Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Will this work for workshop flooring?

Hey all,
I want your advice on something. I just got a 16x24 workshop built
and I'm trying to decide what to do with the floor. The floor right
now is 3/4 treated plywood. It is not T&G much to my dismay. I
assumed it would be so I didn't ask but it is not. Anyway, I went to
the borg the other day looking at flooring options. I wanted to use
the VCT tiles but the guy there told me the shrinking and expansion
would be too much for the VCT. One problem I definitely have to
account for is moisture. Right now, I can see the ground through
small spaces between the plywood. Here's what I was thinking and what
I would like your thoughts on. I thought that I might put down some
plastic as a moisture barrier then make my own floating floor by
laying down 4'x8' 1/4" masonite or mdf which would be nice and smooth
then hold that all together with the VCT tiles, maybe even tape the
masonite together but not attaching it to the plywood flooring so it
"floats". Is this a dumb idea?

My other possible option is to put down the moisture barrier then
install a laminate floating floor. There is a local store that has
6mm oak laminate flooring on sale for $0.69 sq/ft. I've read in other
posts that it can be slick with saw dust but what about putting some
poly on it then throwing the non-slip sand additive that is used in
garage floor paint to give it a little grip. It would certainly look
really nice in my workshop!

Another option...if I caulk/seal the spaces between the plywood could
I use the rustoleum 2 part epoxy garage floor paint? I still worry
about moisture with this option.

I have a limited amount of $ left for my shop so I'm trying to do
something that will work but not cost $1000 dollars. Any advice would
be appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

Flooring at work R D S UK diy 1 June 17th 07 11:19 PM
Workshop Temperature/Workshop Heat Unquestionably Confused Woodworking 1 February 20th 05 06:34 PM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
Workshop Wiring - Prep work before Electrician jonni UK diy 26 July 19th 04 08:48 AM