Posted to rec.woodworking

Default LV Aluminum Bar Clamps on sale

Anyone here using these?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57673&cat=1,44047&ap=1

If so, how "lighter duty" are they? Are they strong and stiff enough
for assembly of properly made cabinet doors?

I have LOTS of good clamps, but I'd like more for when I do lots of
doors. These are a great price.

Thanks!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57673&cat=1,44047&ap=1

If so, how "lighter duty" are they? Are they strong and stiff enough
for assembly of properly made cabinet doors?

Sure they are. Almost any clamp can do cabinet doors. You don't need or want
clamps that can squeeze the crap out of them, just clamps that will keep the
doors square long enough for the glue to dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Anyone here using these?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57673&cat=1,44047&ap=1

If so, how "lighter duty" are they? Are they strong and stiff enough
for assembly of properly made cabinet doors?

I have LOTS of good clamps, but I'd like more for when I do lots of
doors. These are a great price.

Thanks!

I think you are looking at strictly lite duty. I have had the heavy version
of these type clamps for years and they do flex easily. If the bar bending
will not be introduce a problem they should work well but don't count on
them to glue up flat panels made up of multi pieces unless you have clamps
on both sides to balance the stress.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Anyone here using these?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57673&cat=1,44047&ap=1

If so, how "lighter duty" are they? Are they strong and stiff enough
for assembly of properly made cabinet doors?

I have LOTS of good clamps, but I'd like more for when I do lots of
doors. These are a great price.

Thanks!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

I got a set of the 24", Barry. They are light duty, but I've cranked
them with good results.

However, at that price, they're certainly not K-bodies.

When that deal first came out, there was a minor thread about them here,
and Leon said he wasn't happy with the longer ones because they flexed.
I haven't noticed any appreciable flex with the shorter ones, but I
haven't clamped at maximum jaw width either.

One complaint that I have is that they come with plastic wood savers as
shown in the pic at LV. When I cranked the clamp, the plastic pieces
self-destructed. Those things are about as useful as tits on a bull.

However, at the CDN price of $6.90 each, I have no complaints.

YMMV

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, guys!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

Snip

One complaint that I have is that they come with plastic wood savers as
shown in the pic at LV. When I cranked the clamp, the plastic pieces
self-destructed. Those things are about as useful as tits on a bull.

Well, oddly you may have discovered that those clamps don't really damage
the edge of the wood even with out something to seperate the clamp face from
the wood. Try clamping with nothing at all and see if you get the same
results. I was always amazed that mine never really left much of an
impression. I suppose when they "bowed" I stopped applying pressure and
that may have been the reason that they did not do much damage when used
directly in contact with the wood. Plus I now trim most every thing that I
clamp after the glues dires. I glue up oversized.

However, at the CDN price of $6.90 each, I have no complaints.

AND there is that. LOL

YMMV

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 4:47 pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks, guys!

**http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Barry - I have those exact clamps. And lightweight, they are
indeed. It is a true case of getting what you pay for, so if
expectations are low, you will be fine.

I bought 10 or so of those in 24" when I had a group of smaller glue
ups for some cabs. After about four or five uses the stationery side
where you crank wallowed out in inside of the clamp face and when you
back off the pressure it will not pull the face with it.

Also, if you do put a fair amount of pressure on the clamp at about
16", they will flex enough to pull your glue up into a curve.
Following good glue up practice I always put one in the oppositive
position to negate this (old habits die hard).

Great for small projects, hard to kick at the price.

Robert