verizon's tech support technicians(?) are not
very knowledgeable. I suppose if I worked all night, I wouldn't be
either.

Satellite suffers from terrible latency. What that means (to the
layman) is that you click on a link, then wait 1/2 second for the page
to even begin loading. That compounds quickly, and just doesn't feel
"fast."

You're better off with another Usenet provider. Thankfully, you don't
have to stick to Verizon's services for Usenet. (Go ahead and call
Verizon and tell them you don't want to pay for a service they've made
unusable for you. Maybe you'll get a few bucks off your internet,
probably not.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
SNIP

You're better off with another Usenet provider. Thankfully, you don't
have to stick to Verizon's services for Usenet. (Go ahead and call
Verizon and tell them you don't want to pay for a service they've made
unusable for you. Maybe you'll get a few bucks off your internet,
probably not.)

Puckdropper
--

My only viable alternative is Comcast. That doesn't warm the cockles of my
heart.

I wouldn't be as upset, but I'm having connectivity problems that Verizon
can't or will not fix.
I'm on the verge of backing up my hard drive and re-formatting my hard drive
to see if that helps. It's been over a year since I did that. After that, if
I still have connectivity issues, I will change isp. Unfortunately, I am
captive to Verizon for dsl. :-)

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

[...]

There may be a few other options for Internet... I've heard of land-based
wireless where you point a transmitter at a tower atop a grain elevator
or something and it's faster than dialup and not so high latency as
Satellite. I've done no research in to them, though.

Good luck, spotty fast internet is worse than reliable slow internet.

Puckdropper

Dead dog? Brian Henderson Woodworking 44 February 22nd 06 03:58 AM
NEC VN-36 VCR dead.. Mike Berger Electronics Repair 0 February 3rd 06 03:26 PM
NEC VN-36 VCR dead.. Mark D. Zacharias Electronics Repair 0 February 3rd 06 11:29 AM
Panasonic G520 mobile phone - dead battery or dead phone? Just Allan Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 05 01:27 PM