Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Portable planers: How noisy?

Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Student" wrote in message
Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?

I wear hearing protectors when I use mine. I also have the 1617 router and
the planer is a bit louder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 03:32:58 -0700 (PDT), Student
wrote:

Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?

My DeWalt 733 is by far the most obnoxious power tool in my shop,
here's why:

- It uses a "universal" motor, like a router or shop vac. This is a
much louder motor than the TEFC type on a good table saw or jointer.
Think high pitch whine!

- Planers in general make lots of noise as the knives contact the wood
at high speed. Even large units with quiet TEFC motors are quite loud
while planing wood.

- By functional design, the motor and knives can't really be hidden
inside a cabinet.

I can't think of a noise dampening technique for a lunch box planer
that wouldn't make it ridiculously inconvenient to use, overheat the
motor, etc...

On the other hand, you could have your lumber dealer do your general
surfacing, which you then finish with silent hand tools. The same
hand tools can be used to create stock of varying thicknesses. Lots
of folks work wood in apartments, at night, etc... so they deal with
strict noise limits by learning to do things by hand.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 5:32*am, Student wrote:
Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening *-
techniques, how effective...?

The planner is loader than the router.... I dont know of any way to
make it quiter... I also run the vac sysytem at the same time ...
I try to keep panning to a mimium so, i dont upset the neibors...

Randy
http:nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Student" wrote in message
Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?

To dampen the noise, wear hearing protection. These little planers with the
universal motors are noisy even when not under a load. By comparison, the
1617 is much quieter when running a lower speeds and not under a load.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

"Student" wrote in message
Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?

Planer should be noisier but you will be further away so the router may
course more damage to your ears since you are at arms length to the cutter
plus the router transfer sounds at higher frequencies.You could test it out
with a sound meter and see which is louder and by how much.

As for noise dampening you could possibly use a noise cancellation device
through a speaker with the sound waveform at 180 degrees out of phase at the
same amplitude.

You think the next generation woodworking tools comes with an intergraded
noise cancellation device?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank wrote in :

*snip*

You think the next generation woodworking tools comes with an
intergraded noise cancellation device?

I'm sorry [Family member you can't stand], I couldn't hear you because of
the noise cancellation device. Maybe you should talk a little less like my
planer.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jun 1, 6:55 am, randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:32 am, Student wrote:

Very noisy, I know, but please compare it to an ordinary router (Bosch
1617) . I am considerring Delta 22-580 planer. Noise dampening -
techniques, how effective...?

The planner is loader than the router.... I dont know of any way to
make it quiter... I also run the vac sysytem at the same time ...
I try to keep panning to a mimium so, i dont upset the neibors...

Randy
http:nokeswoodworks.com

I moved to get neighbors who a) are farther away and b) don't care all
that much.
Seriously, the old neighborhood was nice but typical lots were 0.2
acres, and nobody ever said anything but I felt guilty if I fired up
the planer before 9am on a
Saturday morning. 'Course that was a good reason to keep the hand
planes sharp.

And -- DAGS for sound pressure level portable planer which returns
(for me) a link to a popularwoodworking.com review of portable planers
in which a table throws out numbers in the 90 db range -- I don't
think it says whether that's idling or cutting. So a little quieter
than the proverbial jet at 100m, loud enough to cause hearing damage
with long term exposure. Would be interesting to compare to levels
for a stationary planer -- which idles quietly but can also scream
when cutting full width boards. So to get a complete answer you need
to know how loud the router is -- which depends a lot on the bit you
are spinning.

hex
-30-

material removal gauge for portable planers eganders Woodworking 10 September 4th 06 06:23 AM
Planers John Cartmell UK diy 9 January 31st 06 11:39 PM
Planers... Christian Woodworking 0 October 28th 05 03:10 AM
Portable Air Conditioner noisy (the kind on casters) jay Home Repair 2 June 9th 05 06:39 PM
Question about portable electric planers Alan Witt Woodworking 6 May 5th 04 10:07 PM