Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T George Carlin

"mac davis" wrote:

I thought that was a Gallagher line...
Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"

Here in L/A, it is quite common to have a 1st generation immigrant
operating a retail shoe store, with a sign high up on a pole, out
front reading:

"Shoe on sale".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:30:35 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I'm in San Felipe, about 120 miles south of the California border..
As far as living here, security is fine, though I'm not sure we need
it..
We're in a huge development that has several gates off of the main
highway, and
pretty good security folks on them 24/7..

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel
safer in
San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..

Sounds like you are pretty well insulated from the rest of Mexico.

Yeah, Baja is almost like it's own country... I don't know a lot about the
mainland, but a lot of bad things happen there and people tend to lump Baja in
with "Mexico"..
Sort of thinking that the US sucks because of one bad city..

Same kind of reports of local violence show up on TV news reports here
in L/A, but now they are starting to include the drug wars in Mexico
since there is a large Latino population in SoCal.

They don't put up with as much here.. (my area of Baja)
You can tell when it's a drug bust, because instead of cops, the officers are
agents wearing ski masks and carrying heavy weapons..
They busted one idiot that was wanted on the mainland and registered as a driver
in the Baja 500..DUH..

Travel warnings are being issued to leave before dark, travel in groups, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone that had any problems, but I'm on the Sea of Cortez
side of Baja..
We try not to travel the highway after dark, but that's more of a safety issue..
A lot of vehicles here don't have lights and there are a LOT of very slow
drivers..

It's a shame these turf wars, fueled by US drug money, are having such
a harmful effect, but until Mexican gov't can get a handle on things,
Mexican tourism is going to continue to suffer.

Looks like you are in pretty good shape.

Yeah, it seems like it... We were out in the courtyard Friday night, watching
the line of headlights coming into town.. Lots of cars coming for the weekend..

We're sort of unique here because along with all the visitors from the States,
this is a major vacation spot for the Mexican people living in more urban area
like Mexicali..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:58:47 -0700, evodawg wrote:

Remember having to spend about 3 months in Fresno on a semi large job. The
one thing I will never forget, a Security Guard at every entrance to almost
every retail business. Now why would you need one at a restaurants? The
other thing I noticed was a large number of Illegal Aliens and a very dirty
city. I now commonly refer to Fresno as the armpit of California along with
Santa Ana.

Rich

Yep.. we actually lived in Clovis, near Fresno..
and we avoided Fresno whenever possible..

The illegal's are mostly hired by ag folks, which doesn't help the economy but
might be a necessary evil..

We had to jump through a LOT of hoops to move here, for sure..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:31:54 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

IIRC, Fresno is the chart topper in California for car theft and right up
there
for speed labs. That plus the agricultural smog and the heat....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

I think it's also like #2 or 3 in the US for red light runners and related
fatalities..

I sure feel safer here!

Also, most of my big tools are in an open carport, and I haven't lost as much as
a screwdriver in 2 years..
In Fresno, the TS and all the other stuff would be gone an a few hours..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote:

Yeah, Baja is almost like it's own country... I don't know a lot
about the
mainland, but a lot of bad things happen there and people tend to
lump Baja in
with "Mexico"..
Sort of thinking that the US sucks because of one bad city..

As long as the drug cartels don't want to have a turf war over your
part of Baja, things should be quiet.

They don't put up with as much here.. (my area of Baja)
You can tell when it's a drug bust, because instead of cops, the
officers are
agents wearing ski masks and carrying heavy weapons..
They busted one idiot that was wanted on the mainland and registered
as a driver
in the Baja 500..DUH..

Been getting reports of Mexican gov't drug enforcement leaders being
executed with automatic weapons fire, including entering the house and
killing all in it.

We try not to travel the highway after dark, but that's more of a
safety issue..
A lot of vehicles here don't have lights and there are a LOT of very
slow
drivers..

Can relate.

We're sort of unique here because along with all the visitors from
the States,
this is a major vacation spot for the Mexican people living in more
urban area
like Mexicali..

There is safety in numbers, or so I'm told.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"mac davis" wrote:

I thought that was a Gallagher line...
Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"

Here in L/A, it is quite common to have a 1st generation immigrant
operating a retail shoe store, with a sign high up on a pole, out
front reading:

"Shoe on sale".

Lew

I guess you pay full price for the other one, huh???

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:50:18 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote:

Even though he's malicious, I really like Ron White.

Other funny new guys Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Pablo Francisco...

I would have loved to see if Mitch Hedberg had staying power.

I must be living in another world, never heard of any of them.

Lew

Comedy Central & TiVO...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:21:06 -0500, "Dave in Houston"
wrote:

Lewis Black tops my short list.

I like him too!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lewis Black tops my short list.

I like him too!

I like Lewis Black also. My wife, who doesn't like a lot of comedians, loves
both George Carlin and Lewis Black.

Two things about Lewis Black I find funny. The first is simply the
outrageous rants he does. Great stuff. The other thing is when he gets to
the puch line, he holds up his little, tiny hands and waves those little,
tiny fingers around. It just puncuates the rant very well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:14:07 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Two things about Lewis Black I find funny. The first is simply the
outrageous rants he does. Great stuff.

A few years ago, I went to see him live. Lewis had a terrible cold,
or possibly the flu. To his credit he put on a fantastic, full length
show.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 9:13 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"mac davis" wrote:
I thought that was a Gallagher line...
Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"

Here in L/A, it is quite common to have a 1st generation immigrant
operating a retail shoe store, with a sign high up on a pole, out
front reading:

"Shoe on sale".

Lew

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been
in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that
said, "Plants 4 Sail".

Made me think I was on-line for a second.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:51:58 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been
in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that
said, "Plants 4 Sail".

Made me think I was on-line for a second.

We have a local restaurant who proudly proclaims "We Delivery"!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been
in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that
said, "Plants 4 Sail".

Made me think I was on-line for a second.

We have a local restaurant who proudly proclaims "We Delivery"!

Printed, as an item, on a menu in a Queen Street restaurant in
Toronto:

Peeking Duck

That one always quacked me up...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been
in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that
said, "Plants 4 Sail".

Made me think I was on-line for a second.

We have a local restaurant who proudly proclaims "We Delivery"!

Printed, as an item, on a menu in a Queen Street restaurant in
Toronto:

Peeking Duck

That one always quacked me up...
********

Is that like a voyeuristic duck?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been
in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that
said, "Plants 4 Sail".

Made me think I was on-line for a second.

We have a local restaurant who proudly proclaims "We Delivery"!

Printed, as an item, on a menu in a Queen Street restaurant in
Toronto:

Peeking Duck

That one always quacked me up...
********

Is that like a voyeuristic duck?

I always thought that the duck would be peeking at you from behind a
ball of mashed potatoes..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:42:24 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

I've enjoyed this thread. Somebody mentioned thinking they were as
sick as George. His "****" was funny!

Not a single person mention Red Fox or even Lenny Bruce sp.

My friend tells me about Red Fox in late '70's (?), Las Vegas. Red
walks on center stage; looks at a women in the the front row, "Cross
your legs bitch, your pussy stinks!."

Story is, he never got any kinder...He went from there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed
in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

I've enjoyed this thread. Somebody mentioned thinking they were as
sick as George. His "****" was funny!

Not a single person mention Red Fox or even Lenny Bruce sp.

My friend tells me about Red Fox in late '70's (?), Las Vegas. Red
walks on center stage; looks at a women in the the front row, "Cross
your legs bitch, your pussy stinks!."

Story is, he never got any kinder...He went from there.

Insult humor is easy, and not funny if you are close to the person
insulted. I disliked Redd Fox and Don Rickles both. Guys like that in
other venues just got smacked in the mouth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Oren" wrote in message
I've enjoyed this thread. Somebody mentioned thinking they were as
sick as George. His "****" was funny!

Not a single person mention Red Fox or even Lenny Bruce sp.

My friend tells me about Red Fox in late '70's (?), Las Vegas. Red
walks on center stage; looks at a women in the the front row, "Cross
your legs bitch, your pussy stinks!."

Story is, he never got any kinder...He went from there.

Carlin made fun of words, government, the establishment and the like. The
comedians that make fun of individual people are not very funny. Don
Rickles comes to mind.

Robin Williams can be very funny but I turned off one of his HBO special
after about five minutes. All he did was grab his crotch and use the "f"
word. He is more talented than that and seemed to be pandering to a young
audience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
I've enjoyed this thread. Somebody mentioned thinking they were as
sick as George. His "****" was funny!

Not a single person mention Red Fox or even Lenny Bruce sp.

My friend tells me about Red Fox in late '70's (?), Las Vegas. Red
walks on center stage; looks at a women in the the front row, "Cross
your legs bitch, your pussy stinks!."

Story is, he never got any kinder...He went from there.

Carlin made fun of words, government, the establishment and the like. The
comedians that make fun of individual people are not very funny. Don
Rickles comes to mind.

Robin Williams can be very funny but I turned off one of his HBO special
after about five minutes. All he did was grab his crotch and use the "f"
word. He is more talented than that and seemed to be pandering to a young
audience.

Eddie Murphy was the same way. Watching one of his HBO specials, I was
struck by the delivery. He would tell a raunchy joke, look at the audience
with a look like a little kid who just said something "naughty" in front of
adults, then, when the audience laughed, changed the look to "OK, they
accepted that one, let's see if I can get away with something a little
worse" and then proceed to tell something even more offensive, again,
followed by that same, "I just said @#$% in front of Mom, is she going to
slap me now?" look. It went on that way through the entire delivery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:41:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

BTW, Saturday Night Live will re-air the first show George Carlin
hosted, tomorrow night (6/28/08)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:41:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

BTW, Saturday Night Live will re-air the first show George Carlin
hosted, tomorrow night (6/28/08)

Thanks. The DVR has been set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lewis Black tops my short list.

I like him too!

I like Lewis Black also. My wife, who doesn't like a lot of comedians, loves
both George Carlin and Lewis Black.

Two things about Lewis Black I find funny. The first is simply the
outrageous rants he does. Great stuff. The other thing is when he gets to
the puch line, he holds up his little, tiny hands and waves those little,
tiny fingers around. It just puncuates the rant very well.

He's 'air strangling'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

ping: George mac davis Woodturning 2 January 22nd 06 05:37 PM
I did a bad ting George RayV Woodworking 61 August 19th 05 08:22 PM
thanks, George! gene Home Repair 32 July 28th 05 08:44 AM