Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Seeking a Special Chop or Cut-Off Saw

The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:57:09 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

http://www.doringer.com/products.htm
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 4:57 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

generic term is a 'cold saw'

$1300
http://www.drillspot.com/products/56...Bench_Cold_Saw

$2700
http://www.mile-x.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=979

$2900
http://www.bii1.com/coldsaws/275m.htm
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=6879

Dave
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

http://www.doringer.com/products.htm

Yowza- $5000 for the base model (but its a 14 inch, larger than the
ones I posted)

Dave
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Joe,
Cold saws have been around for a while. Not familiar with the specific
one referred to.

You can also do the aluminum/steel cutting just by changing the blade.
These were really a big deal a few years ago. google for aluminum
chopsaw/skilsaw? I did a quick search and couldn't find the really
popular one. Aluminator is one trade name.

The one I remember a few years ago, they were using a simple hand
skilsaw, with this wicked blade, and ripping through 1/4" & thicker
aluminum plate like hard butter. It was pretty amazing. they were called
shark, alumashark, raptor, something et...

ca

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Jun 20, 4:57 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or
$2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

generic term is a 'cold saw'

$1300
http://www.drillspot.com/products/56...Bench_Cold_Saw

$2700
http://www.mile-x.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=979

$2900
http://www.bii1.com/coldsaws/275m.htm
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=6879

Dave

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

$275 !!! Although I have yet to meet a person who bought and used one. Note
no reviews yet...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or
$2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Joe,
You are talking about a cold saw. The blade turns between 30 to 80 rpm or
so. It is really a milling operation. The cut is very smooth and can be
virtually burr free. I've owned 2 SOCOs, a Taiwanese saw but were quite
good quality. The first was auto feed. I once cut 100 pieces of 1-5/8"
cold rolled steel with it, and the machinist measured every one, because he
couldn't believe a saw could hold +- 0.001" over 100 pieces!

The second one was a manual machine with a swivel vice and I cut mostly
aluminum and stainless.

To cut a wide range of materials requires at least 3 different blade
pitches. Too fine and the chip rolls up in the gullet, seizes, and BANG the
blade shatters! Too coarse and the teeth get broken off easily. Blades
cost about $90 but get resharpened for $10 a pop. After they have been
sharpened maybe 10 times they will grind off all the teeth and cut all new
ones, costs about $20 extra. So the blades last a really long time.

A dull blade can shatter as well. For production you really want 9 blades,
3 of each pitch. One goes in the saw, one is a spare, and one is out
getting sharpened from each pitch set. This way you are never down.

Cold saws are great. In my case I used it to eliminate the machining of
both ends of round and rectangular parts by cutting to exact size with a
beautiful finish.

If you have any questions, email me.

Gary H. Lucas

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Scotchman makes a nice cold saw. I have one I use on aluminum, which
works fantastically. I don't cut steel. Scotchman is American made.

http://www.scotchman.com/
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Scotchman makes a nice cold saw. I have one I use on aluminum, which
works fantastically. I don't cut steel. Scotchman is American made.

http://www.scotchman.com/

Is Scotchman the same as Thomas?

Thomas makes a beautiful one, centering vise, 2 speed: slow and slower.
Pricey, even used. Very heavy, nice to work with. Uses the weight of the
motor head to drive through the work, with a arbor-press like handle to
lift, or apply more force.
Blades are pricey as well, $30+ just to have sharpened.

For thinner alum bar or tube, a regular chop saw + wax works well. or RAS.
Can also use on thicker stuff, if you're careful.

There's another kind of saw, like a chop saw on effing steroids, pneumatic
(iirc), that will cut through 3" bar alum in seconds, using carbide blades
and high-velocity water mist. Sort of unnerving to use, tho, it's so
ferocious--and loud, even with muffs.
--
------

Sodomized by Congress, butt again...
But, Obama at least took me to the hospital!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 1:57 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
The other day, some cable TV show about trucks (I think) had this new low
RPM, no dust cut-off saw that also allowed miter cuts in steel. I can't
remember the name, but I remember it costing something like $2000 or $2500.

Anyone see the show or know of this tool?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

You want a cold saw. I'm partial to the Scotchman ones. We used to
use a regular woodworking miter saw with a stock fine tooth carbide
blade to cut aluminum extrusions, but after someone used too fast a
feed and sent a couple saw teeth flying into the wall, we finally
looked into getting one. They basically work like a large slitting
saw in a milling machine.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 02:41:00 GMT, "Gary H. Lucas"
wrote:

[...]

You need to vary the RPM to get the best SFM for the
materials too. One RPM (& saw diameter) does not
fit all (well). Consider cutting fluids too. Is it designed
for wet?
Carbide tools?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:05:15 -0400, "Proctologically Violated®©"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

A controlled programmable *variable* feedrate might
be nice too.
--
Cliff

Chop saw stryped[_2_] Metalworking 3 April 17th 08 05:47 AM
Chop! Chop! Weatherlawyer UK diy 10 July 22nd 06 04:50 PM
Seeking advice on exotic woods for a special project crashix Woodworking 10 December 7th 05 03:47 AM
Best chop saw, without any slop Tim Woodworking 14 January 27th 05 07:17 PM
miter saw chop saw U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles Woodworking 0 December 13th 04 03:37 PM