Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disc Sander Dust

I've been getting a lot of use out of my homemade disk sander, but I tend
to get a lot of dust thrown about with it. I do most my sanding work on
the downside of the rotation, so the dust would be thrown towards the base
but some hangs on and is thrown further.

If I installed a trap, such as a piece of angled wood, would it reduce the
amount of dust that gets free? Do I need to do something else?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

When we used one at the shop about 600 cfm of dust collection seemed
to keep the dust down a bit.

On 16 May 2008 07:11:34 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've been getting a lot of use out of my homemade disk sander, but I tend
to get a lot of dust thrown about with it. I do most my sanding work on
the downside of the rotation, so the dust would be thrown towards the base
but some hangs on and is thrown further.

If I installed a trap, such as a piece of angled wood, would it reduce the
amount of dust that gets free? Do I need to do something else?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 May 2008 07:11:34 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've been getting a lot of use out of my homemade disk sander, but I tend
to get a lot of dust thrown about with it. I do most my sanding work on
the downside of the rotation, so the dust would be thrown towards the base
but some hangs on and is thrown further.

If I installed a trap, such as a piece of angled wood, would it reduce the
amount of dust that gets free? Do I need to do something else?

Puckdropper

Just yesterday I was turning and then sanding an oak spindle. I
spring-clamped the 4" DC hose just under the spindle and it looked
like it continuously sucked the dust. The pattern was rather cool--it
looked like an ocean wave. Sanding and bandsaw work produce a lot of
fine dust. Your dust collector can work wonders for cleanup and your
lungs--use it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Behning wrote in
:

When we used one at the shop about 600 cfm of dust collection seemed
to keep the dust down a bit.

I don't have a dust collector, what could I do to make a shop vac more
efficient?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't have a dust collector, what could I do to make a shop vac more
efficient?

shopvacs don't make very good collectors for machines that produce a
lot of fine dust, but you can do a few things to improve the
situation. first, make sure that the vac filter is clean and that the
hoses are airtight and not kinked. build a shroud around the disk
sander that makes the air flow the direction of rotation and directs
it into the vac intake. you'll probably need to experiment a bit to
get a shroud shape that flows well and collects the maximum dust while
still allowing you to use the machine in all of the ways you want to.
you may even end up with parts that you remove to for instance get to
the edge for some operations or to allow sanding of long boards. but
generally a shroud that encloses the full circumference will catch the
most dust.

mostly I end up making dust control shrouds from plywood, sheet metal
and plumbing fittings.