Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Swingman - Design - The Completion Of A thought

I play some music and I build some woodwork.

Something that is interesting to me that brings the two together is
that, if I build a piece and it does not look complete to me in some
way, there is usually a simple explanation for the completion.

I think that this sense is very analogous to what a musician goes
through in trying to come to a resolve.

In music, we have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve.

I suspect that we also have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve
in the physical realm of wooddorking.

I'm not going to complexify this by saying any more.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I play some music and I build some woodwork.

Something that is interesting to me that brings the two together is
that, if I build a piece and it does not look complete to me in some
way, there is usually a simple explanation for the completion.

Read up a bit on the theory of "cadence" in Western music ... it could open
up your mind for some ideas for "completion/resolution".

The best of both musicians and designers seem to have an inanate sense of
"cadence" in their respective aural and visual senses.

I think that this sense is very analogous to what a musician goes
through in trying to come to a resolve.

In music, we have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve.

I suspect that we also have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve
in the physical realm of wooddorking.

I'm not going to complexify this by saying any more.

In music, if the listener can anticipate the next note more than 50% of the
time, the piece is boring; if he can't, it is scattered - (Jerry Coker
"Improvising Jazz"). Seemingly, this concept can be extrapolated to a visual
sense ... in design, the good ones in a particular genre (Greene & Greene?)
do seem to do pretty much just that.

Then again, as in music, some have it, some don't ... I find myself firmly
in the latter category when it comes to design.

In art, as well as in design, I've always imagined that a correlation exists
between the musical concepts of "tonal" with Western design, and "atonal"
with Eastern ... but an imagination is vital to the process.

Maybe that's the answer?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 8:50 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Then again, as in music, some have it, some don't ... I find myself firmly
in the latter category when it comes to design.

Given today's taste in clothing and music--sweeping generalities time--
my design sense, generally known as "clunky", should be coming into
vogue any day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 8:50 am, "Swingman" wrote:

Then again, as in music, some have it, some don't ... I find myself
firmly
in the latter category when it comes to design.

Given today's taste in clothing and music--sweeping generalities time--
my design sense, generally known as "clunky", should be coming into
vogue any day.

I'm sure that is not true, but thanks for the chuckle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:22:35 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

Given today's taste in clothing and music--sweeping generalities time--
my design sense, generally known as "clunky", should be coming into
vogue any day.

Wear it in confidence, and BE style!

Fat chicks in belly shirts do the same...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **