Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Walnut and Glue

I've done a bit of glue-ups. Most have been successful. Some have been
disastrous, but with each failure, I've been able to figure out what I
did wrong and not repeat it too many times. All have been with pine,
maple, or oak.

At this point, the glue-ups I find easiest to do are laminations or edge
gluing. If the surfaces are clean and planed smooth, and the clamping
pressure is enough, the joint will hold for me.

The other day I went to the kindling pile to get some wood for turning a
knob. I didn't have the size I needed, so I decided to take 2 pieces and
face-glue them together to give me the thickness I needed. I'm fairly
sure the pieces were walnut. The glue was Titebond III

The first two pieces fell apart by hand. I was in a hurry and used weak
clamps. I also didn't wait long enough for the glue to bond.

The second two pieces went better but fell apart when I was turning on
the lathe. Same for the third set. Both of the second sets had much
stronger clamps and I waited a full day.

In all cases, the faces were flat and smooth, planed by hand.

What am I doing wrong?

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well, Walnut has nothing to do with it. The glue may not be fully cured and
with a joint spinning and pulling it could fail if not properly cured.
Walnut is NOT incredibly strong, did the joint fail or did the wood fail
close to the joint?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tanus wrote:
The other day I went to the kindling pile to get some wood for turning a
knob. I didn't have the size I needed, so I decided to take 2 pieces and
face-glue them together to give me the thickness I needed. I'm fairly
sure the pieces were walnut. The glue was Titebond III

The first two pieces fell apart by hand. I was in a hurry and used weak
clamps. I also didn't wait long enough for the glue to bond.

Well, that's obvious enough...

The second two pieces went better but fell apart when I was turning on
the lathe. Same for the third set. Both of the second sets had much
stronger clamps and I waited a full day.

In all cases, the faces were flat and smooth, planed by hand.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't really have a clue -- a glue joint of that type should be
possible to make hold stronger than the wood itself simply w/ a "rub
fit" even w/o clamping at all.

I have only a few guesses (and they're all simply that w/ no more data
or observation)...

1. The source of the material from the woodpile makes me wonder--was
this dry lumber or scrap firewood that could possibly be wet? Seems
unlikely, but we're searching here...

2. The glue is old or your simply not using sufficient amount to get
good glue surface. Since same symptom w/ "weak" or "stronger" clamps,
I'm assuming you're not clamping to the point of glue starvation, but
that's another possibility.

3. Surfaces aren't very flat or are excessively burnished so no
porosity for glue. Would be very difficult w/ walnut given it's
open-pored characteristics but again...

I can think of very few glue joints that didn't hold ever over 30 years
and virtually all of them could be attributed to either trying to make
ill-fitting pieces stick or pushing the envelope of temperature (cold)
on the glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:13:04 -0400, Tanus
wrote:

[...]

Howdy,

Is there any possibility that, at some point, the glue had
frozen?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

Too much pressure will result in a glue-starved joint. I think many
people go overboard on the clamping pressure with Titebond and the
like.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Allow the glue to cure 2 days before working the piece, longer if the
piece is large. Make sure the mating surfaces fit well before you
apply glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
[...]

Hard to say but it is obvious that either your glue is no good or the wood
surfaces being glued were "dirty". I suspect the latter.

Was the "kindling pile" inside or outside? Did you machine or sand the wood
surfaces to be glued so that you had nice fresh, dry, unoxidized,
unweathered wood for the glue?

BTW, clamp pressure depends much on the hardness of the wood; butternut is
soft, doesn't need as much pressure as walnut which is harder and walnut
doesn't need as much as hickory which is very hard. Same thing for
planarity of surfaces...one can get a satisfactory glue job with two
relatively rough, non-matching butternut surfaces by increasing the clamp
pressure...can't do that with hickory - or at least I can't.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think I see a problem here. Try this:
Go to the lumber yard and get a "pine" 1 x what ever( ask for a cull it is
cheaper and will work fine). Cut the board into 2 inch wide strips about 10
inches long. Get a NEW bottle of glue, I like Titebond ll but any white or
yellow glue will work, Try to stay away from Titebond lll for this. Now
take two strips and put glue on about 6 inches on the end of one of them and
put them together so that you have a unglued surface on each end and the
glue joint in the middle ( you should have a "handle" on each end of the
glued up wood). Clamp and set aside to dry. You should do this with
several samples, changing the amount of glue, clamping pressure etc with
each sample, one with a lot of glue so that is runs out of the joint, one
with very little glue, one with glue spread evenly on one surface, one with
glue spread on both surfaces etc etc.. You should vary your clamping
method, strong clamp, light clamp, tape for clamp etc. Allow to dry for a
least 4 hours the longer the better. When cured take one of the "handles"
and place in a vice and whack the other end with a hammer until the joint
breaks, Look at the broken joint and you will see which method is strongest
and best for you. All wood should act pretty much the same with what ever
gluing method and glue you used, some better some worse depending on the
glue and wood but similar. Now you have a gluing method to use. Next on
the faces of the boards you glued up, you hand planned them, are you sure
that you got them perfectly flat? I find it hard to get them perfectly flat
with a hand plane, it seems to work better with a planner or jointer when
doing face glue ups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too much pressure will result in a glue-starved joint.

I read some research that proved this to be an old wives tale. Joints
can be glue starved, BUT not at the pressure generated by hand clamps.
The study was scientifically done and reported in a woodworking mag.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe the glue was old???

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

For certain values of "scientifically". And hardly "old wives tale"
when the glue manufacturers agree with years of serious research by
the likes of Forest Products Laboratories that for each type of glue
there is an optimal glue line thickness, the achievement of which
depends on the type of wood, the grain orientation, the viscosity of
the glue, and the clamping pressure.

Yep. And for hard maple and PVA the optimal glue line thickness
resulted from very high pressures...substantially more than the 250psi
that is at the upper end of Franklin's recommendations.

However, as "dpb" mentioned, optimal is not normally necessary, and
quite adequate joints can be made at much lower pressure.

As for "the pressure generated by hand clamps", how much pressure is
that? That depends on the joint geometry. Don't confuse "force" with
"pressure".

Absolutely true. Common misconception.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Too much pressure will result in a glue-starved joint. I think many
people go overboard on the clamping pressure with Titebond and the
like.

No, it will not, that is an old wives tale. The only way you get glue
starvation is to not apply enough in the first place or scrape it all off
during insertion. A mortise and tennon joint that fits too tightly can
scrape all the glue off during assembly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Did you do the "TV woodworker" type of glue up -- squirt a little glue on
one side and press together -- for the best bond, glue should be spread
evenly and lightly on both pieces and then clamped together. For working on
the final result, wait 24 hours, even though it looks glued, it may not be
set strong enough to withstand pressures and stresses.

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
The other day I went to the kindling pile to get some wood for turning a
knob. I didn't have the size I needed, so I decided to take 2 pieces and
face-glue them together to give me the thickness I needed. I'm fairly
sure the pieces were walnut. The glue was Titebond III

The first two pieces fell apart by hand. I was in a hurry and used weak
clamps. I also didn't wait long enough for the glue to bond.

The second two pieces went better but fell apart when I was turning on
the lathe. Same for the third set. Both of the second sets had much
stronger clamps and I waited a full day.

two things come to mind:
1 - bad glue - i'd consider this most likely - go to the borg and get a
new bottle of titebond and try again.

2 - oily wood? Don't know what your kindling pile is, so is it possible
your two pieces are not walnut, but a more tropical wood that has a high
oil content?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

For certain values of "scientifically". And hardly "old wives
tale"
when the glue manufacturers agree with years of serious research by
the likes of Forest Products Laboratories that for each type of
glue
there is an optimal glue line thickness, the achievement of which
depends on the type of wood, the grain orientation, the viscosity
of
the glue, and the clamping pressure.

Yep. And for hard maple and PVA the optimal glue line thickness
resulted from very high pressures...substantially more than the
250psi
that is at the upper end of Franklin's recommendations.

If one needs "very high pressures" to achieve 3-6 mil bond line
thickness then one is applying too much glue. Note that the table of
"recommended clamping pressures" in the Roman Rablej article in Fine
Woodworking appears to have been pulled out of Rablej's ass. He gives
no source for it at all.

However, as "dpb" mentioned, optimal is not normally necessary, and
quite adequate joints can be made at much lower pressure.

Which is beside the point.

As for "the pressure generated by hand clamps", how much pressure
is
that? That depends on the joint geometry. Don't confuse "force"
with "pressure".

Absolutely true. Common misconception.

Chris

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

If one needs "very high pressures" to achieve 3-6 mil bond line
thickness then one is applying too much glue. Note that the table of
"recommended clamping pressures" in the Roman Rablej article in Fine
Woodworking appears to have been pulled out of Rablej's ass. He gives
no source for it at all.

It may not be the case that a 3-6 mil thickness is always ideal. If so,
then higher pressures may be better.

As "dpb" mentioned in this newsgroup when the FWW article came out, I'd
guess the pressures came from Rabiej's paper:

"The Effect of Clamping Pressure and Orthotropic Wood Structure on the
Strength of Glued Bonds", Wood and Fiber Science Vol. 24, No. 3, July 1992.

From the abstract at
"http://swst.metapress.com/content/1050536165217317/?p=8b5006db06be4640acd2801679e46c4e&pi=3"

"...Using this concept, the optimum clamping pressure for sugar maple
was found to be 0.3 times compression strength using U-F glue and 0.5
times using PVAc glue. This approach to determining reliable clamping
pressure data can lead to improved gluing practice and more precise
testing procedures."

Using the FPL tables, this gives a bit over 700psi for PVA glue.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

If one needs "very high pressures" to achieve 3-6 mil bond line
thickness then one is applying too much glue. Note that the table
of
"recommended clamping pressures" in the Roman Rablej article in
Fine
Woodworking appears to have been pulled out of Rablej's ass. He
gives no source for it at all.

It may not be the case that a 3-6 mil thickness is always ideal.

Do you have evidence that it is not?

If
so,
then higher pressures may be better.

How about just applying the right thickness to begin with instead of
glomming it on and trying to squeeze it out with clamps?

As "dpb" mentioned in this newsgroup when the FWW article came out,
I'd
guess the pressures came from Rabiej's paper:

"The Effect of Clamping Pressure and Orthotropic Wood Structure on
the
Strength of Glued Bonds", Wood and Fiber Science Vol. 24, No. 3,
July
1992.

From the abstract at
"http://swst.metapress.com/content/1050536165217317/?p=8b5006db06be4640acd2801679e46c4e&pi=3"

"...Using this concept, the optimum clamping pressure for sugar
maple
was found to be 0.3 times compression strength using U-F glue and
0.5
times using PVAc glue. This approach to determining reliable
clamping
pressure data can lead to improved gluing practice and more precise
testing procedures."

Using the FPL tables, this gives a bit over 700psi for PVA glue.

But (a) how much difference does he see (I'm not really interesting in
paying 25 bucks to find out) and (b) has anybody replicated his
results?

Personally I'll take FPL's recommendations based on decades of
experience backed by research over one unreplicated paper.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

From the abstract at
"http://swst.metapress.com/content/1050536165217317/?p=8b5006db06be4640acd2801679e46c4e&pi=3"

"...Using this concept, the optimum clamping pressure for sugar
maple
was found to be 0.3 times compression strength using U-F glue and
0.5
times using PVAc glue. This approach to determining reliable
clamping
pressure data can lead to improved gluing practice and more precise
testing procedures."

Using the FPL tables, this gives a bit over 700psi for PVA glue.

But (a) how much difference does he see (I'm not really interesting in
paying 25 bucks to find out) and (b) has anybody replicated his
results?

Personally I'll take FPL's recommendations based on decades of
experience backed by research over one unreplicated paper.

The guy is a prof in industrial processes at a university w/, it
appears, something like 20 years or so of experience and a fairly long
list of published and contract works from various sources including FPL
and wood manufacturing businesses. From that, I would presume his work
has been considered valuable or he wouldn't continue to hold the
position and find clients.

OTOH, it does appear that his work is mostly for large, automated
industrial processes so that I think his results aren't of great import
to most small shops or individuals as is the general readership of r.w
nor do I think most of FWW's readership is of the same type/style of
manufacturing as that to which his research is/was directed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Well, Walnut has nothing to do with it. The glue may not be fully cured and
with a joint spinning and pulling it could fail if not properly cured.
Walnut is NOT incredibly strong, did the joint fail or did the wood fail
close to the joint?

Sorry guys.I should have given more information.

All joints failed at the glue. In other words, the pieces pretty much
fell apart with no wood breaking.

The glue hasn't frozen but it has been cold. I've used the glue recently
and it's worked fine. Although I keep the glue in an unheated shop, the
cabinet it's stored in is heated throughout the winter. Buying new glue
is what I'll do next.

I liked the idea of staving the joint until more than a few of you said
that likely wasn't the case, which is bringing me back to bad glue.

The faces were hand planed and very smooth to the touch. No sanding
after planing. I squeezed the glue in a zig zag along both surfaces and
then smoothed with a finger so the glue was even on both.

There is some doubt in my mind about the wood being walnut. I'll verify
that later. However, the wood from the kindling pile was very dry. I get
my kindling from a cabinet shop locally, and store it in a shed before
and after sawing it to length.

I'll get some more glue and try this thing again. In the interim, I made
my knobs from other stock, but this idea of glue failing is not one I
want to repeat.

Thanks all of you for the replies. I didn't think this was going to
generate so much. I'm glad I asked.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Remember your experience with epoxy?

Patience is a virtue.

Neither epoxy or TiteBond like cold weather or being put to work
before they are ready.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:33:50 -0400, Tanus
wrote:

The glue hasn't frozen but it has been cold. I've used the glue recently
and it's worked fine. Although I keep the glue in an unheated shop, the
cabinet it's stored in is heated throughout the winter. Buying new glue
is what I'll do next.

Howdy,

'Just curious...

How do you heat the cabinet?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Tanus" wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Remember your experience with epoxy?

Patience is a virtue.

Neither epoxy or TiteBond like cold weather or being put to work
before they are ready.

Lew

LOL. Lew, you have a memory like my wife's. What's worse, you and she
are right way too many times.

But, you have a point. The epoxy failed the first time precisely because
of the cold. This time, I really dunno. I'll get some new glue and give
it another whirl.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

LOL. Lew, you have a memory like my wife's. What's worse, you and
she are right way too many times.

But, you have a point.

I know, but I comb my hair so it covers itG

I'll get some new glue and give it another whirl.

Why not use the epoxy you already have?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Tanus" wrote:

LOL. Lew, you have a memory like my wife's. What's worse, you and
she are right way too many times.

But, you have a point.

I know, but I comb my hair so it covers itG

I'll get some new glue and give it another whirl.

Why not use the epoxy you already have?

It's old by now, too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The glue hasn't frozen but it has been cold. I've used the glue recently
and it's worked fine. Although I keep the glue in an unheated shop, the
cabinet it's stored in is heated throughout the winter. Buying new glue
is what I'll do next.

Howdy,

'Just curious...

How do you heat the cabinet?

Thanks,

Hi Ken,

I can't remember what these things are called, but they're sold as
copper line heaters to prevent the water line from freezing. I got mine
at the Borg. 120 volt with a simple bimetallic strip thermostat. They
look like extension cords and give off enough heat to keep the line from
freezing but are not too hot to handle with bare hands. Lengths vary
from 6' to 25' or more.

I've lined a cupboard with Styrofoam SM and put a couple of these line
heaters around the perimeter. It keeps the cabinet warm enough for my
glues, water stones and anything else I need to keep from freezing. The
rest of the shop can get down to about -30° C but the cabinet stays
above freezing.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tanus wrote:
... I'll get some new glue and give
it another whirl.

Out of (more or less idle) curiosity, any idea how old what you used
actually is? IIRC, a year is the suggested shelf life for TB III, but
I've seen no change in gluing properties of that kept far longer.

It does tend to thicken somewhat and get stringy, but as noted on the
container, a jarring of the container (not stirring, but vibrating) will
reconstitute its properties unless it is, indeed, too far gone. (It's a
very unusual-behaving material in that regard; I've never observed a
similar characteristic in any other material).

Also iirc, the chalk temperature is 47 F, so if it is cool at night yet
still above freezing, even if the glue is warm enough being stored in
the heated cabinet, if the wood is colder than that, it will cool the
glue and the result could be the failure of the type you observe. Does
the glue surface appear to be dry and chalky after the failures? If so,
that would be a very suggestive indicator of low temperature. I had
forgotten to mention the wood temperature as well as glue before.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

Some woods such as Hond. cherry have oil in them and the surface needs
to be wipe with Acetone just prior to gluing, otherwise it will just
seperate as I found out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

It's old by now, too?

After 5 years, might want to check it.

Before that, use it.

Lew

PS: That's assuming it is stored properly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

I can't remember what these things are called, but they're sold as
copper line heaters to prevent the water line from freezing.

Where I come from they are known as heat tapes.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

I bought my current Titebond in early 2008, Jan or Feb. All temps, glue,
wood and environment,
were above 60 when the glueing was done, but overnite temps may have
dipped into the 40s. I bring glueups into the house in the winter, but
don't in spring/summer. This piece was so small, it would have been easy
to bring it inside to cure overnite, but it never entered my mind.

You may have something here.

I"m still going to get new glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Tanus" wrote:

LOL. Lew, you have a memory like my wife's. What's worse, you and
she are right way too many times.

But, you have a point.

I know, but I comb my hair so it covers itG

I'll get some new glue and give it another whirl.

Why not use the epoxy you already have?

Lew

I could have. That epoxy is stored inside and I'm sure it's fine. It's
also expensive as hell, and I don't want to use it for ordinary
glue-ups. I'm certainly a convert, Lew. The stuff is amazing in
tough-to-fix jobs, but for this, if I had considered it, would have
seemed a waste. I'm also sure that it would have worked well.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:30:29 -0400, Tanus wrote:

dpb wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

Back in high school wood shop days we would glue poplar up for lathe
turnings. We would glue a sacrificial piece on the bottom of the stack
with a piece of newspaper between the good stuff and the sacrificial.
When we were done turning we would pop off the sacrificial piece. It
somehow survive turnings. I do not know how safe the practice was but
I do not recall any disasters. I would bet we let that glued up stuff
dry a few days in a 70 degree shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

I could have. That epoxy is stored inside and I'm sure it's fine.
It's also expensive as hell, and I don't want to use it for ordinary
glue-ups. I'm certainly a convert, Lew. The stuff is amazing in
tough-to-fix jobs, but for this, if I had considered it, would have
seemed a waste. I'm also sure that it would have worked well.

Prices vary widely for epoxy and amount purchased has a major impact
on pricing.

Not sure what "It's also expensive as hell" means price wise, but a 1
gallon kit is worth a look.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I'm mostly corn-fused about glue thickness and pressure. Fine
for a lab or industrial setting, but for me it seems reasonable to put
a smooth coating on both sides, them clamp "tightly." When I've tried
to break glue joints later, the wood separates indicating the glue was
strong enough.

In the OP, the one thing I noticed was the lack of time between gluing
and working. I think the Titebond label says something like "sets in
30 mins, full strength in 24 hours." I always wait 'bout an hour to
unclamp, then overnight before I trust the joint. And if I don't need
the clamps right away, they usually remain clamped overnight.

I think all of the above suggestions have merit, but the big factor
would seem to be the time between gluing and working.

Hope this helps.....
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

rich wrote:
In the OP, the one thing I noticed was the lack of time between gluing
and working. I think the Titebond label says something like "sets in
30 mins, full strength in 24 hours." I always wait 'bout an hour to
unclamp, then overnight before I trust the joint. And if I don't need
the clamps right away, they usually remain clamped overnight.

I think all of the above suggestions have merit, but the big factor
would seem to be the time between gluing and working.

Hope this helps.....

Quite possibly the key, particularly if it was cool as appears may have
been from followup. TB III is slower-drying than either I or II which
has advantages, but it does require longer before working. I guess I
may have overlooked that detail in initial reading.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 26, 6:13*pm, Tanus wrote:
...I'm fairly
sure the pieces were walnut. *The glue was Titebond III

The first two pieces fell apart by hand. I was in a hurry and used weak
clamps. I also didn't wait long enough for the glue to bond.

The second two pieces went better but fell apart when I was turning on
the lathe. Same for the third set.

In all cases, the faces were flat and smooth, planed by hand.

Two good possibilities: the wood may be too wet, or
resinous, and the glue isn't 'taking'. Or, your plane
could need sharpening (the pressure on a plane
blade can collapse the little cellulose tubes, and they
won't wick up the glue if they're not open).

Scuff-sanding after flattening the wood will deal with possibility
number two. Epoxy or polyurethane or hide glue
might work better on resinous woods.

Lamination is in some senses an easier gluing task than
making glue-up chunks, because of the large glue area.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:37:56 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

(the pressure on a plane
blade can collapse the little cellulose tubes, and they
won't wick up the glue if they're not open).

Howdy,

Could you say a bit more about that...?

It seems to me that the comment would make sense only for
end grain, so I suspect I am missing something.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Walnut & CA Glue Brandon Woodworking 7 February 22nd 07 05:46 PM
Black Walnut Grafted to English Walnut Question... Schroeder Woodworking 9 October 16th 05 06:05 AM
Walnut lumber, barn wood and a walnut stump: for sale - Kansas City area James Hendrix Woodworking 5 August 21st 05 05:53 AM
Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber? Leon Woodworking 43 November 26th 04 11:07 PM
Black Walnut or Puruvian Walnut? Leon Woodworking 2 April 25th 04 03:30 PM