john moorhead

Default How to replace side panels on Bies

Folks -

Okay, the PO of this saw had scuffed up the side of the rip fence with the
blade, doing what, I'm not sure. The fence looks like it's made of out
lamintated BB ply, but I don't know how to fence panels come off. I know
that I could go caveman on it, but I thought someone here would likely have
more finess than my own bad self.

I'd sure appreciate some input. I can't really tune the saw up until I get
the fence fixed.

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

I believe there are screw heads hidden beneath the laminate. I'd scuff
sand it and laminate another layer on top.

Bridger

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:29:30 GMT, "john moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

Okay, the PO of this saw had scuffed up the side of the rip fence with the
blade, doing what, I'm not sure. The fence looks like it's made of out
lamintated BB ply, but I don't know how to fence panels come off. I know
that I could go caveman on it, but I thought someone here would likely have
more finess than my own bad self.

I'd sure appreciate some input. I can't really tune the saw up until I get
the fence fixed.

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

Jim Wilson

john moorhead wrote...
Folks -

Okay, the PO of this saw had scuffed up the side of the rip fence with the
blade, doing what, I'm not sure. The fence looks like it's made of out
lamintated BB ply, but I don't know how to fence panels come off. I know
that I could go caveman on it, but I thought someone here would likely have
more finess than my own bad self.

You're right. The panels are made of baltic birch ply. The panels are
screwed into the steel box beam, the laminate is (contact) cemented to
the ply, and then the edging is inserted. To remove a panel, you have to
peel off the laminate, which unfortunately will destroy it.

Jim
FOW

Get one corner of the Lam. up then use a squirt bottle of lacquer thinner to
squirt under the lam and peel off the lam with a sharp putty knife. Or try
Acetone. Watch the paint on the fence though. Maybe a heatgun would work
also.
"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
john moorhead wrote...
Folks -

Okay, the PO of this saw had scuffed up the side of the rip fence with

the
blade, doing what, I'm not sure. The fence looks like it's made of out
lamintated BB ply, but I don't know how to fence panels come off. I

know
that I could go caveman on it, but I thought someone here would likely

have
more finess than my own bad self.

You're right. The panels are made of baltic birch ply. The panels are
screwed into the steel box beam, the laminate is (contact) cemented to
the ply, and then the edging is inserted. To remove a panel, you have to
peel off the laminate, which unfortunately will destroy it.

Jim

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"FOW" wrote:

Maybe a heatgun would work
also.

Yep, that's the way I removed mine. The cement softened right up and I
peeled the formica off in one big piece with no problem whatsoever.
Underneath are maybe 8 hex-head screws holding the birch to the metal
tube.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html

Roy Neudecker

In article , "FOW"
writes:

Get one corner of the Lam. up then use a squirt bottle of lacquer thinner to
squirt under the lam and peel off the lam with a sharp putty knife. Or try
Acetone. Watch the paint on the fence though. Maybe a heatgun would work
also.

If this method is used don't forget to use flame-retardant all over your body.
But on the other hand if you are in an enclosed place the explosion will kill
you.

Please don't use the heat gun in conjunction with either of these volatile
compounds!

Roy
Roy
Jim Wilson

Fly-by-Night CC wrote...
In article ,
"FOW" wrote:

Maybe a heatgun would work
also.

Yep, that's the way I removed mine. The cement softened right up and I
peeled the formica off in one big piece with no problem whatsoever.
Underneath are maybe 8 hex-head screws holding the birch to the metal
tube.

Well, slap my 'fro! I sit corrected. Truth is, I didn't even try to
preserve mine, because the panel was getting replaced, anyway. I was
increasing the fence height.

Jim
Slowhand

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in

Underneath are maybe 8 hex-head screws holding the birch to the metal
tube.

One note I might add is when you re-laminate the strip back together, make
it so you can remove the baltic birch from the metal part easily (i.e.
expose the connection). I did this because I have different fence
attachments. From the fwiw dept.
SH

Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "Slowhand" I'm@work
wrote:

One note I might add is when you re-laminate the strip back together, make
it so you can remove the baltic birch from the metal part easily (i.e.
expose the connection). I did this because I have different fence
attachments. From the fwiw dept.

How did you do this? I suppose you could relaminate the ply detached
from the tube, drill throught the backside to locate the screw holes...?

Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 08:49 PM
Garage door opener for side hung doors. David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 August 9th 03 07:20 PM
Removable Fencing Panels Tony Hayes UK diy 2 July 17th 03 08:41 AM