Colin

Default Building Notice Completion Certificate

Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a building
notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

Rick

On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:35:14 +0100, "Colin"
wrote:

Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a building
notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

I think it should have a number on it, which relates to the number of
the project, and the plans you submitted in the first place. This way
when sombody checkes, they can see what works were done, and what were
completed successfully.

Rick

Mary Fisher

"Colin" wrote in message
Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a
building notice. Hurrah!

Well done - that must be very gratifying.

Mary

Mike

wrote:

Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a

building
notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

I think it should have a number on it, which relates to the number of
the project, and the plans you submitted in the first place. This way
when sombody checkes, they can see what works were done, and what were
completed successfully.

For a building notice you often don't submit any plans at all. I would
imagine the BCO had no record of what was done so just used the title you
described. If you submit a complete list of work done before the final
check they will usually put it on the certificate after checking that they
really have seen those things at some point along the way.

Rick

AlexW

Colin wrote:
Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a building
notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

My local authority do not offer completion certs for building notices,
so I would not be down hearted.

They mumbled something about the only important thing was that no
non-compliances were lodged at the (may be wrong here it was 2 years
ago) Land Registry.

I had a bit of a tussle with them about inspections they did and then
later raised issues on the stuff they had already inspected and "signed
off", it was all a bit of a fiasco really ...

HTH,

Alex.

Tricky Dicky

"AlexW" wrote in message
Colin wrote:
Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a
building notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

My local authority do not offer completion certs for building notices, so
I would not be down hearted.

They mumbled something about the only important thing was that no
non-compliances were lodged at the (may be wrong here it was 2 years ago)
Land Registry.

I had a bit of a tussle with them about inspections they did and then
later raised issues on the stuff they had already inspected and "signed
off", it was all a bit of a fiasco really ...

During the research for my renovation project, I am sure it says Building
Notice Completion certificates are needed when it comes to selling your
house later on to prove that the work had been inspected and met regulations

Tricky

Mike

"AlexW" wrote in message

My local authority do not offer completion certs for building notices,
so I would not be down hearted.

That used to be the case with all authorities but I think you may be able to
insist on one now. Trawl though the ODPM site to see if there's any
guidance.

James

"Colin" wrote in message
Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a
building notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

This sounds like the answer to the problems raised by Part P. Get a
completion certificate for some other work, with the vague description
"Internal alterations" - and use this act as the official paper for all
electrical work to date!!!

James

AlexW

Tricky Dicky wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

Colin wrote:

[...]

I'll give it some thought, but I doubt it was a legal requirement when I
did this work. More like solicitors wanting to tick all the boxes so
there's no comeback on them during a sale.

I can prove it was inspected etc as I have all the paperwork including
the fiasco related stuff, which would only prevent a very nervous person
from buying my house ... the issue was the stair well clearance was 15mm
short of the regulation 2m. I live in a cottage with some of the old
door's at only 5'6" high so this issue would be very unlikley to deter
people really.
AlexW

Mike wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

My local authority do not offer completion certs for building notices,
so I would not be down hearted.

That used to be the case with all authorities but I think you may be able to
insist on one now. Trawl though the ODPM site to see if there's any
guidance.

Cheers I'll give the ODPM a trawl somtime.

Nick Atty

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:57:16 +0100, "James"
wrote:

"Colin" wrote in message
Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a
building notice. Hurrah!
A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was
expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors,
bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

This sounds like the answer to the problems raised by Part P. Get a
completion certificate for some other work, with the vague description
"Internal alterations" - and use this act as the official paper for all
electrical work to date!!!

I came up with that a month or so ago. I've got a completion
certificate for gutting and rebuilding practically the entire house, bar
the kitchen, that says "Internal reconstruction" or something. So
that's anything the kitchen needs in the next couple of years
covered....
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)