Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Planers

Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut
Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm cut 18mm rebate
B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate
Bosch 500W 1,800 rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate
WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow price, or
what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the range. I'm looking
for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but need one that will
actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list in Argos is handy that
doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Challenge: I bought a Challenge and a Challenge Extreme jigsaw as a
distress purchase and both of them went back in short order, the
Challenge because the blade and the sole plate couldn't be set at 90
degrees and the Extreme because it burned out within minutes. Some
cheap brands are surprisingly good but my experience of Challenge is
that they're pretty ropey. But the planers may come form an entirely
different manufacturer.

Black and Decker: I've used several B&D tools and, apart from some of
their older drills, I've found them badly designed, underpowered and
easy to overload. I think there are cheap brands that work better and
are better value than B&D.

Bosch: I bought one of these several years ago and it's the one Bosch
tool I've been happy with in so far as it works and it's done so for a
long time. (I've had drills and screwdrivers fail just outside the
guarantee period - and it's only then that you discover that, at six
months, Bosch screwdrivers have (or had) the shortest guarantee period
of any manufacturer.) But when I bought the planer, it didn't come
with a dust bag (an expensive extra) and the dust port was a
parallelogram shape (why?) which required an expensive optional adaptor
to connect it a dust extractor. If these things haven't changed, add
the cost of the extras into your decision.

Worx: I know a couple of people who've used Worx tools (not the
planer) professionally and they rate them very highly.

Ferm, Wickes black DIY range: I've used both of these and neither of
them were good. The sole plates weren't true. If you Google the group
archives, you'll see this is a problem with some of the cheaper
planers. It's hard to end up with a smooth result when the base of the
plane is wonky. That said, I've seen other Ferm/Wickes DIY tools that
have been good.

The other thing to check is whether the machine comes with TCT blades
or steel blades. Steel blades are cheaper but blunt more quickly, so
if you end up replacing them with a pair of TCT blades (you can find
the price at Screwfix), you'll end up adding £x.xx to the price.

From the list you've given, I'd investigate the Bosch or the Worx

tools.

If you look elsewhere, check the sole plates and the blades.

You'll be better served by a decent planer with a smaller depth of cut
than a dodgy planer with a 3mm cut. And I think the Bosch figure of
1800 rpm is probably a mistake.

Hope this helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

mikengac wrote:
The other thing to check is whether the machine comes with TCT blades
or steel blades. Steel blades are cheaper but blunt more quickly, so
if you end up replacing them with a pair of TCT blades (you can find
the price at Screwfix), you'll end up adding £x.xx to the price.

Hm. Haven't seen a planer without TC blades....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Rick wrote:
You try
working accuratyly with a tool that hurts when you use it.

Rick

Put some Vasaline on it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:20:20 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut
Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm cut 18mm rebate
B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate
Bosch 500W 1,800 rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate
WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow price, or
what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the range. I'm looking
for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but need one that will
actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list in Argos is handy that
doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

Depends what you want to plane. For hardwood you need something beefy,
for MDF you must have dust extraxion and a hover attachment. I have
found the ability of the plane to clear the chips from the blade to be
most important. The bigger the chip you remove, the harder it is to
clear. Also you may like to plane out a rebate, which has demands on
the design. A long flat bed on the plane will make getting something
straight much easier. Where does the cable come out, if you run the
cable over you are in for a bang. Finally, and most important, it is
comfortable in your hand, is the switch in the right place. You try
working accuratyly with a tool that hurts when you use it.

Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Cartmell wrote:
Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut
Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm cut 18mm rebate
B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate
Bosch 500W 1,800 rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate
WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow price, or
what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the range. I'm looking
for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but need one that will
actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list in Argos is handy that
doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

I've used the Ferm one, and have no complaints at all, does a fine job.
Other than that the shavings bag is much too small, but thats pretty
minor.

It'll be 18,000 rather than 1800 rpm. Steel (non tct) blades are just
about useless on an electric planer. The one big q is how easy or hard
is it to set the blade alignment when you replace them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
Argos have 5 planers in their new catalogue (p285) - in price order:
Challenge 650W 15,000 rpm 2mm cut Challenge Xtreme 900W 15,000 rpm 3mm
cut 18mm rebate B&D 900W 17,000 rpm 3mm cut 15mm rebate Bosch 500W 1,800
rpm 1.5mm cut 0-8mm rebate WORX 900W 12,000 rpm 3mm cut 24mm rebate

With such a range (500-900W and 1,800-17,000rpm) that doesn't follow
price, or what I'd guess was quality, I'd appreciate comments on the
range. I'm looking for one that won't cost much as use will be low - but
need one that will actually work properly and safely. And whilst a list
in Argos is handy that doesn't mean that's where I'll buy it.

Comments?

Thanks for those received to now.

I've used the Ferm one, and have no complaints at all, does a fine job.
Other than that the shavings bag is much too small, but thats pretty minor.

It'll be 18,000 rather than 1800 rpm.

That makes more sense.

Steel (non tct) blades are just about useless on an electric planer. The
one big q is how easy or hard is it to set the blade alignment when you
replace them.

So any experience on that question?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Housemartin

I have also been using the Bosch for about Three and a half years now
at least once a fortnight on average, it's a very good value tool as
far as cheap planers go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
Housemartin wrote:

I have also been using the Bosch for about Three and a half years now
at least once a fortnight on average, it's a very good value tool as
far as cheap planers go.

Which Bosch? Looking through Screwfix shows 4 more Bosch planers priced 55 to
180 GBP in addition to the Argos one at 50?