Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T George Carlin

It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 1:42 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Yup, the old white robed reaper of the 70's and 80's claims another.
I remember when he thought his heart attack from his abuses was so
funny that he worked it into his act. When the second one came along,
it was a life style changer.

And so it is with a good friend of mine. He had a lot more fun than
he should have from the sixties until about the late 80s when he had
his kid. THAT changed his life on the spot.

But he can't undo what he did for so long. He has had a couple of
minor strokes, but luckily as of now they can control his problems
with pills.

He sure has a lot of funny stories, though.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:42:24 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

Another one that will be missed...
I understood his humor so well that I just assumed that I was as crazy as he
was..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is a question for Mac:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is security in your part of Baja?

Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Drug wars will do that.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig Pig is offline

I saw him about 7 years ago in Charlotte NC, and he did 10 minutes on
the topic of enemas, that made me laugh so hard for so long my stomach
hurt for days. He started with the thought about the guy who invented
them, and how he got his buddy to "test" the concept, and went on from
there.

I'll miss his viewpoint, I'll miss the man.....

Pig

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 2:42*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

That was one very creative and funny man. When he turned over rocks,
he'd see the funny ****. A true genius IMHO.
I went to see him every chance I had, and living between Detroit and
Toronto, that was often.
One show at Hamilton Place still stands out. He walked on, stood there
for a moment and said: "How the **** are you doing?" The house came
down! A standing O, and he hadn't started yet.
Sad that he's gone.
Sadder yet, is that he's remembered by 'The Seven Words' which was far
from his funniest moments.
Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:18:08 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

This is a question for Mac:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is security in your part of Baja?

Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Drug wars will do that.

Lew

TJ sucks, Lew..
It's pretty much like Brownsville, IMO, created by and for gringos looking for a
"good time"..
( dos pesos? She gets the pesos, you get the dose)
In most of the border towns, trouble is easy to find and if you're in the wrong
place, it will find you.. Especially if you look like a "rich" gringo...
For most people, other than service folks on weekend passes and kids on spring
break, you'd never be in one of those "wrong places"

I'm in San Felipe, about 120 miles south of the California border..
As far as living here, security is fine, though I'm not sure we need it..
We're in a huge development that has several gates off of the main highway, and
pretty good security folks on them 24/7..

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel safer in
San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..

Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the local paper
listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings, etc. a day..

Last week in San Felipe, 4 guys robbed the Baja version of a 7-11 and
yesterday's paper had the whole front page filled with the story and pictures of
the bad guys, police chief, etc.. It was big news..
I heard that there was a bank robbery in town, but that was years before we got
here..

The snow bird season is over here as the heat and humidity set in, but they've
been selling wristbands and stuff for months for the 4th of July weekend..
We usually get several hundred kids down for that, as well as Spring break..
Lots of tickets written for minor stuff that kids do anywhere but I've never
heard anything about a kidnapping, serious injury or anything like that..

Sorry for the long post.. Must have been that 3rd cup of coffee..

Come on down, it's wonderful here!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:24:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

And Gallagher, if you can separate the brilliant mind from the idiot that
smashes watermelons.. (and got very well paid to do that)

My kids grew up on his earlier videos, especially the ones where he talked about
the English language..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

****.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote

****.

****.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Swingman" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

****.

****.

****.
Posted to rec.woodworking

At the age of 20, in about the middle of an "altered state of
consciousness", while on a Munchies Run to the nearby 7-11, I
encountered a very old man I'd gotten to know playing frisbee. The fact
that a guy who'd survived, and apparently enjoyed, his100 years so far
(he carried an old expired drivers license to verify his age), played
frisbee with a bunch of college students made him a fixture in the
neighborhood.

Anyway, he was having trouble distinguishing between the buttermilk and
regular milk cartons (non-fat, low fat, reduced fat, 2% and "Vitamin D
Enriched" hadn't been invented yet - AND 7-11s carried buttermilk back
then). He asked me to pick out the buttermilk for him, which I did.

"Thanks. You're a good kid." - he said, then leaned in and said in a
conspiratorial voice - "I'm gonna tell you something you won't
understand at your age."

I waited for Words of Widsom, an significant insight from a man who no
doubt had seen and done a lot of things in a hundred years.

"Life is absurd you know?" he said looking me right in the eye - just a
hint of a smile on his face.

Given the perceived experiences of my past few hours I whispered in his
ear "I know." and smiled back at him.

He held me at arms length, hands on my shoulders, and studied my face
and looked in my eyes for what seemed like hours. Then he stepped back,
milk carton in hand, smiled again and said "You know, I think maybe you
do." and walked out of the store.

And soon after The Draft, and A JOB, and a wife, and a son, and a
parent's death, and . . ., the things of Adulthood shoved that little
bit of insight WAY to the back burner.

But Carlin somehow managed avoid
"When I was a child I played with toys, but then I became a man and I
put away my childish things."

He saw the absurdity in many of the things we do and allow to be done TO
us, and, with humor, reminded us of just how absurd (so clearly
unreasonable as to be laughable or ridiculous) life is.

Jon Stewart - here's the torch. Try not to burn yourself - out.

R.I.P. George - ya done good.

charlie b

ps. the old man's secret of longevity
1. a shot of decent to very good bourbon a day
2. avoid marriage ; )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 1:27*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Swingman" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

****.

****.

****.

****

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway.

A lot of people are unaware that "Tim Conway" is actually" "Tom
Conway" from Chagrin Falls, a small town about 30 miles SE of
Cleveland, OH.

When he came to SoCal, "Tom Conway", the actor, was already here, thus
the name change.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
A lot of people are unaware that "Tim Conway" is actually" "Tom
Conway" from Chagrin Falls, ...

And quite a lot more probably really don't care...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

He was one of my top five favorites.

He's also stood the test of time. RIP!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:45:58 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Jon Stewart - here's the torch. Try not to burn yourself - out.

Stewart is GREAT!

But I like Colbert better... G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

George will indeed be missed.
I grew up listening to George and Bill Cosby among others.

If you really want to hear some outrageous comedy, tune in when Robin
Williams and Jonathan Winters are on the same stage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote:

TJ sucks, Lew..

These days, it is a ghost town.

It's pretty much like Brownsville, IMO, created by and for gringos
looking for a
"good time"..

So be it, but today it qualifies as a "killing field", much the same
as any US slum with a drug problem and a turf war.

In most of the border towns, trouble is easy to find and if you're
in the wrong
place, it will find you.. Especially if you look like a "rich"
gringo...
For most people, other than service folks on weekend passes and kids
on spring
break, you'd never be in one of those "wrong places"

That's been SOP for ever, but things have escaluated to include car
jacking and kidnapping.

I'm in San Felipe, about 120 miles south of the California border..
As far as living here, security is fine, though I'm not sure we need
it..
We're in a huge development that has several gates off of the main
highway, and
pretty good security folks on them 24/7..

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel
safer in
San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..

Sounds like you are pretty well insulated from the rest of Mexico.

Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the
local paper
listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings, etc. a day..

Same kind of reports of local violence show up on TV news reports here
in L/A, but now they are starting to include the drug wars in Mexico
since there is a large Latino population in SoCal.

Travel warnings are being issued to leave before dark, travel in
groups, etc.

It's a shame these turf wars, fueled by US drug money, are having such
a harmful effect, but until Mexican gov't can get a handle on things,
Mexican tourism is going to continue to suffer.

Looks like you are in pretty good shape.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

Hate to hear that. Just recently thinking about him or really trying
to remember the routine about a place for "your stuff". Since we are
considering moving, I've been on a rant lately about getting rid of a
large part of our "stuff". Made me think about GC.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Swingman"
wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote

****.

****.

****.

********

or

********

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 1:45*pm, charlieb wrote:
.

Jon Stewart - here's the torch. *Try not to burn yourself - out.

He can wish! Stewart isn't even in the same league as Carlin. Colbert
wore really thin, really quickly.
Stewart and Colbert totally lack that 'eye' for the funny.
Don't get me wrong, I do get my chuckles from those guys as they hit
on the easy marks and obvious, like Hillary's pantsuits. Even
Letterman and Leno have the odd good one...

My kind of comedian, is one that finds funny stuff where there isn't
any. Old Cosby was like that. Pryor in his prime. Steve Martin even
had 'it' for a little while. Steven Wright still does.
Some say funny things, some say things funny. Some encompass both.
Carlin said funny stuff in a funny way. A rare combo.
Richard Jeni had 'it' as well.
One guy who cracks me up is Gary Valentine. At least his stand-up
routine does. I haven't seen his TV show, so I can't comment on his
ability to carry a sit-com.
Totally un-funny people include Bob Hope, Joan Rivers , Phyllis
Diller, Whoopi Goldberg etc.

Carlin was hilarious in spite of his rude choice of words. He used
them like a fluorescent paint on a timid canvas. A form of
punctuation.

It is just starting to sink in that there will never be any more off-
the-wall observations about anything from him... ever again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 4:04*pm, "HDRDTD" wrote:

If you really want to hear some outrageous comedy, tune in when Robin
Williams and Jonathan Winters are on the same stage.

Outrageous barely touches that combo. Winters being an absolute
genius.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

Hate to hear that. *Just recently thinking about him or really trying
to remember the routine about a place for "your stuff". *Since we are
considering moving, I've been on a rant lately about getting rid of a
large part of our "stuff". *Made me think about GC.

Frank

The wake is on...

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=3687694
Posted to rec.woodworking

My kind of comedian, is one that finds funny stuff where there isn't
any. Old Cosby was like that. Pryor in his prime. Steve Martin even
had 'it' for a little while. Steven Wright still does.
Some say funny things, some say things funny. Some encompass both.
Carlin said funny stuff in a funny way. A rare combo.
Richard Jeni had 'it' as well.

I put Robin Williams in that category, too. And Seinfeld. And I guess you
either like him or hate him, but I think Bill Maher also has "it." Robert
Klein once had it, but he may have lost it.

The funniest live performance I ever saw was Jeni.

Totally un-funny people include Bob Hope, Joan Rivers , Phyllis
Diller, Whoopi Goldberg etc.

What? No Jerry Lewis? Sometimes I think even Carrot Top is funnier than
him.

The bottom line is Carlin was as good as it gets. He'll be missed.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:18:08 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

This is a question for Mac:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is security in your part of Baja?

Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Drug wars will do that.

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel safer
in San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..

Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the local
paper listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings, etc. a day..

Remember having to spend about 3 months in Fresno on a semi large job. The
one thing I will never forget, a Security Guard at every entrance to almost
every retail business. Now why would you need one at a restaurants? The
other thing I noticed was a large number of Illegal Aliens and a very dirty
city. I now commonly refer to Fresno as the armpit of California along with
Santa Ana.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 3:39 pm, Robatoy wrote:

He can wish! Stewart isn't even in the same league as Carlin. Colbert
wore really thin, really quickly.
Stewart and Colbert totally lack that 'eye' for the funny.
Don't get me wrong, I do get my chuckles from those guys as they hit
on the easy marks and obvious, like Hillary's pantsuits.

Today's comedians make their bones by making fun of people. When
certain comedians attack certain politicians, the war whoops start up
in the audience they go into overdrive.

As long as they attack someone up the food chain, like an unknown
comedienne attacking a stupid starlit for showing her box in public,
they are funny. You are not funny if you attack someone that is less
fortunate unless you are going for he "irreverant" or "no boundaries"
audience. Not nearly as successful.

Some of the people the make fun of might deserve it, but the comedians
that get the most mileage are the ones that cut the deepest against
different people or ethnic groups like Chris Rock, etc.

Most of today's are one note sambas, not the least bit clever, in turn
being not the least bit funny. They write only about certain subjects
in particular about their families, their drug problems, or
politicians and that is the depth of their writing skills. Many of
today's comics don't even write their own material. You KNEW when you
were listening to Carlin. Who else could be funny about "stuff"?

Carlin was different. He was a click off of living in our dimension,
and questioned everything in a sly way. He knocked me over with his
routine that started "do you ever wonder what your dog REALLY does
when you aren't there? Think about it... why is he always so happy...
what was he doing? How many times can he patrol the yard?"

It was his delivery.

His was an observational humor, perfected and imitated by almost
comediennes at least some time (if not all the time) in their career.
That guy pioneered dropping a line, and pausing just enough time for
us to catch up.

It is just starting to sink in that there will never be any more off-
the-wall observations about anything from him... ever again.

Never been a better, more clever presenter of simple human foibles or
idiosyncrasies and most likely never will be.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
mac davis wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:18:08 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

This is a question for Mac:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is security in your part of Baja?

Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Drug wars will do that.

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I
feel safer in San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the
day..

Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the
local paper listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings,
etc. a day..

Remember having to spend about 3 months in Fresno on a semi large
job. The one thing I will never forget, a Security Guard at every
entrance to almost every retail business. Now why would you need
one at a restaurants? The other thing I noticed was a large number
of Illegal Aliens and a very dirty city. I now commonly refer to
Fresno as the armpit of California along with Santa Ana.

IIRC, Fresno is the chart topper in California for car theft and right up
there
for speed labs. That plus the agricultural smog and the heat....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 6:11*pm, "
wrote:

Never been a better, more clever presenter of simple human foibles or
idiosyncrasies and most likely never will be.

Robert

Amen, brother, AAAmen!

"We are sorry to interrupt this message, we are going live to McCain's
proposals of going green." (A right-winger going green!!)

"Get back here, George!! We are not done here yet!!!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:01:22 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

"Why do they put an expiration date on sour cream? What's it gonna do -- go
fresh?"

The drivers... You, the faster maniacs and slower morons! G

**
http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:00:56 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

For my money, two (2) of the funniest guys working today are Larry,
the cable guy, and Jeff Foxworthy.

Even though he's malicious, I really like Ron White.

Other funny new guys Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Pablo Francisco...

I would have loved to see if Mitch Hedberg had staying power.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

Even though he's malicious, I really like Ron White.

Other funny new guys Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Pablo Francisco...

I would have loved to see if Mitch Hedberg had staying power.

I must be living in another world, never heard of any of them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For my money, two (2) of the funniest guys working today are Larry,
the cable guy, and Jeff Foxworthy.

Even though he's malicious, I really like Ron White.

Other funny new guys Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Pablo Francisco...

I would have loved to see if Mitch Hedberg had staying power.

Lewis Black tops my short list.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:04:27 -0700, evodawg wrote:

I remember that one!! He in my book was one of the top 10 funniest of all
time comic's. I like this one "Why do you Park on a Driveway and Drive on
a Parkway"? Making fun of the English Language was his specialty.

I thought that was a Gallagher line...
Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article IWV7k.439$cv5.17@trnddc01, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

For my money, two (2) of the funniest guys working today are Larry,
the cable guy, and Jeff Foxworthy.

Their stuff is not malicious, but it is funny, at least to me.

Foxworthy cracks me up. Especially when he starts talking about his redneck
relatives Uncle Doug and Aunt Rose.

My wife's name is Rose.

And some of that "you might be a redneck if ---" stuff hits mighty close to
home, which just adds to the amusement:
* own more pairs of boots than sneakers - check
* know how to milk a goat - check
* wife can field-dress a deer - check

ping: George mac davis Woodturning 2 January 22nd 06 05:37 PM
I did a bad ting George RayV Woodworking 61 August 19th 05 08:22 PM
thanks, George! gene Home Repair 32 July 28th 05 08:44 AM