Dave

Default Belt / Disc Sander?

Some time back there were some enthusiastic comments here on stationary
belt sanders. Any opinions on the HF 6852 which is now $160 at the HF
retail outlets?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6852

Grant Erwin

Dave wrote:
Some time back there were some enthusiastic comments here on stationary
belt sanders. Any opinions on the HF 6852 which is now $160 at the HF
retail outlets?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6852

I had one of these briefly recently. Real POS compared to my Jet. The biggest
drawback I saw was no belt guards at all and only one table which you had
to switch from the disk to the belt positions. It is cheap, though. The motor
looked about as cheap as a motor can look and still run, too.

Would it work? Probably, sort of, for awhile. Would you like it? I really
doubt it.

The 6x48/12" disk sanders are much better machines, although the HF one
is pretty crummy looking. Compare it to
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1183

which is more like it.

GWE

You get what you pay for.
Those cheapie HF sanders are not very good.

In my mind, the minimum acceptable belt/disc combo is the Jet 12"/6x48.
This is a real tool, that will last a long time. We use one in a 3 man
shop, running stainless steel and other tough stuff into it all day
long, and it has lasted 8 years so far.
Unfortunately, its not $160- try $850.
Up market from that, the Wilton, and Powermatic are both good- All 3
companies are owned by WMH, a swiss company.
Delta used to make a good one, with a fully enclosed base, not sure if
the new ones are still as good. Most new Delta tools are not made in
the US anymore, so you might as well buy Jet.
A factory reconditioned old Delta is $1500-
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/delta_31-731B.htm
I want a minimum of a horse and a half for metalworking- 2hp is better.

For wood only, you can get away with those little mickey mouse ones,
until they break, or the smoke gets out of the motor.

Dave

Grant Erwin wrote:
Dave wrote:
Some time back there were some enthusiastic comments here
on stationary belt sanders. Any opinions on the HF 6852
which is now $160 at the HF retail outlets?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6852

I had one of these briefly recently. Real POS compared to my Jet.
The biggest drawback I saw was no belt guards at all and only one
table which you had to switch from the disk to the belt positions.
It is cheap, though. The motor looked about as cheap as a motor
can look and still run, too.

Would it work? Probably, sort of, for awhile. Would you like it?
I really doubt it.

The 6x48/12" disk sanders are much better machines, although the
HF one is pretty crummy looking. Compare it to
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1183

which is more like it.

The Grizzly looks nice but it would blow my budget. I went and looked
at the HF and indeed it seems a bit flimsy. As an alternative to stay
in my price range should I consider foregoing the belt? This disc unit
looked fairly sturdy...

I want it for working metal as an alternative to my grinder.