Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What finish for a walnut bracelet?

I just finished carving my wife a bracelet out of some walnut I had laying
around. Now it's time to throw on some finish and I'm not sure what to do.
I'm sure this thing will take a ton of abuse, but I can't say I'd want to it
to look like I dipped it in plastic.

Recommendations?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wax... just like Lignum Vitae finishing. Johnson's Floor Wax.... multiple
coats across many days. Wait at least 24 hrs between coats. Use steel wool
to prepare for the first 3 coats, then cotton rags after. It will last a
life-time and easy to touch up when dinged.
Steve

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
I just finished carving my wife a bracelet out of some walnut I had laying
around. Now it's time to throw on some finish and I'm not sure what to do.
I'm sure this thing will take a ton of abuse, but I can't say I'd want to
it to look like I dipped it in plastic.

Recommendations?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 10:27*am, "CraigT" wrote:
I just finished carving my wife a bracelet out of some walnut I had laying
around. Now it's time to throw on some finish and I'm not sure what to do.
I'm sure this thing will take a ton of abuse, but I can't say I'd want to it
to look like I dipped it in plastic.

Recommendations?

I think on a bracelet, I would use something like a polyurethane
finish..once if it dry they will be no bleed off of worry of rub off
finish on the skin and there should not be any skin irratation with
it.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

CraigT wrote:
I just finished carving my wife a bracelet out of some walnut I had laying
around. Now it's time to throw on some finish and I'm not sure what to do.
I'm sure this thing will take a ton of abuse, but I can't say I'd want to it
to look like I dipped it in plastic.

Recommendations?

I use two coats of tung oil on my wooden bracelets, then wax.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Snow and adolescence are the only
problems that go away if ignored long
enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 11:27 am, "CraigT" wrote:
I just finished carving my wife a bracelet out of some walnut I had laying
around. Now it's time to throw on some finish and I'm not sure what to do.
I'm sure this thing will take a ton of abuse, but I can't say I'd want to it
to look like I dipped it in plastic.

Recommendations?

Walnut is a wood noted for provoking allergic reactions.
For that reason I would suggest a finish that would effectively
seal it, preferably one that is itself as hypoallegenic as
possible,.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 1:50 pm, randyswoodshoop wrote:

I think on a bracelet, I would use something like a polyurethane
finish..once if it dry they will be no bleed off of worry of rub off
finish on the skin and there should not be any skin irratation with

I am with you 100%.

I think a water resistive finish is a must. When a little sweat
(sorry, "glow") hits the bracelet and penetrates a wax finish, the
oils in the walnut will come out. And it wouldn't be too great to
have that bracelet turn someone's arm purple. Not good at all.

Finish with poly, and steel wood to the proper sheen. I would think
since it is only a bracelet, you don't have to put more than a couple
of coats on it. I would just buy a rattle can and be done with it.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Walnut is a wood noted for provoking allergic reactions.
For that reason I would suggest a finish that would effectively
seal it, preferably one that is itself as hypoallegenic as
possible,.

Shellac maybe? Easy to renew the finish since a new
coat dissolves the surface of the last coat, forming
a single layer coating - and you can EAT IT - FDA says
so.

Walnut Oil as a finish John Woodturning 5 May 23rd 08 02:56 AM
Walnut Finish SGM Woodworking 2 August 6th 07 11:58 PM
walnut finish [email protected] Woodworking 3 October 26th 05 04:59 PM
Best finish for Walnut? nivek Woodworking 12 September 8th 04 06:38 PM
Walnut finish Neil Cummins Woodworking 5 February 11th 04 12:37 AM