Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Belt sander behavior

I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want
to put up with in that particular tool either.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

No good fer racing then?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

Like Swingman asked, perhaps a soft start feature or maybe an Electronic
Speed Control. I have several tools that act in a similar manner when the
Electronic Speed Control is changed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It has a variable speed feature, but this trigger lag is evident at
all speeds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 4:43*pm, "Micky" wrote:
"Richard Evans" wrote in message

I bought a *new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

No good fer racing then?

Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 2:45*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I bought a *new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line
model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt
*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger
it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the
trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the
same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just
don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want
to put up with in that particular tool either.

...just an aside, Swing... what *is * that sound that Lynyrd Skynyrd's
Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? Sounds a bit like
string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 8:21*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

24 grit?! When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get
tear-out! 24 must be downright nasty.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

24 grit?! *When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get
tear-out! *24 must be downright nasty.

Disclaimer: This is on end-grain butcher-block slabs.

WRT the soft-start on your belt sander....I don't have it on any of
mine, and I'm sure I wouldn't want it.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

24 grit?! *When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get
tear-out! *24 must be downright nasty.

Disclaimer: This is on end-grain butcher-block slabs.

WRT the soft-start on your belt sander....I don't have it on any of
mine, and I'm sure I wouldn't want it.

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's
not an intentional feechur.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

Lew

That would be a challenge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

24 grit?! When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get

tear-out! 24 must be downright nasty.

Think fiberglass and CDX you want to laminate with fiberglass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's
not an intentional feechur.

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":

http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--ca...d_2673634.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 9:19*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Richard Evans" wrote

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's
not an intentional feechur.

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":

http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--ca..._en__productId...

Is it me, or is that the most awkward looking thing ever? Top heavy,
expensive...naaa, I'll stick to my Makeeter... or maybe the baby PC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's
not an intentional feechur.

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":

http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--ca...d_2673634.html

I don't see a model number on this one, so don't know if it's the
same. It looks like mine, except mine is red.

Mine is #26819. See it he

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

No mention of soft start
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

It has a variable speed feature, but this trigger lag is evident at
all speeds.

If the trigger controls the variable speed that might normal if the sander
also has ESC, Electronic speed control. Typically these type tools monitor
the speed of the tool to the location of the trigger and "cruise control" so
to speak. Your are sorta flying by wire.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's
not an intentional feechur.

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":

http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--ca...d_2673634.html

I don't see a model number on this one, so don't know if it's the
same. It looks like mine, except mine is red.

Mine is #26819. See it he

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

No mention of soft start

OK, I took it back and spoke to the manager. It does indeed have the
soft start feature, though he admitted it should've been mentioned in
the packaging. Apparently, it's common, at least in Craftsman tools.
The manager said he has it on a router and really likes it, though I
still can't imagine the benefit of it.

I decided to keep it because at $170 it was far and away the cheapest
4" sander I could find.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 May 2008 16:05:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want
to put up with in that particular tool either.

...just an aside, Swing... what *is * that sound that Lynyrd Skynyrd's
Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? Sounds a bit like
string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.

According to the liner notes, it's Roosevelt Cook playing a Mellotron.
It's about the earliest keyboard instrument that could use sampled
sounds. So early that the samples were on tape. A lot of rock bands
from the Beatles to the Moody Blues used them back in the day.

Originally they were built in England but there is a Canadian company
building them and supplying parts now. They also have CDs with the
original Mellotron sounds.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want
to put up with in that particular tool either.

...just an aside, Swing... what *is * that sound that Lynyrd Skynyrd's
Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? *Sounds a bit like
string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.

According to the liner notes, it's Roosevelt Cook playing a Mellotron.
It's about the earliest keyboard instrument that could use sampled
sounds. *So early that the samples were on tape. *A lot of rock bands
from the Beatles to the Moody Blues used them back in the day.

Originally they were built in England but there is a Canadian company
building them and supplying parts now. * They also have CDs with the
original Mellotron sounds.

Mike O.

Ahhhhh yes..... I just couldn't place it. (No liner notes.) Thanks for
clearing that up for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

...just an aside, Swing... what *is * that sound that Lynyrd Skynyrd's
Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? *Sounds a bit like
string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.

According to the liner notes, it's Roosevelt Cook playing a Mellotron.

Ahhhhh yes..... I just couldn't place it. (No liner notes.) Thanks for
clearing that up for me.

Speaking of samples...have you heard Kid Rock's All Summer Long?
I heard it on the radio the other day and didn't know who did it but
saw him on Letterman the other night. He samples Werewolves Of
London, Sweet Home Alabama and Fly Like An Eagle in this song.
Bob magically turned three pretty good tunes into one mediocre song.

Mike O.