Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

Default using a router/table a jointer

Hello everyone,
I have a Bosch tabletop router table and have been trying for days to
set it up to edge-joint 3/4 stock for edge gluing. No matter what I
do the piece comes out sort of teeter-totterish. I have a split fench
using a 1/16 shim on the outfeed side which I have tried flushing up
with the bering, or just a little shy. No matter what I do every
piece of wood totters when I put it on a flat surface. (Tablesaw...)
Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've tried everything
but replacing the 1/2 shank Rockler straight-cutting bit!
Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:13:01 -0700 (PDT), V
wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a Bosch tabletop router table and have been trying for days to
set it up to edge-joint 3/4 stock for edge gluing. No matter what I
do the piece comes out sort of teeter-totterish. I have a split fench
using a 1/16 shim on the outfeed side which I have tried flushing up
with the bering, or just a little shy. No matter what I do every
piece of wood totters when I put it on a flat surface. (Tablesaw...)
Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've tried everything
but replacing the 1/2 shank Rockler straight-cutting bit!
Thanks

Check your fences and table for flatness. Your shim may be causing a
problem. I doubt a bit (even a bad one) would cause a teeter-totter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you maintaining consistent contact with the oufeed side of the fence
once enough stock is in contact with it? Assuming everything is straight
& flat as it should be, once enough stock is contacting the outfeed
side of the fence, you should not be using the infeed side to guide the
stock. Is it possible that the teeter-totter you speak of is just some
snipe at the beginning or end of the cut? If so, it may be unavoidable
but you can compensate by using longer stock than the finished size
and cutting to length later.

All that said, though, I would recommend that if you have a halfway
decent tablesaw, you look into one of the methods used for jointing
an edge on the saw. I use a carrier-board and with a good blade can
make a glue-joint quality cut very quickly, perhaps at the most requiring
a pass or 2 with a jointer plane but usually that is not necessary.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.