Charlie Self

Default Benchtop Tool Weight

A couple new tools recently have added to my appreciation of lightweight,
because they aren't.

My Ryobi 13" planer started the awakening, as this "portable" models weighs
over 100 pounds. Last week, I got a benchtop Craftsman jointer with enough cast
iron in it to bring it up to 105 pounds, assembled and face planing osage
orange.

The thing is, with my current set-up, I have no space for individual stands, so
these get swung up onto the workbench for use (the planer sometimes get used on
the floor), which is a lot less fun than it used to be.

Both do a better job than any bench top tools I've had in the past, but
somewhere there should be a dividing line, maybe 60 pounds, for TRUE bench
toppers.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Groggy

"Charlie Self" said...
A couple new tools recently have added to my appreciation of lightweight,
because they aren't.

"Portable", as brought to you by the same people who redefined "horse
power".

I don't envy you picking those things up to put them on a bench Charlie, can
you rig up a small block and tackle to do the lift for you?

Greg

Charlie Self

Groggy writes:

"Charlie Self" said...
A couple new tools recently have added to my appreciation of lightweight,
because they aren't.

"Portable", as brought to you by the same people who redefined "horse
power".

Actually, those are just the 2 I have. With some minor exceptions, EVERY
portable planer now is withing peeing distance of 100 pounds. There aren't that
many "portable" jointers out there, so I've not checked.

I don't envy you picking those things up to put them on a bench Charlie, can
you rig up a small block and tackle to do the lift for you

I've got an engine crane from my manual writing and tool testing days, but
really, it's too much hassle for 100 pounds. I probably need the exercise, but
I don't LIKE it.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Bob Davis

Don't take chances on your back! 100 pounds is too much weight for anybody
any age to be hefting. I learned the hard way how much stress gets put on
the cervical spine when you lift weight. "lifting with the legs" does not
remove the stress in the upper back when you lift. I never had back trouble
in my life then POOF! I showed up with three herniated disks.

I'd spend the time to implement some kind of hydraulic or pulley system. You
may have a longer life in the shop, if you do.

Bob

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Groggy writes:

"Charlie Self" said...
[...]

BRuce

or a flip top mobile stand, if they weight about the same flipping will
be easier then lifting.

BRuce

Bob Davis wrote:

Don't take chances on your back! 100 pounds is too much weight for anybody
any age to be hefting. I learned the hard way how much stress gets put on
the cervical spine when you lift weight. "lifting with the legs" does not
remove the stress in the upper back when you lift. I never had back trouble
in my life then POOF! I showed up with three herniated disks.

I'd spend the time to implement some kind of hydraulic or pulley system. You
may have a longer life in the shop, if you do.

Bob

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

"Charlie Self" said...

--
---

BRuce

Dan Parrell

Charlie why not install a simple pulley over the bench using a clothes
line,on one end add a bucket with equal weights in it to the other end as
the planer,jointer install a tie off point for the bucket with a snap hook.
[...]

mel

My Dewalt 735 planer which is listed as "portable" has a sticker on it
stating 2 people required for lifting. So apparently
weight/people=portability.

--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

Charlie Self

Bob Davis writes:

I'd spend the time to implement some kind of hydraulic or pulley system. You
may have a longer life in the shop, if you do.

Several problems with that. First, there's no room to implement much of
anything in this 1 car garage with almost no power. Second, I don't want to
spend cent one on anything in this shop because we've got the house up for
sale. Third, when I move back to Virginia, if I keep the benchtop tools I've
got here, I'll have plenty of room: my shop there is freestanding 1200 sf.

So, for now, it's ugh and up and not as big an ug and down. Probably not as bad
for me as the barbells and dumbbells I used to lift...and sometimes still do.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard asks:

Remember the first "portable" computers?

Heh. Yeah. My KayPro weighed about 23 pounds.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Swingman

It's all age related, IME. At 60, I notice how much more difficult it is to
add the riser to my "benchtop" mortiser these days, and to get it onto the
bench at times ... in my case, it has nothing to do with back problems, of
which I've never had any. This coming from someone who, when 17, thought
nothing of carrying two tons of 100lb sacks of feed, TWO at a time, to the
barn through ankle deep mud with rubber boots on ... rain and mud somehow
ALWAYS conspired with the feed delivery truck, who was thus forced to drop
it off at the gate, 400 yards from the barn.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

Don't take chances on your back! 100 pounds is too much weight for anybody
any age to be hefting.

Randy Chapman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
A couple new tools recently have added to my appreciation of lightweight,
because they aren't.

My Ryobi 13" planer started the awakening, as this "portable" models

weighs
over 100 pounds. Last week, I got a benchtop Craftsman jointer with enough

cast
iron in it to bring it up to 105 pounds, assembled and face planing osage
orange.

Yeah, that Ryobi planer is a bit heavy. I just moved mine around twice in
the last week. Not too bad; but I'm only 29 :-)

However, you should see my "benchtop" drill press. 1978 1/2 horse 110/220
motor, cast iron base and table, metal cover on the pulleys. 12-speed 14"
model. The planer I will move up and down off the floor myself without
struggling much. The drill press, otoh -- I'm worried about moving it from
it's current bench to it's new wheeled one that I'm building, even though
they'll be right next to each other, and the wheeled one is lower.

I've seen a couple posts from people who used some sort of pulley system to
raise and lower their tools to/from the workbench. Might you be able to do
something like that?

Thanks,
--randy

Silvan

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Remember the first "portable" computers?

The PC Luggable?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Bob Davis

Something very sneaky is killing backs - too much time on the computer
hunched over the keyboard. I have more pain and distress when I am on the
computer. I can go out in the shop and do physical work and start feeling
better.

Bob

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

Don't take chances on your back! 100 pounds is too much weight for

anybody
any age to be hefting.

Greg G.

Bob Davis thus spake:

Something very sneaky is killing backs - too much time on the computer
hunched over the keyboard. I have more pain and distress when I am on the
computer. I can go out in the shop and do physical work and start feeling
better.

Here, Here! Not to mention the cramped carpal tunnel hands and
headaches and blurry vision from staring at an X-Ray machine too long.

Greg G.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Silvan wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Remember the first "portable" computers?

The PC Luggable?

*SNORT* That one was 'third generation', at least.

The first of the 'portables' predated the IBM PC, and even PC-/MS-DOS.
The "Kaypro 1" was a CP/M machine. And it had competitors.

Then there was the Osborne I, and some competitors, in the PC-compatible world.

*Then* came the IBM "Portable PC". late to the market, as usual.

Charlie Self

Robert Bonomi recalls:

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Remember the first "portable" computers?

The PC Luggable?

*SNORT* That one was 'third generation', at least.

The first of the 'portables' predated the IBM PC, and even PC-/MS-DOS.
The "Kaypro 1" was a CP/M machine. And it had competitors.

I loved my old KayPro (new at the time, 20+ years ago). But it cost a ton and
weighed almost the same. I think I still have a photo of a desk I knocked
together for a Georgia-Pacific booklet, with the KP sitting up top like the
hottest thing on the block. It wasn't, but it also wasn't far behind. I didn't
get as close to cutting edge again until earlier this year, and, in fact, this
one was behind from the start...only gamers really keep up.

IIRC, the Osborne was on shaky legs about '82 or '83, then I had a fire (this
is NOT a habit, but seems to happen every 19 years or so) in August of '84 and
had to get a new KayPro...that was either the 1X or the 2X. Had 2 floppy drives
instead of 1.

Amazing advance.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

year, and, in fact, this one was behind from the start...only gamers
really keep up.

Only wealthy gamers really keep up. When I was a gamer, I was still always
at least two steps behind.

Now I'm really behind. It's a sad day when the Wal-Mart blitz throwaway POS
$500 computer is 270% faster than yours.

If I just wait a bit longer I'll get my dual 10 GHz SMP box for that price,
with a 20" HDTV flat screen monitor and a coffee maker built in.