Posted to rec.woodworking

Default adding metal details ?

Customers always have away of expanding our horizons.. often I shy away from
things I have not done before, but some of my best work has come from
tackling new styles and materials..
I do a fair amount of Art Deco designs.. (wood)
This new client loves metal.. chrome or other similar alloys.
My potential design is going to have a detail taken from an antique..
Picture here
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Contact/samples/samples.html

The small strips of metal rapping around the sides..
I'm also thinking of some sort of metal strips on the base..
I have no experience with metal and I'm hoping for some suggestions from the
group and how to do this.
One possibility is to find someone local to work with (metal worker)
Or maybe there are products that I can easily use ???

Thanks Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

DEAD-SOFT aluminum extrusions; bent, polished, and anodized, would be my
first thought.

A sort of modified "TEE" shape, with the vertical leg pressed into a slot,
(saw-cut or routed), maybe with a dab of epoxy to hold it in place?

The picture looks like something that might have been found in Uncle Bills
study circa 1932. Nice.

Flash

"dwolf" wrote in message
Customers always have away of expanding our horizons.. often I shy away
from things I have not done before, but some of my best work has come from
tackling new styles and materials..
I do a fair amount of Art Deco designs.. (wood)
This new client loves metal.. chrome or other similar alloys.
My potential design is going to have a detail taken from an antique..
Picture here
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Contact/samples/samples.html

The small strips of metal rapping around the sides..
I'm also thinking of some sort of metal strips on the base..
I have no experience with metal and I'm hoping for some suggestions from
the group and how to do this.
One possibility is to find someone local to work with (metal worker)
Or maybe there are products that I can easily use ???

Thanks Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:51:01 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

I do a fair amount of Art Deco designs.. (wood)

The small strips of metal rapping around the sides..
I'm also thinking of some sort of metal strips on the base..

This stuff is aluminium extrusion ('50s onwards), or pre-war it's
commonly brass or bronze and then nickel plated. You can still buy the
extrusions in aluminium today, but you either need to deal with an
expensive architectural trim supplier, or you have to read a lot of
random catalogues and borrow suitable shapes from other trades. Boat
trim can be useful too, as can the inlay strips for kitchen fitting.

Usually the section you'll use is a heavy-headed T shape, with a barbed
rib at the back. Curving it is best done with an adjustable rolling mill
(an MDF sandwich and roller bearings will do), and doing it in stages.
For corners you can also do it by hamering (soft plastic hammer is best)
over a round anvil, but be careful not to kink it. Tight corners are
easier if you saw the fin into segments first, to allow it to curve
without the fin buckling. Don't cut all the way through the fin though,
or it'll start to kink at the cuts

The strip can be polished with a set of Garryflex blocks, something
every workshop should have. They're a set of three or four colour-coded
ruber blocks filled with graded abrasive grit. You might anodise them
again afterwards - web searching will show you how, but this is a
nuisance for these long strips!

To install the strips, cut a groove. Easiest way to do this is to clamp
a guide bar in place and to cut with something resembling a thick veneer
saw. Make this yourself from a piece of heavy sawblade steel, shaped
with a deep curved belly to it and cut and sharpened into teeth. A
"Swiss Army Knife" sawtooth shape is good.

Funny thing is that you can't give this stuff away locally. Lots of
lovely period pieces still show up in the junk shops and no-one wants
them.

Joinery Details No Woodworking 10 August 19th 05 07:22 PM
Victorian arch details - outside use Wayne Dengel Woodworking 5 May 24th 05 06:46 AM
MFI Service contact details SidKnee UK diy 2 April 13th 05 03:18 PM
OneWay Contact Details Mark Hancock Woodturning 3 March 27th 04 01:27 PM
TRANSISTOR TIF122 ANY DETAILS? SHIMON Electronics Repair 2 August 14th 03 08:52 PM