David Babcock

Default Along the old tool line

My father-in-law just gave me an older Rockwell/Delta drill press circa
1962, dirty, greasy, in terrible shape. But clean, and serviced it promises
to do great work for another 40 years, I hope.
Pictures uncleaned were posted on ABPW

Dave

James Lee Johnson

"David Babcock" wrote in message
My father-in-law just gave me an older Rockwell/Delta drill press circa
1962, dirty, greasy, in terrible shape. But clean, and serviced it

promises
to do great work for another 40 years, I hope.
Pictures uncleaned were posted on ABPW

Hello David,

Several years ago I bought a Rockwell 32" Radial Drill Press, model 11-280,
like yours in an estate sale. There is no mention of Delta on my old drill
press or in the manual and the motor is a 11.5 amp, 1750 RPM Dayton. Delta
introduced a "new" version of this radial drill press a few years ago, but I
don't see it now. The old Rockwell is a wonderfull woodworking drill press.
Though your drill press is dirty, it looks to be complete and not abused.
There should be a cover for the front pulley to keep hair , etc., from
getting caught in the belts. The only delicate part of the machine is the
tilt lock plunger assembly on the center support, which locks into the slot
on the arm. Take this apart and clean and lubricate it as a first step.

My drill press had a bit of play in the head, no doubt due to overtightening
of the belt. I was able to shim it into reasonable tolerance. I think the
tilting head drill press has the same advantages as the tilting arbor table
saw, so I don't know why they aren't more popular with woodworkers.

in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, David Babcock said:
Both the motor and drill section have a pulley with four different sizes,

guess that
was the variable speed of its day.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Aren't step pulleys still a common
way to vary the speed on induction motor driven machines? Aren't induction
motors the standard and preference for stationary tools? On this subject,
there is no convenient way to release the belt tension on the drill press,
thus making it a hassle to change speeds. I've thoughtof several ways to
introduce a belt tensioner/release, but none are elegant. If you have any
ideas, let me know.

jj

Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Inner threading turning tool out of HSS...Need for astronomy project Vincent Coppola Metalworking 16 June 12th 04 08:08 PM
McCulloch Strimmer Line Frank P UK diy 13 June 9th 04 07:40 AM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders Steve Metalworking 28 October 20th 03 03:12 AM