Posted to rec.woodworking

Default U.S. carpentry for a non-U.S. resident ( Help !)

hello,
i plan to build a small house ( 30fx30ft ),
only in wood
and only use the US carpentry way-of-making.
but my only source for informations is the TV show " extreme makeover
home edition" ( and this really make me and my friends ask us a lots of
questions )
i want to build simple, efficent and fast.
so,
i have some questions :
when you have a wall in 2 parts how are they joint together ?

are the outside of a wall in plywood or osb or something else, do you
use a special kind of osb ?

i plan to use chesnut on the outside of the wall, what thickness is good
for shingles ?

are all the parts of the "frame" of the walls jointed by metallic plate ?

how are the angle of the walls made ? you join 2 wall at 90° ? you nails
the walls on a big wood ?

Are you nailing everything or you use screw sometimes ?

what kind of nails do you use ? ( i'm not using so much nails in carpentry )

How are the wall of the 2nd floor fixed to the top of the first floor ?

where can i find a document with the rules of US construction ( like,
the minimal sixe of wood for a wood , the fixtures ... )

and the last for fun : you never use wood for firing your bbq ?

i have many more questions, but it would be long ....

thanks,

oliver.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 8:10 pm, olivier wrote:

i have some questions :
when you have a wall in 2 parts how are they joint together ?

are the outside of a wall in plywood or osb or something else, do you
use a special kind of osb ?

i plan to use chesnut on the outside of the wall, what thickness is good
for shingles ?

are all the parts of the "frame" of the walls jointed by metallic plate ?

how are the angle of the walls made ? you join 2 wall at 90° ? you nails
the walls on a big wood ?

Are you nailing everything or you use screw sometimes ?

what kind of nails do you use ? ( i'm not using so much nails in carpentry )

How are the wall of the 2nd floor fixed to the top of the first floor ?

Try:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...2FLarry%2DHaun
http://www.contractor-books.com/TP/H4H_Bld_House.htm

where can i find a document with the rules of US construction ( like,
the minimal sixe of wood for a wood , the fixtures ... )

Architectural Graphic Standards is the handbook that covers
most of that.

and the last for fun : you never use wood for firing your bbq ?

We often use hardwood charcoal, some people use
mesquite, and some will add woodchips, usually soaked
in water on top of their coals.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

BobS a écrit :
Oliver,

Try this link as a starter

http://www.howstuffworks.com/house.htm

Then use Google and the search phrase - How to build a house.

That should keep you busy for awhile....

Bob S.

"olivier" wrote in message
hello,
i plan to build a small house ( 30fx30ft ),
only in wood

thanks Bob,
i'm planning some other questions,
howstuffworks is great
( i'm like a child, i understand better with pictures )
for me , that's totally different from the way i use .....
( concrete or stone, we don't build in wood )

i will ask a few more questions, but, right now, it's 3 in the morning.

thanks again.

oliver
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oliver,
What you need is a good book. I have an earlier edition of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Carpentry-Buil...2630811&sr=1-4

It is intended as a student's textbook. It's almost a thousand pages,
with many, many photos and diagrams. It will lead you through the
entire construction sequence and answer your questions. I highly
recommend it for anyone about to undertake building anything bigger
than a dog house. I don't make money if you buy it, I just think it
will help you.

DonkeyHody
"The best things in life . . . aren't things."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
Oliver,
What you need is a good book. I have an earlier edition of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Carpentry-Buil...2630811&sr=1-4

It is intended as a student's textbook. It's almost a thousand pages,
with many, many photos and diagrams. It will lead you through the
entire construction sequence and answer your questions. I highly
recommend it for anyone about to undertake building anything bigger
than a dog house. I don't make money if you buy it, I just think it
will help you.

DonkeyHody
"The best things in life . . . aren't things."

I don't have the book, but I did drool on it for a while at a
friends...actually, it's a pretty good book to have even if ALL you are
going to build is a doghouse...you never know when you might upset SWMBO and
you have to sleep it it!

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Davenport's a écrit :
[...]

i don't know what is a standard sizing for an U.S. room or house.
for me a room is 4 by 3 meters ( 13 by 10 ft )....

and i don't really plan to buy a book at amazon or barnes&noble,
overseas shipping fees are sometimes as expensive as the price of the
book....

oliver
Posted to rec.woodworking

"olivier" wrote in message

i don't know what is a standard sizing for an U.S. room or house.
for me a room is 4 by 3 meters ( 13 by 10 ft )....

and i don't really plan to buy a book at amazon or barnes&noble,
overseas shipping fees are sometimes as expensive as the price of the
book....

You're going to build a house and you shy away from the
cost of obtaining a book on the subject? The cost of
your first contstruction error will be far greater.
Posted to rec.woodworking

?

where can i find a document with the rules of US construction (
like,
the minimal sixe of wood for a wood , the fixtures ... )

and the last for fun : you never use wood for firing your bbq ?

i have many more questions, but it would be long ....

You're basically asking someone to teach you a carpentry course via
USENET. Not gonna happen. Too much information and without
illustrations too easy to get misled. And that assumes that anybody
actually has the time to do it.

You need a good book on US building practices--one has been suggested.
You objected on the basis of cost. I don't know how materials prices
run where you are but around here if it saves screwing up three sheets
of plywood then it's paid for itself.

You should also have a copy of the International Residential Code,
which is used in much of the US--you can purchase it for download from
http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/de...53385&sid=goog.
The code is not a substitute for a carpentry book, but it's generally
the final arbiter on what fastener to use or what size lumber to use.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:39:24 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

{snip}

You're basically asking someone to teach you a carpentry course via
USENET. Not gonna happen. Too much information and without
illustrations too easy to get misled. And that assumes that anybody
actually has the time to do it.

{snip}

I agree! Get books.

I have lived in 8 states, and in each state there were county building
codes and enforced at the county level. You want to build a house where
people will actually live in...you need a building permit from ether the
county or city local government. Some of the questions the OP asked will
need to be answered before the county issues the permit.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, the only way to get the county to rubber
stamp a building permit was to have the building plans submitted by a
registered Architect. Otherwise, it would be a long slug through the mud
of bureaucracy before the plans would be approved.

And before you will be issued an "occupancy" permit on the new building,
the building needs to be inspected. and maybe re-inspected.

Oh, and if you don't get all the permits and inspections, yes, the county
can make you tear it down, or the county will tear it down for you, and
sue you to pay for the tear down.

BTW: in some counties, if your foundation is off by as much as 3/4 of an
inch from the plans you submitted to the county, you could be made to re-
do the foundation.

Phil
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Again wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:39:24 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

{snip}

You're basically asking someone to teach you a carpentry course via
USENET. Not gonna happen. Too much information and without
illustrations too easy to get misled. And that assumes that
anybody
actually has the time to do it.

{snip}

I agree! Get books.

I have lived in 8 states, and in each state there were county
building
codes and enforced at the county level. You want to build a house
where people will actually live in...you need a building permit from
ether the county or city local government. Some of the questions
the
OP asked will need to be answered before the county issues the
permit.

Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be
different. Codes per se may not apply.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:58:05 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be different.
Codes per se may not apply.

WOW! I missed that part completely. After your post I re-read the
original, and it still took me a couple of tries to realize Olivier was
talking about being outside the USA.

Olivier, Can you let us know what country you live in? Makes a
difference if you are subject to Hurricane damage, or 1.5 meters of snow
on the roof.

Phil
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 12:07 pm, Phil Again wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:58:05 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be different.
Codes per se may not apply.

WOW! I missed that part completely. After your post I re-read the
original, and it still took me a couple of tries to realize Olivier was
talking about being outside the USA.

Olivier, Can you let us know what country you live in? Makes a
difference if you are subject to Hurricane damage, or 1.5 meters of snow
on the roof.

Phil

I hope he has good luck finding chestnut for the exterior, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 4:24 pm, Charlie Self wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:07 pm, Phil Again wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:58:05 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be different.
Codes per se may not apply.

WOW! I missed that part completely. After your post I re-read the
original, and it still took me a couple of tries to realize Olivier was
talking about being outside the USA.

Olivier, Can you let us know what country you live in? Makes a
difference if you are subject to Hurricane damage, or 1.5 meters of snow
on the roof.

Phil

I hope he has good luck finding chestnut for the exterior, too.

I suggest wormy chestnut. It will add a certain Je ne sais merde
to the project.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

i don't know what is a standard sizing *for an U.S. room or house.
for me a room is 4 by 3 meters ( 13 by 10 ft )....

and i don't really plan to buy a book at amazon or barnes&noble,
overseas shipping fees are sometimes as expensive as the price of the
book....

There is no standard sizing for U.S. room or house. We have
regulations that require minimum clearances for safe access etc. We
have many regulations relating to fire safety and electrical safety.
We have standard heights for countertops and sinks doorknobs and light
switches, but people feel free to adjust to suit their personal
stature. But there is no standard size room or standard size house.

DonkeyHody
"The lessons I remember best are the ones I learned the hard way."
Posted to rec.woodworking

wormy chesnut ????
what is it ?
it will add a certain je ne sais merde for sure, if the worms don't
move too fast ...

i'm not subject to hurricane damage, and not more than 0.8 meters of the
snow....

i love your " je ne sais merde "
and " merde " now , you know where i'm living.

Fred the Red Shirt a écrit :
On Jun 5, 4:24 pm, Charlie Self wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:07 pm, Phil Again wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:58:05 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be different.
Codes per se may not apply.
WOW! I missed that part completely. After your post I re-read the
original, and it still took me a couple of tries to realize Olivier was
talking about being outside the USA.
Olivier, Can you let us know what country you live in? Makes a
difference if you are subject to Hurricane damage, or 1.5 meters of snow
on the roof.
Phil

I hope he has good luck finding chestnut for the exterior, too.

I suggest wormy chestnut. It will add a certain Je ne sais merde
to the project.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt a écrit :
On Jun 5, 4:24 pm, Charlie Self wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:07 pm, Phil Again wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:58:05 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
Remember, he's outside the US, so the rules are likely to be different.
Codes per se may not apply.
WOW! I missed that part completely. After your post I re-read the
original, and it still took me a couple of tries to realize Olivier was
talking about being outside the USA.
Olivier, Can you let us know what country you live in? Makes a
difference if you are subject to Hurricane damage, or 1.5 meters of snow
on the roof.
Phil

I hope he has good luck finding chestnut for the exterior, too.

I suggest wormy chestnut. It will add a certain Je ne sais merde
to the project.

--

FF

what i'm doing :
http://olivier.crouton-numerique.com/
i try to understand the " how and why " the USA are using a different
way of carpentry, i'm also searching to do something, nice and fast.
olivier
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 8:11 pm, olivier wrote:
wormy chesnut ????
what is it ?
it will add a certain je ne sais merde for sure, if the worms don't
move too fast ...

i'm not subject to hurricane damage, and not more than 0.8 meters of the
snow....

i love your " je ne sais merde "
and " merde " now , you know where i'm living.

Or rather I know where you are coming from...

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 12:11 am, olivier wrote:
wormy chesnut ????
what is it ?

As you may know the American chestnuts were almost entirely
wiped out by blight (fungus) early in the 20th century. Some
kind of insect or other borer made holes in a lot of the wood,
though it was not the reason for the high mortality. That
wood, with the holes, is wormy chestnut.

As you may know, there is no commercial source for virgin
American chestnut. Chestnut is only available as recycled,
antique lumber, the wormy sort is more expensive than others.

Thus, using it for siding would add a bit of the aformentioned
Je ne said mot de Cambronne, to the project.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

olivier wrote:
The Davenport's a écrit :
[...]

Maybe overseas shipping is a killer, Oliver, but the scope and breadth
of information that you need far exceeds what can be answered in a
newsgroup. Simply the rules followed for stud framing (wall structures)
would be enough to fill one book and there's no way you'll get that kind
of info here.

If you can't get a book from online retailers, try some other means. You
can get specific answerss here or in other NGs, but you really need
proper documentation.

Tanus